“Great small hotel in an excellent location.”

The Inn At The Roman Forum
Ranked #12 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
NJ
“Great small hotel in an excellent location.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed in an Executive room at the Inn At The Roman Forum for two nights with my son in August. Room was very comfortable and nicely appointed. Bed was amazing! Nice large bathroom with whirlpool tub, comfortable sitting area, and a very nice Continental breakfast on the roof top deck. Great location near the Forum and Colloseum. You can always find your way back to the hotel. It's on a quiet street that is not accessible by cars. Might be tricky to find if you are driving. Lobby is very small, but the women at the front desk were always helpful and made good suggestions. Very cool Roman ruins behind the lobby that my son liked checking out. Great choice in Rome!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

We spent 4 nights at this hotel. This is a boutique hotel about 7 minute walk to the Coliaseum in a reaidential quiet area.
THE ROOMS - We booked a Double Superior Room and got a reasonable price by pre-paying online. That room was very small; we asked for an upgrade but was told there was nothing available. After seeing my disappointment we were upgraded to a much nicer room 2x upgrade at no extra cost. Rooms were clean and nightly turn down service provided.
BREAKFAST - Was included in our rate and was good included continental buffet and eggs if you wished. Complementary Happy Hour was Complementary if you paid for a cocktail. That was ok and a nice option.
This was a good hotel and a quiet alternative to the busier Spanish Steps.

• Stayed August 2013
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Wonderful experience! Sylvia Catalano, the manager, was very helpful anytime we needed it. Valentina, the breakfast waitress,was very attentive and always cheerful, even when handling several tables of customers I might describe as difficult in relatively close quarters in the outdoor eating area. This is a small facility - not a huge hotel - and they are accomplishing a lot with limited resources and a few people who all wear multiple hats. I saw Adam (the go-to guy if you have trouble with foreign accented English) hauling luggage, cleaning common areas, gathering up laundry, bar-tending, cooking breakfast - almost anything you can imagine in a hotel. Our first night we noticed the happy hour buffet and looked around for a drink. Another couple told us - "just sit down, and he appears out of nowhere." They were right. I did not see William as often, but when i did, he was hustling and also doing multiple jobs. It is only steps to the Forums and the Colosseum is an easy 10-15 minute walk. if you turn left out of the front door of the hotel, walk down the steps to the Via Baccina, turn left again and go a little ways to the first right ( Via del Cardello, maybe?) and walk to the Via Cavour, you will find 8-10 restaurants, all with outside dining, five of which we ate at and were very satisfied. If you walk up Cavour (away from the Colosseum) there is a currency exchange place that is not too much of a rip-off, several souvenir shops, several gellato shops, and many more restaurants within an additional 10-20 minute walk.

The minor negatives - a dumbwaiter serves as the elevator. It refused to move when my wife and I plus our two bags were in it. I stepped out and climbed the stairs -she went up with the bags. Seriously - I think 10 square foot might be on the high side, so if you have any claustrophobia, you might have Adam or William handle your luggage for you and go up without it, or take the stairs. Another - insects in the garden area. We did not spend much time there, but other guests received multiple bug bites when they sat out there after sundown.

I would not hesitate to recommend this unique and wonderful hotel to anyone able to handle the walking and climbing - we would love to come back here,

Room Tip: This street is so quiet I cannot imagine traffic ever being an issue. We loved our room on the fourt...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
SilviaCatalano, Front Office Manager at The Inn At The Roman Forum, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your beautiful review, regarding your recent stay with us.

I am really happy to hear from you that your wife loved as Rome as our Inn. Thank you also for your nice words regarding our Staff.

Please feel free to contact me directly in case you will need any further assistance in future.
Looking forward to your return to our Inn at the Roman Forum.

Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed at the Inn for 3 nights after we disembarked from a long cruise. We had been to Rome before and stayed in one of the modern hotels in a touristy area, so we were really looking for a different experience. I booked this hotel after perusing the many reviews on hotels here on TripAdvisor.

This boutique hotel is indeed off the beaten path! In fact, it might be hard to find in the dark if you didn't know it was there. It's located at the end of a small restricted traffic street, so it was very quiet. We stayed in the Master Garden Suite which was on the top floor with direct access to the roof top garden, so we were able to enjoy our morning coffee on our little porch, and enjoy evening cocktails in the garden. The room was very roomy with a nice large bathroom. The Cryptoporticus is also very cool! We easily walked to many sites, and there were lots of nice cafes within a 2 mile radius of the hotel.

