Excel Hotel Roma Montemario
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
1,184 results
All reviewscentre of romebus routesbusy citypastrieshotel is situatedsight seeingmain attractions
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Took a chance on booking via Hotwire and ended up staying at the Excel Roma for three nights for £185, not bad for an advertised 4* on the outskirts of the city centre. Having read the reviews I was slightly worried about my stay, the hotel itself is quite tricky to find if your using public transport from Termini station. When we found the hotel with help from Google maps.. the building itself is quite impressive with well treated gardens and lots of sports facilities. We had booked a double room, looking at previous reviews confirmed it was two single beds pushed together which was fine. The room itself was very tired and in need a major update. Broken wardrobe, old style tv, bad signal and an old fashioned bathroom suite with a shower that saturated the bathroom floor after use. However working wifi in our room! so we didn't complain even after finding loads of hair all over the bed.. The breakfast is adequate and there was always something to choose from.

If you are travelling from Termini, my advice is take the Red A line metro to Lepanto station, you can connect onto the 913 bus right outside which will take you to the hotel. The stop you need is on the Trionfale road opposite a elemantary school, approx 20 mins ride from Lepanto. Walk along the pavement until you see the road name Via Degil Scolopi on your left. The unmarked track will lead you to the hotel entrance.

Overrall I wouldn't stay here again, we used the 913 everyday to travel down the centre which was fine, but i'm sure there's better hotels for the money paid.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jetsetter2727
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I was looking for a hotel away from the city center as I am fed up with the noise. there is no noise. but location is somewhat distant from everything. you will need a car to get around rome staying at this hotel. it is 15 minute drive to the spagna steps.
Breakfast is terrible. do not go to breakfast there while evening restaurant is excellent. go figure
rooms are fine - seen better days I guess. will need an upgrade in a year or two. I had a suite which was large enough to accomodate all five of us.
staff were friendly but one I had at the checkout was unprofessional.
Excellent sport center if you care for one + five clay tennis courts (12 euros per hour in May).
free parking

Room Tip: no connecting rooms - take a suite when travelling with a family. they are spacious enough!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Rome, you picture a small city with everything in one place not this gem of a hotel, fantastic for two things to be away from the busy centre and the views of the surrounding areas. The pool was a plus, hats are required and it was not heated but I was not put off and spent the "Lazy Day" mostly sun bathing and taking a dip in the pool.

I will split this review in to two sections 1. The Hotel 2. The negative points.

Grounds where lovely down a little track from a main road. The entrance small but was lovely, guest book to the right and reception facing. We decided to upgrade on arrival which was easy to do all we did was ask via email prior to travelling at the cost of €160. Worth every euro as we had a suite with x2 bathrooms, living room and bedroom. The on suite was really well done, very clean and bright. I could not fault the room visually, cleaned daily and fresh bedding every other day (5 Nights in total) lots of storage. I liked the wood slats covering the windows to open them up for a breeze in the morning and the sounds of birds chirping away.

The restaurant while kind of expensive was nice, wine was good the food was fresh and I even managed to get the other half to eat salad! The wine helped. Seating was both indoors and out in a courtyard type of area, was really nice. Bar area was small and not really an "area" rather a corner by the stairs was managed by a young lady who was attentive and very polite. We stayed B&B which was continental, not much range however was a standard but nice buffet style breakfast which served its purpose.

The location is a tricky one, if you want to be close to the centre this is not while not too far away (1Buss) which was perfect to be away from all of that. Public transport it really easy to get the hang of an there is a stand with information of what buss to get where near reception.

There was a GYM looked ok, too busy for it and a tennis area which looked well maintained again too busy for it.

Pool area which had a bar area, the pool itself was nice surrounded by deck chairs.

Location which for us was perfect for the type of holiday we wanted at the time however can see it being abit to far away from the centre, there are a few shops up from the track to the left and around the roundabout. We eat out once in this area in a nice Chinese restaurant.

So for me one negative and it really wasn't, lovely hotel and very welcoming staff.

Rome itself is expensive so be prepared.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sheldonandrewtrip
Roberta M, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Excel Hotel Roma Montemario, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear sheldonan,

Many thanks for booking Excel Roma Montemario for your relaxing stay in Rome. We are happy you had a great time at our Hotel and glad to hear such a good feedback about our location and services.
Feel free to join us anytime you are in Rome.

Best regards,

Excel Roma Montemario Management

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I always travel on a budget , this is why I always expect the worst. I've been through some sh.. hotels in Europe and there's not much that I haven't seen before. This time I was pleasantly surprised, I arrived after a very long flight to the hotel and I found myself with a big room, clean and basic. Well the cover of the top bedsheet is full of stains but the other parts of the beds are OK. You have to realise that the hotel is far from the center and from the airport but once you get the hang of Roman transport it will be fine. The breakfast is full of sweet cakes and some yogurt + juices. I wish they were some fruits though, no one eats cake for breakfast. All in all, it was a pleasant stay, I wouldn't mind staying here again if I visit Rome again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank emiliovillegas
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I've spent one night in this hotel and the service was good. The room was clean, the breakfast wasn't special but still good. Very good location. The only complain: make sure nobody used the minibar before letting another client in..We found a bottle of beer replaced with water and an empty box of nuts! :-) in any case I recommended it.

• Stayed: April 2014