“great location, friendly staff”

Bed and Breakfast Giovy
Ranked #2,350 of 3,762 Rome B&B and Inns
Lake Charles, La
“great location, friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

We arrived early AM after long flight from USA We were meet with juice and cookies and allowed to check in our rooms immediately.Location 2 blocks from Termini station ( bus, trains, subway) If you are a fit walker you can walk to most of the sites. Plenty of restaurants near by, as well as souveneir shopping near station. Breakfast was good and included in the price of the room. Rooms were large by European standards, beds would be considered hard by American standards. Refrigerator,safe, decent size towels, shampoos, free WiFi. Great value for the price. Staff made us feel like family. We walked every where never felt unsafe.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

My wife and I are independent travelers and in our late 60s. We always take public transportation, never rent cars. We spent 8 nights at Giovy in mid February at the outset of six weeks travels in Italy, Germany, and Malta. We were drawn to Giovy by good reviews here and that it is less than a five minute walk to Termini Station. We were very happy with our choice. Our room was large (by European standards), had new furnishings and bathroom fittings, offered a small balcony and courtyard view, and a frig and tea kettle (this last much appreciated by my wife, and usually absent from Italian hotels). There is an elevator. Although close to Termini, things could not have been more quiet at night, and we slept well. The "Q" word is perhaps the supreme consideration for us. This is a family run business, and Giovanna and her daughter and husband could not have been nicer. Breakfast options were plentiful, though perhaps a little too weighted towards sweets for our taste. We got a very good rate in mid February. The only limitation is that payment is accepted in cash only, but we found reliable ATM machines at the lower level of Termini. We thought Giovy was an excellent and safe place for independent travels, and in a great location for exploring Rome, for day trips out of Rome, or for moving on to other parts of Italy.

Room Tip: Courtyard view is nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank william2000
Soots_1
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

I stayed here with my elderly father for 3 nights. The set-up is quite unusual, in that B&B Giovy is part of a complex of other hotels and B&B’s, and you have to let yourself to the accommodation part with a key, but the location is brilliant – only about 5 minutes to Termini railway station and within easy walking distance of all of the sites. Another reviewer has said it is a dodgy area – well streets close to railways stations aren’t always the best, but we never had any concerns as to our safety.

We were given a very warm welcome, and made to feel like family throughout our stay. The rooms were spacious – far more like hotel rooms than a B&B - we had everything we needed in the rooms, including a safe, and the beds were comfortable. The televisions have numerous channels, none of which are English speaking, but personally I found Postman Pat in Italian was an education, and I don’t go on holiday to watch television! You are a little dependant on your neighbours – on the first night I was kept awake by people in neighbouring rooms having some sort of party – but that was not the fault of the hotel, and the following nights were fine. Our rooms overlooked a courtyard, so we had no problem with road noise.

Breakfast included cakes, bread, cheese, and croissants, among other things. It was a bit of a challenge for my father, who is a diabetic, as most of the food was sweetened, but he managed to find enough to keep him happy with the croissants and cheese. There were even some sandwiches there, which he tried (but didn’t really enjoy as they had seen better days!). The selection of food may not be as impressive as in some hotels, but we had no complaints.

Just a warning to anyone staying here, that they do not take credit cards, so you need to have enough cash to pay. We had booked via Booking.com, and I had missed that bit of information in the small print on the booking, so we used up all of our cash on the hotel! But there is a cashpoint just around the corner, so that problem was easy solved.

We have stayed in other hotels in Rome which are as much as twice the price, but not as good as B&B Giovy. I found it a very friendly and welcoming place to stay, and excellent value for money, and am recommending it to my friends. I will certainly stay there again if I return to Rome.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Soots_1
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

We booked this b&b in Rome after reading the reviews which can be very misleading. I have stayed in many B&B's and this is probably the worst. First of all it looks good on paper with all the amenities like free wifi, TV, breakfast etc. but the reality is that yes it has a bed but the mattress is of really low quality. We woke up with a body ache each night. The sheets and towels smell a bit and look like they need to be washed with detergents.
The Internet connection is not steady and hardly works. The TV is very grainy and does not have any English channels. The breakfast is quite bad. This is in a apartment complex with rooms in a building at the back. Looks more like a hostel. The room was a decent size but the bathroom is very tiny. Also FYI, there is no phone in the rooms. Every door that opens requires a key which I feel may be risky in case of a fire.

The flush in the toilet started leaking and flooded the bathroom one evening. The lady came running to our room and mopped up the floor and temporarily fixed it saying that we should be very careful when using it till next morning when she would have someone fix it. She said that she was aware of this problem. This should have been fixed if it was an existing problem.

This hotel is also in a not so nice neighborhood near the Termini with shady people hanging out on the street. We had booked for 5 nights but I decided to move out after the fourth night and go to another hotel near the airport. We will never go back to this place. I think for the same price or for a bit more you should be able to find much nicer hotels in Rome. This is not worth it.

I just want to warn fellow travelers about what to expect - the owners are really nice but their hotel is not what they have portrayed it to be.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank gogogreen
Moscow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

The main idea to choose this hotel is the location near the Termini station. Rail station with the Leonardo express train from/to Fiumicino airport, both metro lines, a lot of busses and trams are in five-minutes walk from the hotel.

There are many hotels nearby, but this one has it's advantages - it is very clean and quite new furnitured, there is free and fast wi-fi internet access in rooms, good breakfasts with a lot of fresh and delicious things. Everyone in hotel is extremely kindly and helpful. And the price is below average.

I can recommend this b&b for everyone who is travelling without car and wish having very comfortable stay for the adequate money.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Awais_RU
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013 via mobile

Giovanna was so helpful the rooms are clean, breakfast included and close to train station we were made to feel like family we walked to many sites from the hotel you have to pay cash but there are ATM's at the station
We will stay again when we are in Rome

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Lib54
Tigard, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

Situated a few blocks from Termini and the Metro, the hotel run by her and family members was a very pleasant surprise.
I won't prattle about the accommodations because you can see photos and descriptions elsewhere. Suffice it to say there were no disappointments.
More importantly, however, was the level of service, to wit: One night I sat on a ledge in a nearby plaza. It was upon standing I realized there was gum on my bum. The next morning as we left for the day I asked Giovanna if there was a dry cleaner close by to facilitate gum removal. She just smiled, put her hand out to take my pants and said she would take care of it. And she did, in-house using hands, ice and scraping.
For that alone I will not hesitate to give her my highest praise. She is friendly to a fault and is very fluent in English.

Room Tip: I don't really think it matters here.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple