“Going downhill fast”

Ranked #515 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Going downhill fast”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

In 2013, we thought that with Domus Tiberina we'd found the right place to stay in Trastevere at a good price. But having just come back from a second visit, we've changed our minds. A small room was fine, but this one was uncomfortably cramped, with a comically tiny shower. Nice little clothes cupboards in keeping with the rooms have been replaced by a single plastic hanging rail -- giving the room the feel of a youth hostel. A broken shower door, a curtain hanging off its rail, a missing light bulb, didn't help. And "complimentary" coffee in the room, where the first 2 cups are free and after that you have to pay, all add to the impression that the management has lost sight of looking after guests, and is just interested in their money. Such a shame, because it's a lovely little corner of the city, and could be a real gem of a place.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 26 unless you're wafer-thin and solo!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank rogerbmoss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
San Rafael, California
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I have never written a bad review...but there's a first time for everything.

I stayed at the Domus Tiberina in January. I can not, in all good conscience, recommend this hotel to anyone. Yes, the price was right...I paid 38 EU per night...but it was not money well spent.

There are three people who work the front desk. The two women were great...very friendly and helpful...but the 20-something man who works during the day was rude, condescending...and an outright liar.

Case in point...I am a working journalist, and I needed wifi access at the hotel. When I could not connect on three different devices...PC, iPad and iPhone...I asked the man at the desk if there was a problem with the wifi. He told me there was no problem...it was obviously a problem with my device. I told him that all three devices failed to connect, so it must be a hotel wifi issue. His response? "If you want wifi that works, you can go to another hotel and pay 200 euros!"

Really?

He was a complete jerk, and eventually admitted that the wifi did work, but only in certain places in the hotel. I was forced to sit on the landing of the stairwell in order to get a wifi connection on any of my devices. Not good. At all.

After I told him that his offensive behavior was totally out of line, he lied and told me that the wifi problem would be fixed the next day, "Just for you!" This was a lie. The situation never improved.

Other things about this hotel:

- The walls are paper thin, How thin? I could hear the Russian couple...two rooms way...engaged in vigorous sex at various times during the day. Ugh.

- There is no coffee service in the hotel. They give you a voucher at a coffee bar around the corner. The staff at this bar acts as if they are doing you a favor by serving you. Not as bad as the guy at the hotel desk, but not good.

Bottom line...if price is the only thing that matters to you, then go for this hotel. But if the quality of rooms and hotel staff and services matter to you...then avoid this place like the plague.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
9 Thank Marinternet
Toronto
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Domus Tiberina. The hotel is very charming, lots of character and not too far off from the city centre, It is easy enough to take the tram to Piazza Venezia or take the bus across the bridge. It was a great place to turn into at the end of the day. What made this place so worthwhile and memorable was the warm hospitality of the staff, including Vanessa, Anna and Millan. A very special thank you to Millan who really went out of his way to ensure that my stay was comfortable. He suggested places to eat, where to go, and most of all always concerned about your well-being. One does not get that kind of welcome in too many places, so you really felt taken care of. Thank you so much Millan! The room was very clean and wow the view from the terrace was just gorgeous, what a way to wake up to the church bells ringing in the morning as your alarm clock! What more can you ask for?
This is in my view the best area to stay in Rome; it is very beautiful,The oldest basilica in Rome is less than 5 minute walk from the hotel and there are lots of charming boutiques around here. I had the best meal in Rome in Trastevere.
If one expects a North American style hotel where you are served pancakes, ham and eggs etc, this is not the place to stay, but then again who expects to eat that stuff everyday anyways? Here, they give you a voucher for a coffee and croissant, which was good enough for me to start off your day. I will definitely recommend this place to friends who travel to Rome and this will be my place to stay in the future.

Room Tip: I was a single person travelling, but decided to get a triple, Room 30. It's a little bit more t...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank luvtomovetosouthwest
Travelling
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The offer states "breakfast included", though I would better pay less for non-breakfast stay. The hotel doesnt have it's own place to serve breakfast, so they give you a receipt for Cronocopia restaurant around the corner. What you receive is a small glass of coffee and a sweet croissant. I didnt even touch those and didnt ask for breakfast receipt the other day.

Please, ask the owner not to serve and not to take money for what she calls "breakfast".

Also the hotel has poor soundproofing. I could hear my neigbours having sex every day and after tha snoring.

All the rest is fine. Especially the location - a few steps from Tiber embankment.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Helek
New Jersey
Reviewed 18 October 2013

If you are looking for luxury, this is not the place. This is the perfect hotel to sleep, shower, stop, and feel safe. The rooms have some charm if you get one with a little patio as I did! It was lovely to look over and see the street life below. Having said that, it's very quiet. There was a small table and chairs there but since there is no mini fridge and there is no food service in the hotel, I can't imagine you would ever eat there unless you bought a bottle of wine, salumi and bread and had your own picnic...but why if Rome is at your feet!

For breakfast, you get a ticket with a signature on it and take it around back to a lovely little bar. You get a cappuchino and a coronetta, the real breakfast of Italians.

The room was large enough for two people. I am short and the shower was very tiny even for me. Study door locks, a small armoire for your clothes, although hard to reach as it was up on a two foot step. Hard wood floors. Crisp sheets. Never heard a peep from the other rooms and the hotel was full. Flat screen tv worked great.

The only con:
When I checked in the woman at the front desk was lovely. In the morning, there was a man at the desk and he was snippy. I asked him where breakfast was and he asked me for my room number and then didn't believe me as I stood there with my luggage. Did I sneak into the 6 by 8 foot lobby without him knowing? He was so rude that I finally asked him if he was the owner he said no and laughed.

I would stay here again if only for the charm of the place and the great neighborhood of Trastevere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Christineabella
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I have stayed in quite a few hotels in Italy. There haven't been many that I enjoyed as much as Domus Tiberina. If you absolutely have to have an Americanized hotel, look elsewhere, but if you want to experience Roman life firsthand... this is the perfect place.

The location is very convenient for exploring Rome on foot (the best way.) It is in a quiet, ancient neighborhood, not a commercial area. Great neighborhood restaurants are all around. The staff is very friendly and very helpful. The rooms are clean, though not luxurious, but are well equipped by European standards.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank az_roadie51
Philadelphia
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I loved this hotel! It was quaint and beautiful, a welcome relief from other more hectic parts of Rome. It was my first stop on a 1 month trip and the perfect jet lag recovery location. My room (# 20) was extremely tiny but I didn't care at all because I was traveling solo and it had a great little private patio. The staff was so great and complimented my attempts at speaking Italian. The air conditioning was wonderful by American standards and the wifi connection reached my room making me one happy customer. The only thing was that I was near the reception desk so it was a little noisy at times. Also the price was great compared to many other hotels!I would certainly recommend this hotel and this wonderful part of Rome.

Room Tip: Room 20 was tiny but the air conditioning was great! It was also a little noisy because it was very...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo