“Very convenient location, quiet rooms, great staff”

Il Gattopardo Relais
Ranked #756 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 22 December 2009

Comfortable, quiet hotel very close to St. Peter's Square and the subway, in a central neighbourhood that is very safe to stroll in at all hours. Only 5 rooms; ours was large and more than adequate. Staff is very helpful. Only criticism would be that the breakfast is very limited but this is amply made up for by the tasty capuccinos and the really helpful 24-hour front desk staff.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Franklin06
There are newer reviews for Il Gattopardo Relais

Reviewed 19 September 2009

We stayed for 6 nights in the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Having walked a lot during the day, it was great to come back to a spacious, comfortable room. The hotel was quiet, with the traffic outside only audible when a siren went off.

The location was great, a short walk away from Vatican City and not far from buses, trams, small supermarkets and other shops, cafes and restaurants.

Our hosts were the only let down - during most mornings, a woman acted as receptionist and was not helpful - when asked about buses, she advised us to go on the Metro, clearly not listening to what we wanted to do. Most of the time we saw her, she was on the phone for very long periods. Although, the man who normally had the night shift was very polite and far more helpful.

My partner and I never use hotel restaurants, wi-fi / internet, gym or swimming pool - we only need a comfortable, clean room and this was ideal. For those looking for more, they should probably look elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LowJ
Reviewed 29 April 2009

I rarely write reviews, but my husband and I felt that people should know a few things about this hotel before booking. On the positive side, the rooms are clean and nicely furnished, and appear to be fairly recently renovated. Location is also a plus, withing a walking distance from the Vatican Museum and just a 2-minute walk from the metro. Now about the place itself. This is not really a hotel, this appears to be an old (although nicely renovated) apartment with many rooms, with the front desk located in what would be the corridor, and the kitchen/breakfast room in one of the rooms. The doors are thin as you would expect them in an apartment room, and therefore, as others have noted, there is absolutely no privacy and no quiet. You can hear someone whisper at the front desk, let alone the noise from the breakfast room. Needless to say, everything you do or say in your room, including going to the bathroom, watching TV, and whatever else you are planning to enjoy on your vacation, will be heard by others. We did not complain as it was pointless, but another guest did, and it seems to me his polite complaints were not received nicely, as there was a loud argument and lots of frustration on both sides.
Another drawback is that there was no free wireless internet. Other hotels in Italy offered this free service, but not this hotel. The security box in our room was broken, but we were informed about it only after the person at the front desk heard us trying to use it (through the closed door) and offered to keep the valuables in the general hotel safe. Another drawback which might be an issue for some people is the lack of an elevator. Not only that, but when we buzzed from the street, we were simply informed that there is no elevator and we need to go up--with the luggage. No one was sent to help us, and there is no way I would be able to carry the suitcase myself if I were to travel without my husband. Another minor issue is that there is no one at the front desk at night, and if you come back late, you can't even pick up the belongings in your safe, or ask questions. The questions, by the way (of which I had but a couple, i.e. where can I buy the Roma Pass), where NOT answered. In general, I felt that we were at a house of a friend of a friend of a friend, with the host not objecting to our stay, but not exactly welcoming us either. Considering that this is Rome, and there are many hotels there in this price range, I would most definitely go for something else.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank evochka
Reviewed 2 March 2009

I have to say I was very very happy with our stay in the Il Gattopardo Relais hotel.
We arrived out of the taxi to the hotel door (Which doesn't stand out on the street at all ... press number 2 on the buzzer). After telling the lady at the desk we had a reservation the door was buzzed open and we walked up a winding marble staircase to the 1st floor (There's no lift so you'll have to carry those bags).
The hotel is on a single floor in the building with reception in the hall that all the doors face onto. Rooms are individually named and we stayed in the Lampadeza room (I think that's the spelling!).
The room was large with high ceilings (13 foot I'd say), much larger than anywhere I'd stayed in Paris for the same price. The fittings in the room have a definite Boutique style which I think the ladies will appreciate more than the men. The main thing was that the room felt quite lavish with plenty of space. The TV was a bit out of place but I'm ready to forgive that.
My only gripe about the room was that the bed was 2 smaller beds pushed together (which seems to be getting increasingly popular in budget hotels). The matresses were past the point of firm and getting to the point of hard.

The bathroom extended the sense of space with a large sink and mirror, a full bath and a shower run from the taps in the bath. The shower was very powerful unlike the weak dribbles you sometimes have to deal with.

I feel I should address the noise issue that another user here experienced. For our stay this was definitely not as big an issue. We did find that the door to the hall could do with some extra sound proofing but the noise coming through the door did not carry on through unsociable hours.
You can hear conversations being carried on in the reception area but we did not hear the receptionist typing or filing.
Unless the other guests keep particularly unsociable hours the noise is not going to be an issue.

The location is fabulous. Step out the door and walk to your left for 2 minutes. At the metro entrance turn right and walk ahead for a further 8 minutes and you walk directly into St. Peter's Square.
The metro line is 3 stops from the Spanish steps and 8 stops (including one change to linea B) from the Coloseum.

Altogether I was very very happy with this hotel and the location and I would gladly recommend it to anybody wishing to stay there. You will have to look to the other reviews for a description of the service as we madevery little use of the hotel staff other than to call a taxi one evening.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rclerkin
Reviewed 12 November 2008

All reviews except one on this site were very positive so I booked this hotel for a romantic getaway for myself and my wife. I'm afraid I didn't find this hotel to be what I would have expected given the reviews. I am honestly not one for ranting negatively but I need to give a brief detail of the issues I found with this hotel -

Main problem was the noise from the main corridor. We arrived late went straight to bed after a tiring flight for 9:30pm. The reception desk is a few feet from the bedroom door, in fact all bedroom doors! The person on recpetion had conversations on the phone and in person with other guests all night, right outside the door! We could hear every word that was spoken and no attempt was made to keep the noise down. Also while working on the computer and doing paper work we could hear everything. I accept fully that the person on reception needs to carry out their work but the proximity to all bedroom doors is always going to be a problem.

Our room happened to be next to the breakfast room, so no luck there. Breakfast started to be prepared at 7am and as a result we were woken with loud banging and the noise of the coffee grinder.

The room was spotlessly clean but was small and darkly grim. I accept that we arrived at night, but the room was depressingly dark and was not a place that I would have looked forward to coming back to after a long day in Rome.

As I said I would not have looked forward to coming back each day to this hotel and facing a night of disturbed sleep so myself and my wife checked out the next morning and moved to another hotel.

This hotel seems to be fine for the vast majority of guests so I would not rule out this hotel out based on my experience. It just wasn't for me. The noise in the main corridor was too much of an issue, it might be okay for you. We just could not sleep with the reception desk being so near to our bedroom door.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Pastyp
Reviewed 27 September 2008

After spending hours researching hotels in Rome, Italy I kept coming back to the Il Gattopardo Relais. The majority of the reviews on Trip Advisor were positive. I decided to go ahead with the booking and was not disappointed.

From the moment we arrived until the moment we left, the staff could not do enough to help us. They were so friendly and accomodating. They even presented us with a bottle of champagne for our Honeymoon.

I would certainly reccommend this hotel to others. It is is a great location, close to the Vatican and a short cab ride or bus ride to other historical sites in Rome.

We would stay here again.

Mary

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 22 September 2008

Great little hotel. Close to Vatican and tube station. Some nice restaurants nearby. Would also like to mention Maximus Tours with whome I booked several tours. My friend has some health issues and Joanne the guide was very kind and allowed us to go at his pace. She was also very informative and we enjoyed her knowledge and company and she made the Vatican experience even more exciting.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends