“A good base”

Ranked #704 of 3,645 Rome B&B and Inns
Lamanon, France
“A good base”
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Very friendly and helpful. Rooms facing road can be a little noisy. Breakfast has a good choice, but could be better. Very convenient for termini station and a reasonable walk from all of Rome's major sites although after 3 days walking we are all exhausted. Good value.

Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perugia, Italy
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have been staying at the hotel for over ten years now and will never stay anywhere else in Rome. Loredana and her family are delightful and have worked extremely hard over the years to provide the best service possible. Just remember that, like many small places, it is cash only. The breakfast spread is ample. Luggage storage available. The rooms are always spotless. Proximity to Termini is extremely convenient.

Room Tip: If you are a solo traveler, single, very economical rooms are available. Yes, they are small, but t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
South Africa
Reviewed 25 April 2014

A family run business that's clean, efficient, friendly and very good value for money. Very close to Termini and all other forms of public transport. Lots of nice local restaurants in streets surrounding and they serve a very good breakfast. Would gladly stay there again and can recommend it confidently.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Flic En Flac
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Just next to Termini, friendly staff, good room and decent breakfast for the price of 45 euro was something we needed. To avoid disappointment you have to assume that in all budget Rome hotels it is CASH ONLY.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Marlborough, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We look for decent, inexpensive places to stay near the train station and this is the best we've found. The room was a good size, the shower was large enough for a full-sized adult. There is a lovely courtyard. The neighborhood was good. Staff friendly, room clean. And the breakfast was generous and delicious.

We would definitely return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We had a reservation for 3 nights in early January. Arrived in Rome by train around 10:30 pm, and showed up at the hotel around 10:45/11:00 pm. Were hoping to check in quick and go to bed as we were traveling with 2 babies.

Turned out, our reservation was nowhere to be found, despite me having it with me in my hand. They made a few phone calls, and 4 people showed up talking in Italian trying to find a "solution".

Long story short, they would "graciously" have a room or us and solve our problem for 1 night. The next day we would have to find another place to stay for our other 2 nights. So we get stuck in this B&B room next door the size smaller than you can imagine.

We were required to pay the hotel charge in cash, cause apparently they don't take credit cards. So had we stayed for the full 3 days they would want 300 or so Euro's in cash. In my opinion they are a bunch of con artists and I bet they pocket the cash to avoid paying taxes and such.

Anyway, worst place of our entire trip. Best thing about this hotel was the checkout in the morning.

Find another place to stay. There are a million hotels in Rome, so I am sure you can do better than this dump.

Room Tip: best tip for a good room is to find another hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank DutchMachine
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Stayed there for my 1st leg in Rome, 5 nights in total.

Location was 5 minutes away from Termini. Very convenient. Couldn't really find good food around though. There are 3 supermarkets near the hotel (1 in termini) so location was excellent.

Owner was very friendly, so were her daughter and son and they were generally very helpful whenever you see them.

Room-wise I believe we could do with something better especially since we managed to get a better B&B nearby on our 2nd leg in Rome. We came from a hot country in Asia so we weren't quite used to the weather there at first. The heater in the room wasn't really working so we slept in our clothes (i usually sleep in my underwear only). The water in the showers consistently changed from ice-cold to scalding hot. The bed was rather thin and the quilt/covers didn't really keep us warm. Room was also slightly smaller among the B&Bs we stayed in.

The breakfast though had a wide variety, although I avoided most of them because they were too sweet for my liking. My wife felt that their coffee making machine makes cappuccinos that were way too sweet. I, on the other hand, always had hot water and sandwiches. They make toasts on request and my wife did seem to love those.

When we booked the room, we specifically requested for a room with a balcony, and it was agreed upon in writing in the reply email (some 2~3 months before our arrival). When we checked in, the owner asked if we had any room we would prefer, my wife accidentally mentioned she didn't remember if we asked for anything specifically; while I reminded her that I thought we asked for a room with a balcony. The owner then replied that the room with a balcony is supposed for another chinese couple and then whisked us off to our room (which was in another block, not the one that is connected to the lobby). When we reached our room I checked the email that we printed and I was right. I'm not particularly picky and we didn't really care about going back and changing rooms but now thinking back, I suspect that the owner might have shortchanged us on purpose.

On a return trip Maryelen wouldn't be my first choice of stay in Rome, but I wouldn't count it out.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple