“Worst Visitor Attraction EVER!”
Review of Carcere Mamertino

and up
Christianity in the Ancient Rome Private Tour
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Worst Visitor Attraction EVER!”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Recently we travelled to Rome for an educational visit which fits in with the travel, tourism and hospitality course that we are studying. The 11 of us were all enjoying everything such as the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps and were all looking forward to the prison tour. 5 euros each I believe, it started off well talking about the incarceration of Saint Peter. Then it just got more and more ridiculous as we stood over some rocks and listened to a terrible audio story of what I can only describe as "rocks talking to each other" which was unbelievably boring and made very little sense. Then onto another room which gave another audio presentation which talked about beliefs and faith then a short film again about faith again then upstairs into a small church and then it finished. At this point we were relieved to be back outside a compete waste of time and money we learnt absolutely nothing! had more fun watching the buskers and street performers on the streets!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank debra h

• Polish first
Phoenix, Arizona
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Stumbled upon a nice tour”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This tour was included in the 3 day city pass. It was on my initial itinerary but decided not to go. After visiting the Forum, I stumbled into the door looking for the hop on hop off stop. The lady behind the desk gave me the information and asked it I would like to tour the place. She said it in Italian and I said no until she showed me the papers. I instantly changed my mind because this place was on my rough draft of places to visit. I didn't realize where I was at first. The lady was very nice and spoke great English. There were only 3 people in my group and we were able to move about with no problems. The audio guide was very helpful. I am a visual person and was able to put images with the information. Honestly, I felt more close to God there than at the Vatican, the final room display was the most moving part for me.

3 Thank lewiskay
Manchester, United Kingdom
181 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 276 helpful votes
“Worst Review I've Ever Written”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

If I could give a zero rating, I would!

I visited the Mamertine Prison well over 10 years ago and it was my best experience in Rome. You were invited to make a small donation and then walked down some steps into the prison itself and were able to stand in what is potentially the very cell in which St Peter was incarcerated, complete with the small spring from which he used the water. It was not a well publicised place and you could virtually be alone to absorb the atmosphere in the dark, dank cell.

No More! It is now the most ridiculous side show and I'm not even convinced as we stood on a metal bridge looking down, that we were even in the same room I was in all those years ago.

You move from room to room and see and hear a sight and sound presentation that is beyond being a joke, that talks about water and stone. Even the more spiritual presentation in the chapel at the end of the tour focusses on Christianity itself with virtually no mention of the history of the building and the events that were meant to have taken place there.

I purposely tested the walls in two of the rooms were were taken into, and these weren't even stone: they were man made fabrics in the design of stone and it is incredible to believe that what was once a uniquely spiritual experience has been reduced to a money making side show that misses the point entirely.

Don't go!

3 Thank Robin K
London, United Kingdom
“what a waste of time and effort to find ,if only i had thought to read reviews first”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Such a disappointing and waste of time .it was so hard to find and after I who was a catholic and my friend who was not both were both unsure what on earth the tacky light show was all about and as regards any kind of history or fact ---- none .don't waste your time as we did .

London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Lost the Plot ...”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Very very disappointing ... read on ...

Was highly recommended this by friend and spend quite some time trying to find where exactly it was and when you can visit.

Was expecting that as it is located in the church (i.e. directly below) it would be managed by the church and access during the standard church opening times. As it happens the church was closed and it is access by a side door on the neighbouring stairway with signs outside for a bus tour!!!

The tour itself is an audio guide and is absolutely desperate. If anyone in the Vatican heard this audio tour I'm sure it would be shut down immediately and blocked access to the church property and grounds. It really really is that bad, and an embarrassment to the church that they allow it to happen on their property.

Nothing about the history of St Peter, what is known, what is factual, what can be historically confirmed and what can't, what is left of the former prison and what part this cell forms of the whole, or what St Peters last few days (or the other prisons last few days) would have been like.
It's a load of drivel about water dripping and seeping through stones, and stones having memory and if they could talk ... then you go onto another room with an audio visual presentation of some stones having an argument with each other ... all very odd and frankly quite disturbing.

Whoever put this presentation together did no research, doesn't know the history and is probably on class A drugs and has a clinical condition.

I visited with a medical GP and a practising Catholic and we all had the same conclusion. Where were the facts? Whoever did this probably had a serious medical condition. Give me an hour of my life and my 5 Euros back.

Visited January 2014