“Horrible hostel”

Hostel Happy Days
Ranked #799 of 1,072 Speciality Lodging in Rome
“Horrible hostel”
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

Though the location is good(close to vatican city and the river, far from train station and collosseum), the hostel experience is horrible. Very ugly hostel, they kick you out between 10-5 pm!! They say its for cleaning, but what the hell, its always super dirty. Theres like 10 beds per room and theres no soace for even puting your bags. The staff is weard and have a history of molestijg the girls. Definetly chose another one, i found one for the same price way better and moved.

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Horrible horrible. So many bed bugs. I was eaten alive. I think staff know they have bugs. Staff is very kind. Really hostel is in very poor condition. No wifi after mid night. Not happy cover in over 30 bites from my face to my foot.

• Stayed June 2013

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I enjoyed my staying in this hostel. The welcoming staff make your staying memorable with their best sense of humour and hospitality. The lock time from 10:00 to 16:00 is little bit annoying but anyways it was not as problemetic as it seems.

Room Tip: I Recommend this hostel because of welcoming staff and the best location . Really worths to money.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Australia
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Positives:
10 mins from Vatican and about 30 to Trevi fountain in the other direction. Pretty cheap. Although the kitchen and common room are fairly small, they are close together and near rooms so its easy to meet other people. The rooms, or mine at least, we're spacious.

NEGATIVES:
Strict lockout from 10am until 4pm - for 'cleaning'. However, during this time they actually move your stuff, dismantle the beds, move them somewhere else. Some people who had returned early found staff sleeping in the beds (staff live at the hostel), I didn't catch them (although black hair in the beds weren't hard to find) but it totally makes sense with all the weird behaviour. Although they can be nice, there's just something not quite right about them (evidence by the whole 'get out now so we can sleep in your bed' thing).

The hostel slogan is 'Party, Party, Sangria!' but all this means is that they play really bad music (usually shakira. no, in fact, always shakira), that is more annoying than anything, and then at 11:45pm they turn it off and say the kitchen is closed and you have to go to your room (and be quiet) or go out.
Wifi is also turned off at midnight (and also 10am when you're supposed to leave).

2 out of 4 showers didn't have hot water.

Trust the reviews on tripadvisor, I believe they make up 100% reviews for themselves on HOSTELWORLD.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Flynn_Australia
ANUJ K, Front Office Manager at Hostel Happy Days, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Regarding to this review we would like to justify that the lock out time from 10:00 to 17:00 written very clearly on our all websites we work with . And about the music, with respect to the laws and the guests who prefer sleeping instead of partying ,the music is stopped playing at 24:00.
And about the reviews, all reviews are real and certified by hostel world.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 17 January 2013

"Party party sangria" hah what a joke. They play loud music from 8:00 - 00:00 then at 00:00 its light out or leave. Staff can be very rude, to the point of yelling, then can be nice offering things like a cup of tea.
10am you must leave the hostel, lockout till 4pm. They dismantle the bunk beds and remove them to somewhere unknown, people staying there said they had come back during the day and found staff in the beds.
After having my bed removed one day and being stripped of sheeting, I came back to find boogers and black hairs throughout my bed.
At 9.30 one morning after showering came back into the room to find my things across the floor and a man yelling at me "you must remove your things we need the bed"
I explained I needed underwear on before i was going to be doing anything, he persisted with the yelling, though lockout wasnt for another half an hour.
Another Australia n had their iPod taken during lock out time.
2/4 showers are without hot water. This hostel is a floor in an apartment building, so dont walk around in heavy shoes, hostwill have a go at you.
Just do yourself a favor and couchsurf or pay a bit more and enjoy rome.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, pretty simple.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank phat_tee
Regarding to this review we would like to justify that during this period one guest was hanged over and remained in the hostel on his own bed.About the lock out time we would like to make it clear that our lock out timings are written very clearly on the all websites we work with . And the lockers are provided to all the guests.Its does not make any sense if some one leaves the stuff scattered around in a mixed dorm to be stolen.
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Our first night here was just horrible and we wanted to leave. My friend and I booked a 4 bed dorm and ended up in what was originally a 6 bed dorm but kept having beds crammed in until there were 8 of us. When we complained the guy said he couln't do anything and we'd have to wait for the manager the next day so we slept (or at least tried) in the dorm. There was pretty much no room to put your things and security was terrible. The toilets and showers are together so good luck if you wake up in the morning needing the toilet and someone's taking a shower. Also, there's nowhere near enough facilities for the numbers they have staying. I will say, the next day the manager was helpful and really friendly, offering us money back for what we would have saved had we booked an 8 bed dorm and moved us to a much smaller one for the remaining nights. As others have said, it is a social hostel, which is a positive, I think it really just depends how much you care about cleanliness and whatnot.

The worst thing about this hostel, which was just creepy more than anything has to do with the lockout. We weren't too bothered about being locked out 10-5 as we had stuff to do but the fact the hostel was still filthy was incredibly annoying if you ever did need to get back in when that was there only reasoning. Something we stumbled upon to the actual reason was the staff sometimes sleep in your beds!!!! I'd forgotten something and got back to my room at 9.55 and because everyone had already left they had got on with the "cleaning" early, which actually involved one guy lying in a bed, while the other folded all the others up to move them around meaning the towel I had left to dry on the end of my bed was just in a pile of dirt on the floor. They shouted at us to get out because they were cleaning and it was just ridiculous

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
California
Reviewed 25 November 2012

This place is ok but the lock out until 5pm is annoying. Free wifi but only during certain times of day? It's a very social hostel but loud until 12am. No AC, no blankets and very minimal security. The lockers in the room were flimsy and could be broken into. The bathrooms/showers were nice. In short, this hostel is aimed toward young travelers who enjoy partying.

Room Tip: This hostel has strange lock out times. Be advised before booking.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends