“Was not what was shown in the pictures. This is a HOSTEL posing as a B&B.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Maian B&B

Maian B&B
Ranked #2,763 of 3,752 Rome B&B and Inns
“Was not what was shown in the pictures. This is a HOSTEL posing as a B&B.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

Downstairs is smelly. The checkin took forever as owner was too busy watching tv. Downtairs room window doesnt close and has a ladder right outside the window, and it was cold. The rooms are dreary. The room is cleaned daily and breakfast delivered each morning was nice. However I booked this accomodation on laterooms.com and it was nothing like I expected, it was worse. The pics don't match reality. The only good thing was the location. When booking don't be fooled as I was this is advertised as Rome Accomodation B&B but it is a hostel. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank samsheehan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

This was our first visit to Rome and we didn't want to spend a lot. I found the cheapest price for Maian on Laterooms.com. The hostel accommodation is situated on the 5th floor of the building but the is always somebody in the office to help you. The accommodation is literally next door to Termini station so the best place if you plan to use the metro as this is the only place where the two lines meet. In addition, eating out here is much more traditional Italian food and half the price of say Piazza Navona. We enjoyed the food in is area very much.

Room was clean and comfortable. Bathrooms are shared but clean and secure.

Breakfast consisted of coffee, croissants, bread and juice. Not amazing but perfectly adequate for what we paid.

I travelled with my mother so purposefully booked a twin room rather than double. Upon arrival a mistake had been made and it was a double. Annalisa quickly arranged for an extra bed to be placed and made up in the room and it was very comfortable.

I would consider staying here again if visiting Rome on a budget.

Top tip.... Book Vatican tour through viator.com

• Stayed January 2012
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

First of all, this hostel is in a very good location - within walking distance from the train station. (just 2 blocks away). The staff is very friendly, always smiling and answers questions nicely. The room is very clean and cozy with lamps and a small fridge. We stayed at the room without shower/toilet and had to use the one outside. The toilet and shower room is very small but works fine. The breakfast was delivered to our room, simple but huge. On the floor we shared the public area with the other 2 rooms and it just feels like home with a small kitchen and dining area. The security is also good. I highly recommend it for budget travelers!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peiying
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

The Maian Hotel is located in a building of flats. The location is very convenient about 5 minutes from the Roman Termini station literately you only have to cross the street to get to the station. Termini Station is the main train station in Rome, so expect the neighbourhood to look rough and sketchy. Before arriving to Rome, I had read several guides and websites that talk about neighbourhoods in rome and made this neighbourhood sound worst that what actually is. Everyday I left my room with a camera equipment that is worth around 4k and came back late at night and I had not problem whatsoever.
So being aware of your surroundings and using common sense will keep you out of trouble. Sometimes you might see some characters around the station, but usually are foreigners minding their own business or people trying to sell you things. Overall highly recommended.

I booked a double bed ensuite and the room was spacious and clean. The bed was comfortable, clean and sufficient for me. The room has a ceiling fan which keeps the room cold during the hot summer night in Rome. The bathroom was very clean, not too much space around the toilet but the shower was good enough. Breakfast was served everyday early in the morning ( coffee, corn flakes, milk, croissant, butter, jam, and orange juice) and Alfredo always keeps bottles of water in a small fridge in the living room.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, specially Annalisa and Alfredo. Annalisa was always willing to answer any queries or concerns. This location offers Wi-Fi but you must ask for the username and password when you check in. The signal is weak, but it is good enough to use Skype, but if you want to upload tons of pictures, stream movies or music wait until you return home to do that (you are in Rome find something better to do).