We arrived on a Saturday, and the young man on duty as the porter/bartender/you name it he did it! was absolutely wonderful. Poor guy had to haul our luggage up 4 flights of stairs as the elevator in the place is VERY small. The happy hour snack were tremendous that first night with over a dozen selections of pizza, hot h'ordevours, cold cuts, cheese, olives, etc. - in fact they were so good we didn't even go out for supper (we were pretty tired anyway). The next 2 nights, a different fellow was on duty, and we were quite disappointed in the Happy Hour - only some awful cold pizza and some sort of stuffed cheese balls, and we couldn't even get anybody to serve us a drink. I must say that when we complained to the front desk, they did bring us some cold cuts and cheese straightaway to our room, so that was very nice customer service.

The breakfast spread was awesome all three days - tons of selections served buffet stye and they would cook you fresh eggs on request.

Service was a little hit and miss, but we were pleased with our stay overall. We would definitely stay here again should we have the opportunity.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
SilviaCatalano, Front Office Manager at The Inn At The Roman Forum, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review to our Inn at the Roman Forum.

I can assure you that all our Guest’s suggestions are taken in serious consideration as from the Property, as from all the Staff.
Our main goal is to try to provide to all our Guests the Best Service possible, therefore your review will be very important for us to improve our service more and more.

Hoping to welcome you very soon to our Inn.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed at The Inn in May 2013. It is a pretty inn that left us a tad disappointed because of the lack of warmth at the reception. We had booked two rooms. The ground floor room had mosquitoes and in spite of our reporting the problem, not much was done about it. The breakfast was always enjoyable. The terrace offers a fabulous view. It would have been perfect if we saw a hint of a smile at the reception. Since we were in a room right next to reception, the long faces were a bit of a dampener.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the higher floors.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank senarp
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience to our Inn with others Tripadvisor travellers.

I truly apologize for the inconvenience of the mosquitoes that occurred during your stay.
Regarding the Staff also I am very sorry, I can assure you that is not our normal attitude with our Guests.

I truly apologize and I hope to have the chance to make it up the next time you will be in our Hotel.

I really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you for your next stay in Rome.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Coming to a place like Rome, with its grand history, we thought we'd branch out (slightly) from our usual choice of contemporary-styled hotel room and stay somewhere that was modern yet still retained some olde world character. As soon as we walked into our Junior Suite (room 301) at The Inn at the Roman Forum we knew we had made the right choice! You can never be sure from photos on hotel websites exactly how a room will look but as you can probably guess from my excitement that our suite looked better than the photos! The well-layed out room pretty much ticked all the boxes - super comfortable bed and couch, large TV and great Wi-Fi.

My only issue was that for our third and final night we had to be moved to a different room (101). We were never really fully explained why we had to move and although it had the same basic layout, it was furnished differently and wasn't quite as nice.

Other than this, it was in a great location near the site of Ancient Rome and the service we received from all the staff as a whole was terrific. And to top it all off, we got a free airport transfer for staying at least 3 nights. An almost perfect hotel experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DinkyDiDinks
Dear Guest,

First of all thank for taking the time to share your positive experience on Tripadvisor regarding your stay to our Inn at the Roman Forum.

I am glad to know from you that you had an almost perfect stay with us.
We truly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again very soon to our Inn.

Do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance in future.
Jacksonville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here 9 nights. Our room was Master suite with patio outside our room!! Smaller than the exectives but I wanted a place to read and enjoy the morning and evening outside! It was beautiful.... flowers, trees, and quite!! The Inn is very small... just what we wanted! This isn't for people who want to be catered every minute, but for someone who is looking to enjoy the Roman feeling! It is off the most traveled area but still close to the major walk ways and restrauants. We were able to walk everywhere, but there are taxi stations 5 minute walk from them. We had no noises from anything!! They did have elevator... small. Breakfast was awesome... plenty of pastries, fruit, cheeses, cured meats, and if you would like eggs. They went all out!! They do have 5-7pm food if you buy a drink... I saw a couple of times it was plenty of food and nice. We were always coming back to the room about this time to freshen up for our dinner. We were always greeted with smiles in the mornings from Valentina and Silvia.... and in the evenings greeted with smiles from the other Silvia and Manuel! They always were asking if everything was to our liking and if they could do anything for us. They went far and above our expectations. The Wifi was great too!! I was able to Skype with my children everyday and upload pictures for everyone back home to see. A/C was great... always cooled our room, since it was in the 90's!! I was so happy to have chosen a wonderful place. This place is great for couples, seniors, and families... who don't expect the same as they would from a bigger hotel. This is a small place, small staffing, BUT they try everything in their power to satisfy your needs!!! I will one day go back!!! I just hope I have the same staff because they became family while we were there!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pbscastle
Dear Guest,

I thank you very much for having posted this wonderful review, regarding your recent stay to our Inn.

I thank you very much for your kind words regarding our Staff. We are very proud to know that your stay with us has been pleasant for you, and that you appreciated our services.

We hope to be all still here to welcome you again for your next stay with us.
Looking forward to your return in Rome,
I remain at your disposal for any further assistance in future.