Hotel Golden
Rome 103(Rome)
  • Room Service
  • Pool
2,926 results
All reviewsloria familyvia venetofamily run hotelmamma teresavilla borghesefamily suitespanish stepswalking routeshome away from homeevery morningtrip to romerecommend hotelborghese gallerytrevi fountainwithin walking distancesmall hotelfirst floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 September 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Golden for 3 different nights during the last week of August/first week of September 2010. I selected Hotel Golden after reading countless reviews on Trip Advisor for various hotels in Rome. I was looking for a hotel that was in a safe location, clean and reasonably priced. Hotel Golden fit the bill. The hotel is located one block off of the Via Veneto (one of the most expensive and exclusive streets in Rome). I felt extremely safe walking to and from the hotel at all hours.

We paid 70 Euros a night for two of the nights (i.e. approx $91 USD) & 90 euros for one night (i.e. approx $116 USD) for a small double room. Be aware- a small double room is extremely small. It had a double bed in it and maybe 2 feet walking space around 2 sides of the bed (2 sides were against the wall) and that was the entire room. The bathroom was also extremely small – you could barely move in the shower (I wouldn't recommend this size room for a very tall or larger person). I don't think the room size was out of the ordinary for Europe (although the hotel rooms we stayed in Venice & Positano were much larger) but you should be aware of it.

The breakfast was good (the best one out of the 3 different hotels we stayed at in Italy). Breakfast was a simple assortment of breads, eggs, yogurt, cereal, coffee/tea/juice. The hotel is located on one floor of an office building (you have to get buzzed to enter the building) and then buzzed again to enter the actual hotel. There is an old elevator that worked just fine for getting our bags to the hotel (which was on the second floor).

We arranged through the hotel for a taxi to pick us up from the airport for 40 Euros (cash, including tax, tip & luggage). The driver was waiting for us when we got out of customs with a sign with my name on it. Driver was courteous and the ride to the hotel was fine- took about 40 minutes. The car wasn't a black sedan (as the hotel's e-mail said) - just a regular taxi but it was fine. I believe 40 euros is the standard rate from the airport to downtown Rome (I saw this price advertised elsewhere) so I think you can get this rate if you don't go through the hotel but it was convenient to have the taxi waiting for us and know that it had been arranged through the hotel.

The staff was ok- not overly friendly as other reviewers have said – they did not go out of their way to welcome us but were fine to interact with. They gave us a map of Rome and showed us suggested routes to walk. We walked to all the main sites from the hotel (Spanish Steps about 15 minutes, Colosseum, about 45 minutes, Piazza Navona about 45 minutes, Vatican about 1 hour 15 minutes). A cab ride from the Termini Train station was about 10-12 euros (including 2 bags). The hotel was clean and the air conditioning worked well. There was a computer with internet in the lobby that you could use for free (although 2 of the nights the internet didn't work and the woman at the desk told us she didn't know how to fix it and it's been broken for 3 years. This didn't make sense to us since the next night we stayed there it worked fine).

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an inexpensive clean hotel in a safe location.

Reviewed 7 September 2010

We were not sure of where to stay and searched many hotels within our budget. We came across this hotel and read many of the other reviews. We contacted Hotel Golden and had an immediate response with a lot of information given. We booked our room and were pleasantly surprised at the hospitality. The driver they sent to pick us up at the airport was a great added feature they provided us. The staff were generous and kind and I would definately recommend this hotel to everyone. Family owned, clean, and so centrally located we walked every where from the hotel. The staff were eager to help us map our way around the city and provided us with maps. Superb stay....Thanks Hotel Golden.

Reviewed 5 September 2010

I can not say enough to describe how wonderful our stay was at the Golden Hotel. You felt like you were part of the family. The rooms were comfortable and clean, it is located in a quiet area but centrally located. The service was special and everyone at the Golden Hotel was wonderful. Kind, caring and hard working to make your stay special. We will definitly return someday and stay at the Golden Hotel. I threw my coins in the Trevi Fountain to assure that this happens. I would highly recommend The Hotel Golden

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Small room but air-conditioned. Staff very helpful. Wonderful varied breakfast. Good security.

Reviewed 1 September 2010

My husband and I stayed here on a celebratory trip for our Ruby wedding anniversary.We would echo all the good things that have been written about the hotel Golden especially the family who run the hotel.They are outstandingly helpful and just want visitors to have the best time possible in Rome. As this was a special visit for us, Guiseppe had organised an upgrade of room as a surprise and even organised flowers by prior request from our family.
Room 111 was spacious,comfortable and spotlessly clean.
The hotel is in an area convenient for some main tourist spots and also quieter walks.
We have already recommended this hotel to friends.