“Cheap and clean, above all 3 minutes away from Termini station.”
Review of Pensione Giamaica

Pensione Giamaica
Ranked #724 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed at this accommodation for 1 night , I can firmly say I had a great time .
I would start to talk about the location, the reason why I chose it in fact is just 300 meters away from the Roma Termini train station just 3 minutes walk away, so it is very convenient for getting around the city but especially for those arriving in Rome by train .
This accommodation is located inside a building was an ideal and cheap place to stay , clean and humble with a good free wifi connection .
The staff greeted us very warmly , giving us valuable advice on how to visit the city and providing maps and whatnot ..
Mine was a double room, large and well lit by a large window that overlooked the courtyard , we had the sink in the room but the bathroom was shared on the corridor.
The breakfast was not there and I do not even need that but it was not a problem, at this price I can not complain .
One thing is for sure, if I return to Rome one day I decide to stay here again .

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Magellano81

Reviewed 9 June 2012

If you are looking for a centrally located, cheap and simple place to sleep in, Pensione Giamaica is a good choice! The room was spacious, clean and there was a sink and a mirror which was nice since the bathrooms were shared. The room was simply decorated with framed red art posters on green walls. Furniture brought in mind an old hospital. Due to the minimalist decor the room wasn't very cozy but it didn't matter since we were primarily looking for a cheap and clean place to sleep in.

There are six rooms (I think) and three bathrooms so sharing them with others was ok. Others have been complaning about missing shower curtains. They still do not exist so the bathroom floors were often wet.

The owners were nice people and the overall experience of this hotel was very good. Excellent value for money in a big city like Rome!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kerttuli
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Visited here at the end of 2009 on a backpacking trip around Europe with a friend. The price is unbeatable for the location, very central - 2mins from the main train and bus terminal, 10 mins to the colosseum, 15 mins to the Spanish steps.
We arrived at about 9am on a night train, the Signora who runs this place (doesn't speak any English) let us in to drop off our bags, let us take a shower and cooked us some breakfast! Very nice!
Between my broken Italian and her hand gestures she explained the best way to all the sites, and lent us hidden money pouches to wear.
This place does need some work doing to it, and there is a feel that you are just stopping in her front room, but we had great service and good stay there all in all.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank Ben E
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I stayed here a long time ago, in October, 2003 (not 2010). It was very cheap, 25 euros plus 2 for breakfast, which was quite good (coffee, juice, 2 big loaves of bread, jam, butter and Nutella). Signora Silvia, the nice old owner, even added a piece of fruit, just for me, when I told her I was traveling on a very tight budget. The room was simple, without bathroom. It´s on an old building, really close to Stazione Termini. Maybe all neighbourhoods around train sations aren´t the prettiest, but I felt more confortable walking during daytime. Excellent value, I recomended it to friends, that went, and liked it too.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
7  Thank ile_de_la_cite
Reviewed 11 September 2010

We came across this hotel just by chance and would highly recommend it for travellers on a budget. The quirky owner is a really nice man with a kind heart. He speaks good english and is happy to help out whenever you need it. The rooms are big and airy and the bathrooms clean and functional. If you want to experience an authentic italian family run place then stay here. We would definately go back and this is largely due to the kind owner.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kerry_and_Brian
Reviewed 21 June 2010

-The Church bell rings constantly around 6am.
-The beds are extremely uncomfortablle.
-The customer service is the worst I have ever come by.
-The staff is not helpful with directions, sites, or anything concerning our stay.
-The bathrooms were really dirty, not messy, but dirty.
-If you are expecting internet, don't.
-Make sure that you make it on time. Our plane had been late due to a security issue with a person on the plane. We called in advance and they said if we were one minute late they would cancel our reservation. Even though they live at the place and could have let us in one minute later.
-The area is not safe at night. Make sure you have someone with you. The place is on the fourth floor and you walk up very dark stairs at night.
-Honestly, the list goes on and on. We backpacked for 3 weeks and absolutely loved everywhere we stayed but this place was a nightmare. I am not usually unhappy with service but this was beyond poor. Spend the extra money and go somewhere else. I saw the mixed reviews of the place on here and thought we would give it a try; it was NOT worth it.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amsterduo
Reviewed 30 September 2009

I read the mixed reviews so was a bit apprehensive, but with the good price I decided to go for it and stay there.
My partner and I stayed there for 4 nights. It was clean, had a good location right by Termini train station and just around the block from an internet place.
The mother and her son (I think) were very very nice, helpful.
I would definitely recommend this place to others.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple