“Very Dirty”

Ranked #818 of 1,100 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Bellingham, Washington
“Very Dirty”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Do Not Stay Here!!! Sleep on the street, it's cleaner. They kept our bags "safe" for us during the seven hour cleaning by putting them in a corner of a room along with everyone else's bags. When we returned several hours later we finally got to see the room we paid 60 Euros for. There were four beds, two of which were made for us. The beds that were made had dirty sheets on them. The beds that were unmade had dirty mattresses. Down the hall was a bathroom with urine all over the floor, which made the whole hallway smell like it. We asked for a refund right then and there and they refused saying they weren't the manager and didn't have an authority to do so. They offered to put new sheets on the beds and then in the morning the manager would be here and he could get us a refund. As we waited for the manager we looked around a little more. We discovered two other bathrooms that were equally as dirty with really wet floors, presumably urine. The kitchen was so incredibly gross I would never feel comfortable eating anything from it. I tried to take a picture to post on this review and the manager quickly blocked me. Cut to the chase, we never got a refund and 60 euros is way too expensive for this place. I wouldn't stay here if someone paid me to. We came home with bed bugs too. There are other great places to stay in Rome, so don't stay here even if you want cheap.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Linz, Austria
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I know that you can't expect a lot if you stay in a hostel - but honestly - I would NEVER EVER stay in this hostel again!
First of all: it was dirty, really dirty (I don't know what they're doing while 7h "cleaning"!),
second: there are still bed bugs (I mean honestly?! I think the first bed bugs-review was from 2012),
third: girls from our room left after their second night and the staff didn't even change the sheets!

Guys - I know that the other hostels in Rome are more expensive, but trust me: it's worth it!!
We've left the hostel after our second night and moved to another hostel and never looked back!

Room Tip: just don't go there at all
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

Though the location is good(close to vatican city and the river, far from train station and collosseum), the hostel experience is horrible. Very ugly hostel, they kick you out between 10-5 pm!! They say its for cleaning, but what the hell, its always super dirty. Theres like 10 beds per room and theres no soace for even puting your bags. The staff is weard and have a history of molestijg the girls. Definetly chose another one, i found one for the same price way better and moved.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Horrible horrible. So many bed bugs. I was eaten alive. I think staff know they have bugs. Staff is very kind. Really hostel is in very poor condition. No wifi after mid night. Not happy cover in over 30 bites from my face to my foot.

• Stayed June 2013
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I enjoyed my staying in this hostel. The welcoming staff make your staying memorable with their best sense of humour and hospitality. The lock time from 10:00 to 16:00 is little bit annoying but anyways it was not as problemetic as it seems.

Room Tip: I Recommend this hostel because of welcoming staff and the best location . Really worths to money.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Australia
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Positives:
10 mins from Vatican and about 30 to Trevi fountain in the other direction. Pretty cheap. Although the kitchen and common room are fairly small, they are close together and near rooms so its easy to meet other people. The rooms, or mine at least, we're spacious.

NEGATIVES:
Strict lockout from 10am until 4pm - for 'cleaning'. However, during this time they actually move your stuff, dismantle the beds, move them somewhere else. Some people who had returned early found staff sleeping in the beds (staff live at the hostel), I didn't catch them (although black hair in the beds weren't hard to find) but it totally makes sense with all the weird behaviour. Although they can be nice, there's just something not quite right about them (evidence by the whole 'get out now so we can sleep in your bed' thing).

The hostel slogan is 'Party, Party, Sangria!' but all this means is that they play really bad music (usually shakira. no, in fact, always shakira), that is more annoying than anything, and then at 11:45pm they turn it off and say the kitchen is closed and you have to go to your room (and be quiet) or go out.
Wifi is also turned off at midnight (and also 10am when you're supposed to leave).

2 out of 4 showers didn't have hot water.

Trust the reviews on tripadvisor, I believe they make up 100% reviews for themselves on HOSTELWORLD.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Flynn_Australia
ANUJ K, Front Office Manager at Hostel Happy Days, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Regarding to this review we would like to justify that the lock out time from 10:00 to 17:00 written very clearly on our all websites we work with . And about the music, with respect to the laws and the guests who prefer sleeping instead of partying ,the music is stopped playing at 24:00.
And about the reviews, all reviews are real and certified by hostel world.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 17 January 2013

"Party party sangria" hah what a joke. They play loud music from 8:00 - 00:00 then at 00:00 its light out or leave. Staff can be very rude, to the point of yelling, then can be nice offering things like a cup of tea.
10am you must leave the hostel, lockout till 4pm. They dismantle the bunk beds and remove them to somewhere unknown, people staying there said they had come back during the day and found staff in the beds.
After having my bed removed one day and being stripped of sheeting, I came back to find boogers and black hairs throughout my bed.
At 9.30 one morning after showering came back into the room to find my things across the floor and a man yelling at me "you must remove your things we need the bed"
I explained I needed underwear on before i was going to be doing anything, he persisted with the yelling, though lockout wasnt for another half an hour.
Another Australia n had their iPod taken during lock out time.
2/4 showers are without hot water. This hostel is a floor in an apartment building, so dont walk around in heavy shoes, hostwill have a go at you.
Just do yourself a favor and couchsurf or pay a bit more and enjoy rome.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, pretty simple.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank phat_tee
Regarding to this review we would like to justify that during this period one guest was hanged over and remained in the hostel on his own bed.About the lock out time we would like to make it clear that our lock out timings are written very clearly on the all websites we work with . And the lockers are provided to all the guests.Its does not make any sense if some one leaves the stuff scattered around in a mixed dorm to be stolen.