“Giovanna makes it special”

Bed and Breakfast Giovy
Ranked #2,166 of 3,762 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2011

A very pleasant, conveniently located "budget" lodging with rooms that are spacious, modern, immaculately clean and reasonably quiet for this very busy part of town. The difference here, as others have said, is Giovanna herself; she is a remarkably vivacious, charming innkeeper who always has time for a pleasant word or a lively chat. She, her sister and their staff were always available to offer advice andrecommendations, steering us away from the tourist traps that are so prevalent around Termini to finding some excellent nearby shopping and dining. (Don't miss dinner at Cecio and Locatelli -- both are outstanding!) If you are looking for luxury, this is probably not the place for you. But if you want comfortable, affordable lodging, a great location for day trips in & outside the city, and an absolutely charming host, you can't beat Giovy. Thanks, Giovanna and all, for a lovely stay in your wonderful city!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 May 2011

We booked this accommodation on the basis of Tripadviser feedback and apart from a few issues, really enjoyed our stay.
Joanna and her staff were very welcoming and did there very best to help us over the 4 nights we stayed there.
The rooms were nice, new bathrooms with good showers but the beds were very firm. Thankfully we were so tired after walking around the sights of Rome each day I could have slept on a hard floor (the beds weren't much softer).

The breakfast offering was comprehensive, if you like sweet cakes and croissants, coco-pops and cornflakes (my kids would have been happy). Fortunately there was some bread, ham and cheese. On the plus side they had an espresso coffee machine, so the coffees were great.

The one other issue has been raised in other reviews - that of only taking cash (although they take your credit card details when you book the accommodation online). It's not exactly the safest area in Rome and having to get 1000 euros from a cash machine and then deliver it back to the hotel could be quite scary for older people or women on their own. If they're able to guarantee the room by taking your credit card online, surely they can accept payment by credit card too.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Loyal-QPR-Fan
Reviewed 22 May 2011

I will start from the start! I had never travelled internationally and was a little worried about Rome. I contacted Giovanna by email, and she responded to me within 24hours. She kept all her promises and is the most beautiful wonderful person I met in my travels! She even promised to be my mother in Rome :) and she was just that! Rome was very clean (and I am overly hygienic!), she was very helpful and trusting, was able to use the internet when I liked, etc etc. The gardens and fountain down the bottom are cute. There is an elevator if you need it. She is very easy going. Breakfast was served late to me cause I sleep in!
The location is great! Central to everything you want to see. Central to nice restaurants. And next the train station - This is a positive but negative. If you have no common sense then maybe you might feel intimidated in these streets at night. But is it not normal, to have some slightly dodgy people or the odd prostitute near train stations in any big city around the world? Quite normal to me, just don't walk blindfolded!
Sorry for the late feedback Giovanna, but I promised I'd leave one! I have an Italian fiancee now, and will be returning to your hotel again this summer. And I have a little Australian souvenir to add to your collection of many happy customers' souvenirs.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 May 2011

This Hotel gets rave revues everywhere, and derserves them. It was great. However, at checkout I was told they only take cash. Some bizare reason was given ( moving to other reception desk!!!) and then pointed in direction of ATM. I had reserved this hotel with credit card thru venere.com as requested when I viewed the site. Like other travellers, I had made allowances for cash etc. and as we get charged a whopping 3% on withdrawals from ATM/Banks I had decided that a no fee credit card(Capitol One) was the way to go. So I was a tad ticked off with this Hotel, as now my bill was 3% higher than expected(plus other bank fees no doubt). This could have created a hardship for many. My main beef is that it was sprung on me - the owner said she had sent me email but I certainly didn't get it. I had also emailed them about leaving bags off when I arrived but never heard back. So, I don't really believe them. Being upfront and honest would have been the way to go. Then I would have had made sure I had the cash on hand without extra fees. So Beware!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank waterwisper
Reviewed 14 March 2011

We chose this place last minute based on previous good reviews and we were very happy with our stay. The B&B became bigger and now is located in two adjustent buildings. Very short walk from Termini, and easy to walk to many attractions of Rome or take a bus / metro to others. The location in my view is very good.

Upon our arrival we were warmly welcomed by Giovanna, introduced to other members of her family who work in B&B, showed around, given a map of Rome with hand drawn route for our first day walk with her recommendations. It was such a positive first impression, which then lasted through our 4 nights stay. Anything we asked was answered with enthusiasm and many additional details.

Our room was recently refurbished, nice bathroom and comfortable beds.

Breakfast was simple but ok. They make wonderful capucinos which is a great start for the day.

Overall, this is a place where I would definitely like to come back and would not hesitate recommending my friends for their visit to Rome.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anchi100
Reviewed 7 March 2011

the hotel is conveniently located close to the Termini railway station. the area is not the best of Rome being close to the station (like everywhere else in the world), but it looked pretty calm and quiet. positive aspects are the size of the room (pretty spacious and bright) and the helpfulness of the owner, a lady named Giovanna (who might end up being a bit intrusive, if you are not used to such attitudes..I actually do not like very much this kind of attitude and I'd rather prefer a more 'professional' and less 'feels-like-home' one).
the negative aspects are the bathroom (extremely small) and the breakfast (it's a pity to be in Rome and to be served a terrible 'cornetto').
but, considering prices in Rome, I must say that the value for money is pretty good.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank rachele78
Reviewed 17 February 2011

We stayed at a few B&B in Rome on our trip and Giovy's was easily the best. She is very friendly and the price is right, especially when you book directly through her. All the B&B's are generally alike and Giovy has all the same amenities but simply does it better on all fronts.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple