“very homey stayel and good location”

All Comfort Astoria Palace
Ranked #1,505 of 3,739 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 January 2010

it is not a 3 star hotel it is more of B&B but it is so homey and buteyfull in beast locetion to travel rome that it is worth evrey EUR that u spend on it!!!!

the women that welcome u is so nice and helpfol that it is nice to find a worme welcome in rome.

the only disadvantage is the brekfast that was very poor!!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 November 2009

We left the booking of our accommodation very late (until the last day before our trip!) to Rome. Couldn't really find a 'nice' place that was clean, central and reasonably priced. Then we found this place - absolute bargain!!! It's clean, central to the train line (literally 1 min walk) and really well priced. The place is on the 4th floor, which you have to access by getting in the lift (which really only fits 2 people max, or 1 person with luggage). The hotel staff were brilliant, and absolute delight. We lucked out and got the room adjoining the patio - really nice views. The room was clean and bed was decent. Don't get put off by some claiming that rooms are too small - hello, you're in Europe!! The rooms are plenty for 2 people to relax and enjoy. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2007

We loved Rome and thought that the Astoria Palace was cute and quaint. It's in what we considered a great location; about 500 feet from the metro and only four stops (about a 15 min ride) to the Colosseum. Because it's out of the city center, it was relatively quiet, save for sirens, and nearly deserted outside at night, with few dining options. The room was clean, the breakfast sparse but sufficient, and the workers friendly.

Taken on its own, the B&B is a great deal. But it falls short when you compare what its Web site promises to what you actually get. Everything on the site is a bit of a stretch. The car service was not available to pick us up, and when we needed a ride to the airport to go home, the "car service" consisted of the manager arranging a cab for us. Although there was free Internet, it came in the form of a free-to-use computer in the common room and accessible wifi, rather than rooms equipped with laptops. The Web site promises 360-degree views of Rome; there are, just not the views one would imagine (apartments instead of the sites).

Web site discrepancies aside, our only real gripe was the plumbing: The shower would suddenly get scalding hot and the pipes rumbled loudly each time someone (us or our neighbors) flushed the toilet or ran water.

When we got a phone call, the person at the desk neither put the call through or gave us the message. Chalk that up to a language barrier.

Visitors should also be aware that no one mans the Astoria Palace desk after hours.

Generally speaking, I'd skip the restaurant next door. I'd also advise people to ride the metro, it's awesome and really cheap and clean. We were first time visitors to Rome and speak no Italian and had no problems getting around via public transportation (the metro and bus). We only used cabs to and from the airport.

All in all, we were happy with the Astoria Palace because it was pretty and clean and an easy place from which to see Rome. Just take everything on the Web site with a grain of salt and don't expect luxury.

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed 10 December 2007

Upon entering the building, I prayed, please be clean, please have an A/C, please have an ELEVATOR. But what I didn't pray for was for it to have a 1st floor lobby - this place didn't. So, we're dumbfounded.....what???? I looked at the sign outside again, and it said something like 4 Piano. Hmmm....4th floor? Interesting? Penthouse maybe, I thought. So we pushed the elevator button (my prayers were answered). It's one of those old elevators where you have to open and close the door yourself...another 1st for us. Got to the 4th floor....someone answered the door - Andrew and an Italian lady, Julia - the receptionist. 1st impression, hotel/residenza had a personalized feel. It had a nice big living room, with two balconies, and a rooftop view...very Italiano. Big plus....free internet in the lobby. Even bigger surprise, I found a wireless connection from the room. We're set!

The room was always kept clean. Andrew, the sole caretaker of the place, was always on the move ensuring that the place is pristine. Julia was also ever so helpful, gave us little tips as to where to go and what to do. They also made our limo arrangement back to the airport - very convenient.

The hotel is about 1 minute walk to the Metro....a big plus. It's also just a few minutes away via bus to other dining establishments.

This place is not your huge type of hotel. I believe there are only 7 rooms so they do get to know the guests. This can be somewhat of a downside....the hotel is staffed from 7:30 am - 9 pm. If you get a phone call after 9 pm, no one from the front desk will answer the phone to transfer to your room. If you're local with a cell phone, no problem, but we were tourists who had no local cell phone, so anyone who wants to reach us after 9 pm couldn't reach us. Also, if you misplace your keys and you arrive at the hotel after 9 pm, it will be difficult for you to get in. However, there is an Emergency Phone # to reach the staff after hours.

At the end of it all......being the somewhat picky traveller that we are....what matters most is the very clean environment and the staff.......that's why given the opportunity, I will recommend the place with no hesitation.

THANK YOU ANDREW AND JULIA!! Grazie!!

jason

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 1 October 2006

After searching high and low for a reasonable hotel near the city center, we came across the All Comfort Astoria Palace. What a great find! The hotel was beautiful and our room was ready for us much earlier than their check-in time. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It is also very conveniently located - less than 2 minutes walk from the nearest Metro station. Our room also had a computer and free high-speed internet - very convenient.

We only had one problem: The day we left, we had to catch a train to the airport for a VERY early flight (6:35 am). The Metro doesn't start to run until 5:30 and you can't call much in advance to book a taxi, and they only offer their private "limo" taxi to/from the airport. While it was manageable, it was a bit inconvenient.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 29 June 2006

Based on the negatives of the other two reviews I see I can only assume there is new management in place because this was a wonderful experience. The "all-girl" crew was friendly, helpful and went out of their way to make myself and daughters feel welcome. Rooms are VERY clean. AC is VERY cold. The neighborhood is relatively quiet (can't avoid siren's given the proximity of major hospitals in the area). The Metro is around the corner from the front door and with a bit of light exploration the food choices are very good. ATM across the street (near Blockbuster) and a PAM (grocers) within 5 blocks. Breakfast is a little tedious past the first day since it's the same meal every time, but all in all I'll be staying here again and appreciating my good fortune in finding this establishment. If you have the chance book the Venere suite as it incudes 24-7 access to a very nice patio.

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank Lostyank
Reviewed 10 October 2005

DO NOT STAY HERE! I booked the Luna room, paid my deposit and even emailed the owner a few days beforehand. Arrived at 1200 noon to find that they had sold my room to someone else and wanted to charge me 110 euros per night for another room. When I said that this was not on, the owner was extremely aggressive and intimidating and put my suitcase outside the hotel. He said that he didn't want me to stay in his hotel. After an argument he threw my deposit back at me and said I would be back as I wouldn't be able to find another hotel for 110 euros. I was very upset and left in tears. I spent the rest of the day (6 hours) trawling Rome and eventually ended up staying at with the Youth Hostel International Association (for 21 euros per night). However, the Astoria had kept my passport and I had to make the bus/metro journey back late at night to pick up my passport as they failed to fax a copy through to the Youth Hostel so that I could get checked in. I was travelling alone and find their behaviour appalling. Extremely prompt at putting my suitcase outside - not so in returning, or faxing through a copy of, my passport. Also, the hotel does not have the facilities it advertises. For example, there is no safety deposit box, fridge or internet access! REPEAT - DO NOT STAY HERE!

Stayed: October 2005