The room offer a television, but it is set to a low volume level which defeats the purpose of having a Television. (not remote controller)

The building has a lift which comes very handy specially when you are bringing heavy suitcases with you. It is a small lift but it works and that was enough for me. Overall this is a great place to stay whilst visiting Rome. So enjoy the city, it's beautiful.
Overall highly recommended.

p.s. Rome Restaurants can put a great dent in your pocket book and contrary to popular belief Italian restaurants are not that impressive (e.g. 30EUR for two entrees, plus tip). So here is something you will appreciate which I discovered a bit too late in my trip. Chef Express is a self-served restaurant at the Termini Station that serves equally as good or better Pasta and food than most restaurants in Rome AND at a third of the price.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Santa Rosa, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

We booked this B&B after reading many reviews. It was in a good location (next to the Termini Station) and the places in Rome we wanted to see were just a subway ride away. We arrived around 8 p.m. and got a little mixed up, but we found it after a few detours (it helps to have a map). We were checked in right away by a gentleman who showed us the room and the kitchen area and provided us with keys. We had the ensuite room with the bathroom and paid in cash up front. The room is small and not fancy, but suited us perfectly. The one thing that bothered me is that we never saw the gentleman again, nor was there a phone number left for us to contact him. We ran out of toliet paper on the second day and left a note, but never received toliet paper. There was none in the other bathroom or where the supplies were located. This really irritated me as something as simple as TP should have been easily available. We also only had one towel to use between the two of us for our three night stay. Other than those two irritations, I would definitely stay in this area again and the Maian is a pretty good deal. There were lots of people on the streets and plenty of decent restaurants from which to choose. An internet cafe is two blocks away as the room did not have wi-fi.

Room Tip: Next to Train & Subway Station
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

We had spacious double ensuite room with fridge, and enjoyed a light help-your-self breakfast available from the small kitchen along with real Italian coffee.

Located right next to Rome Termini, on first floor of residential building, it was walking distance to all attractions and about 45min- 1 hour walk to the Vatican, with a stack of free city maps on the bench in the apartment for easy navigation (if you find Rome's small windy streets easy that is!)
We heard minimal noise from the streets at night, despite staying there whilst Rome celebrated 150 years of Unity!
In addition to which, there were several great, reasonably priced eateries in the same area, particularly Aqua Nequilla two blocks down and right!

We had an absolutely wonderful time - however, I was bitten severley by what could either be bed bugs or mosquitos during our stay, the pharmasist couldn't say which. I really hope it wasn't bedbugs as we would love to return to Maian should we return to Rome.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

This is the first time I've even thought about writing a review, but this place was so good I just felt compelled to do so!

I usually look at the latest reviews when using this site as I feel that they reflect the fairest view. The post below mine says "At home in Rome" and you really are!

Location: Right near the station, less than a couple minutes walk away and I've stayed in this neighbourhood a couple of times in Rome and never seen anything remotely dodgy, so don't worry! The main attractions aren't far to walk to, me and my girlfriend don't walk at all and we found it doable to walk from the B&B to the Vatican one day! (Albeit that was a little tiring).

Value: Absolute bargain for what you get!

Cleanliness: Spotless, the bathroom was so clean you wouldn't have been opposed to sleeping in there!

Rooms: Our room was so cosy and comfortable. The bed was a real double bed, not two single beds pushed together and then a double sheet, an actual double mattress and it was sooo nice to come back to after a long day of sight-seeing!
Nice little mini-fridge which we used to keep our sandwich making stuff in. Little lamps above both sides of the bed, a nice view out the window of a very green square! Even room to do a few exercises on the floor. I don't know whether we had quiet neighbours but we didn't hear anything other than a sneeze through the wall!

Service: met the guy the first day, saw him a couple times after throughout the 3 nights there. Very friendly, not great with his English on the phone, but is perfectly nice when you meet him in person! Gives you the keys, takes your details, it is cash on arrival, but that didn't bother us.

Breakfast is fine, quite basic but you have everything you need, we were so happy with the room and everything else that the breakfast didn't really matter. You can have a couple croissants and a coffee, or some cereal.

Overall we stayed for 3 nights, had a lovely time and would definitely stay again! I urge you to do the same! Basically, if you like your sleep and a nice place to chill and don't want to be afraid of coming back to your room early, whether it is during the day for a nap (like us), or after an early meal nearby, then don't hesitate booking here! Hope this has been helpful, contact me if you want to know anymore!

P.S (As for restaurants we went to "Est Est Est" one night, very old pizzeria and would seriously recommend for low prices and great food!)

My one very small criticism is that it can get quite loud outside in the evening, but it is bearable and the noise didn't continue after 23:30 and it was brief!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple