“Get breakfast elsewhere...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Secret Garden

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Secret Garden
Ranked #1,013 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Get breakfast elsewhere...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

Our rooms were in the basement which meant we has access to the garden at the back which was nice but the rooms spelt damp and the floor was wet. Take earplugs. There was nothing for breakfast other than a few cornflakes and stale biscuits. Better to go to a cafe, frankly. The location is good if you're travelling to/from the main train station. There are plenty of buses nearby. Do go to the Ice Cream place round the corner!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Hebrew first
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2009

I arrived on a Friday afternoon, and the guy who help me check-in was very kind and helpful. I think it is important to mention that this is definitely not a hotel, it is a private house, so there is no 24 hour reception available, however the guy said that if I needed anything to call and he would be there in 5 minutes. The room had a big bed and it was spacious (considering others I experienced as a solo traveler in Europe) and I had a private bathroom. I paid my stay in advance and asked what should I do for check out? he asked at what time I was leaving on Sunday, I said noon because my train departure was at 2pm. He said, that would be fine to just leave the bedroom door open, leave the keys in the room and that would be okay. I should also mention that my room was in the bottom floor next to the reception desk, so it was quite loud when other people checked in. And also the cleaning lady was very, very loud, quite inconsiderate for someone on vacation wanting to sleep-in in the morning.

Sunday morning at 10am I hear a bang on my door and the cleaning lady's loud voice "10am you must check out" I was woken up by this and quite surprised, I opened the door. No one is there, but I can hear the cleaning lady's voice from upstairs "10am you must check out" I said I was going to leave at noon (as agreed in my arrival) and she continues to yell "10am you must check out" without facing me. I said, "I need to pack" So I close my door and try to make sense of what just happened and begin packing my bags. A few minutes later she bangs on my door again and says "you must check out", I open the door and again she's gone. I close the door and continue gathering my stuff. A while later she bangs on my door again yelling. This time I am pissed off and say "stop! I am packing, I will leave as soon as I am ready." I was practically chased out of this place and left with the worst impression ever.

I am very sorry about this because the guy who helped me check-in was so kind and accommodating. I feel bad for this experience but there is no excuse to treat a paying customer this way, this was the single worst experience of my trip to 4 countries in 5 weeks and of all the hotels I stayed in.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2009

Brilliant hotel for what we paid. it's one of the cheaper hotels we found and it had a good location and our room was lovely - very clean, roomy, and we even had our own private little garden out the back! The guy who runs the hotel was really helpful, provided us with maps and tons of information, recommendations and tips on our arrival. The location is good - a short walk from the colosseum, not far to nearest metro stations and not far from Termini station. It's not the prettiest area of Rome but very handy. Would recommend if you're travelling on a budget.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
MrSparkel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

I stayed at The Secret Garden in the single room (Room #1) for 5 nights in July and found the place to be perfectly adaquate for my needs. My room had a mini-fridge, a kettle to boil water, ceiling fan, comfortable bed, TV, safe, cabinet, decent private bath...everything I needed. The place is located only maybe 5-to-10 minutes walking distance from the Termini Station. Note: When leaving the Termini Station after taking the train from the airport make sure you take the "South" exit instead of the the main "West" entrance/exit since its closest to the hotel else you'll have to walk all the around the station. The Hotel is also located 5 minutes walking distance to the nearest Metro station so its convenient to get to any of the touristy spots of Rome from here. The Coliseum is only a 15 minute walk from here. Across the street is a great pizzaria place and another street across is a good supermarket to stock up on supplies. At first sight, the area might seem "seedy" because of the graffiti but you'll realize this is everywhere. Trust me, this area is pretty safe. When arriving its best to carry a cell phone with you as if you arrive late like I did, there may not be an employee there to let you in. My flight was delayed so when I got to the front door I had to call the hotel and 5 minutes later an employee named Alessandro arrived by moped and let me in and checked me in at the reception area. I stayed in the hot summer month at the end of July but found to room to be relatively cool with a ceiling fan and window. Overall, a great stay for a solo traveler at the Secret Garden in Rome.

Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank MrSparkel
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2009

Close to the centre, bargain price, lovely little room with character, great A/C, decent bathroom, good size.... what more could you want!!
There is a 'slight' issue with the fact there is no reception... but that's cool - just phone them! We arrived early... rang, waited ten minutes and our charming host arrived... having spoken to his charming mother. Lovely family hotel, really clean, i would recommend it to absolutely ANYONE! It's brill... we only saw one room - our one, room 3, but it was charming and full of character... far better than a souless chain!
Well done the Secret Garden - PERFECT!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2009

The "secret garden" is a perfect, small hotel. we were at the suite which was more then perfect, it was very spacious, the bed was amazingley comfterble, and the price was the cheepest we paid in Europe. the only bad thing is the fact they don't have a reception, after saying that I have to be fair and say that Giovanna, the hotel manager, was always available to us on the phone.
about the location, It's 5 minute walk from Termini staion which was perfect for us, people said it wasn't safe, it's not beverley hills, but i didn't feel unsafe for a second...

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2007

This was our first hotel in Italy and the five of us spent two nights here. We found that they beds were the most comfortable that we stayed in and the rooms were very nice and clean. Breakfast was served on the roof top in their gardens and was wonderful. The we had an assortment of breads, juices, jellies, fruit as well as the most wonderful breakfast sandwiches too. The only caveat was I took the double room with the exterior bathroom, which I didn't mind, the only thing I was unaware of, was the bathroom was one floor up from the bedroom. Other than that everything was great.

The B&B is within walking distance of Termini, the Coloseum and Metro line A.

• Liked — Comfort of beds, breakfast, walking distance from attractions.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family