“Location Good, everything else not”

Hotel Domus Tiberina
Ranked #509 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Just good back from visiting Rome. Stayed at Domus Tiberina for 3 nights and I would have to say that calling it an Hotel is a big overstatement. While the location is excellent as its within walking distance from the Colosseum and other attractions the quality leaves much to be desired.

1) Although I had a double room reservation when I arrived they tried to send me to a different hotel called "Hotel Trastevere House" even when we explained that we wanted to stay there was we had friend already at Domus. When we got to this other "hotel" they gave us a single room without any windows and on the "basement". We refused to stay and only after we demanded our documents back and threaten to leave they took us back and gave us a room... They were lying when they said they did not had rooms and were trying to capitalize by sending guest to this even worse hotel that is owned by the same people.

2) The room we stayed was right next door to the reception. There was no sound isolation. To give you and idea I could hear the receptionist at night reading the newspaper... Every time someone entered the hotel we could hear them speaking. Only managed to get some sleep because I was so tired of walking all day long. The curtains were smaller than the windows so I would always get a "sunshine wake up call".

3) TV was not working. I had to reconnect everything and when I finally managed to get it working it was sad to find that there were no international channels. There was a lot of telesales though :p

4) The day we left we had to leave at 07:00 so when we asked for an early breakfast they told us we could only have it at 08:00... On any other place they would provide something in the room or at least some juice and coffee. Unfortunately the night clerk was lazy and did not help.

In sum what was best at this "hostel" was its location as it was close to Trastevere. There you have the best night live and restaurants.
For the price they charge you would be better at a real Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank paulocarrilho
There are newer reviews for Hotel Domus Tiberina

Reviewed 7 October 2009

I went alone to a hotel at my first time.
They took very good "care of me".
It was a very friendly staff, I liked to be there. I´m sure i´m going to the same hotel if I went to Rome again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 20 July 2009

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed 20 July 2009

The hotel is located in the "ROME WITHIN ROME". The location is absolutely amazing. You can walk to all the important sightseeing locations or jump on public transportation 3-5 min from the hotel. The quadruple room with private bath is small, but clean. We got a room with an outside view. All the attendants are amazing! They help out in every form! Breakfast is brought to your room at the time you request... and it is AMAZING (especially the cappuccino)! You won't need to eat until dinner after you eat breakfast. Shower is a little small, but bathroom size is decent. There was a problem with the cable when we were there, so the TV didn't work. I definitely would recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank gabz323
Reviewed 16 April 2008

We spent 5 nights at this hotel. The staff were helpful and pleasant, the room was clean but there were problems. Firstly it is hugely overpriced for the facilities that it offers. Our room was very small and the shower which leaked, was tiny. There was no sign of any manager, just employees, and we felt that no-one really cared. The breakfast was truly awful and we didn't bother to go down for 3 of the 5 days. For that price we have stayed in a 4 star hotel with wonderful facilities and breakfasts. The area itself is lovely but the hotel is hardly more than a hostel and should be priced accordingly. Rome is a noisy city so be prepared for disturbed sleep.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fitzies48
Reviewed 14 March 2008

Just returned from the Domus Tiberina Hotel, the staff where very helpful and spoke very good english. Rooms where small but very clean the only fault that we found where the showers they where very small if you where a big framed person there is no way that you could fit in the shower. The breakfast was basic but nice. A nice place to stay very central, nice resturants very close by serving good food that was not expensive. Would stay in this hotel again but would ask for a room not on the ground floor as you could hear people coming in and out .

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank kilnew
Reviewed 9 June 2007

The room was pretty nasty. I expected a clean, basic room. I knew we were not staying at the Four Seasons. However, it was pretty dirty. I've attached a few pics of the carpet and stains. Everything had a stain on it., even the towels. After our first day of exploring Rome, we returned, took a shower (not too bad...plenty of hot water) and started to slip into bed. I pulled down the comforter and there were curly little hairs all over the blanket and pretty big stains. I wanted to sleep in my jeans the entire time. We requested a new blanket, but it wasn't much better.

The a/c works very well and the dark windows kept us asleep. There are several restaurants very close, as mentioned in some of the other reviews.

The night prior to leaving we talked to the guy in the lobby. We requested a taxi and confirmed it would only be 40 euros. (All the taxis are required to post the fee for the drive to the airports). He said it wouldn't be a problem and he would call them in the morning for us. Well, we walked down the stairs in the morning and walked into a big pot cloud from the same guy working the night before. He started to make the call and we hurried outside to escape the cloud of smoke. About 10 minutes later, a black van arrives. We didn't order a van. So, we asked how much it would be. 80 euros. We tried to talk to the guy in the lobby again, but he kinda just stared at us and didn't want to deal with it (He spoke perfect English so that wasn't the problem). We gave up and paid for the ride, but really just wanted a taxi.

I think I would be too embarrassed to recommend this hotel to a friend or co-worker. I guess if you are single and just need a bed, it MIGHT be okay. We wouldn't return to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple