“B&B in Roma”

Ranked #13 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
London, UK
“B&B in Roma”
Reviewed 31 August 2008

Rome, like most large capital cities had a multitude of deluxe five-star properties to choose from. Instead of picking the usual international circa 150-room property I thought I would go for something more boutique. After reading through reviews on this web-site, and other sources, Inn At The Roman Forum sounded like the perfect choice - a five star hotel distilled into twelve individually designed rooms and very personal service. How wrong this turned out to be!

As everyone else has stated, it is a difficult hotel for taxi drivers to find, but after having been driven around the block a couple of times we were there! The moment I saw the receptionist/concierge/... come out to take in the heavy luggage I knew things were not going to go smoothly. Maybe I should explain, when I arrive at the hotel I like to see a porter/doorman who is strong and looks just as/more capable of handling the baggage as I do and is employed expressly for that purpose. I do not expect someone to be multitasking. Others have commented that in a small hotel one member of staff may take on several roles, true, and that is fine, but NOT if a property purports to be five star and charges accordingly. Location is good for sightseeing and of course it is on top of the forum which is an awe inspiring part of the city.

After the receptionist had sort of hauled one of my cases in, a boy who looked more like a porter of some description assisted with the rest of my luggage. I was kindly upgraded to a "deluxe" room. Upon check-in they ask you to sign an abnormal number of contracts - I have stayed in countless hotels and never have I seen such attempts in securing their position e.g. they took an imprint of my credit card and wanted me to sign a blank slip effectively giving them a blank cheque from myself. Even at this stage I did not trust them enough to do this and refused. It is details like this that distinguish a professionally run property from an amateur imitation.

The room itself was on the ground floor, right by the entrance corridor so that you could hear all the comings and goings. Indeed, I had a sleepless night as the walls/ceilings are paper thin as noted by other reviewers here. Decor was a bit "changing rooms" over the top. Lots of cheap fabric draped over metal poles overhanging the bed, cheap fitted wardrobes, a badly installed bathroom, and tiles very badly laid throughout. It looked very pleasant in pictures, but in reality it was easy to pick flaws in it. Some might find me having overly high standards, but this is a five star property charging five star prices, at that level it is open to this sort of critique in the same way a three Michelin star restaurant raises the expectations of their diners; they simply have to be able to deliver! Also, the room was very dark with only a small window covered by a grill, onto the quiet street at the front. In fact, one might say it felt like a prison cell. There was a safety deposit box in the room that was just sitting in the wardrobe, no attempt had been made to secure it in any fashion so a sneaky thief could quickly walk in, pick it up and carry it out under his arm. This type of safe is not secure at the best of times, but is utterly pointless if no attempt is made to bolt it down! Bed had a very soft mattress, which again comes down entirely to personal preference, but I like something firmer, so if you have a bad back, once again beware.

I complained about the room, and the receptionist arranged for me to be shown a couple of others. Both were of a lower grade and absolutely tiny. The "classic" room which I was shown with only a walk in shower (no bath) was miniscule and quite frankly a joke at the prices they charge. Again, lots of fabrics draped around for effect. Needless to say, I stayed in my original room. For fairness, I will mention that I was offered an "executive" room the following day, but I did not actually see the room so cannot comment on it. Most of the rooms look onto a narrow light well, that is anything other than light so had the same prison gloom in the air. All in all I was most disappointed with the rooms which did feel like ones in an upmarket bed and breakfast on the seafront of say Brighton or one of the trendier seaside resorts. They certainly did not have the style nor substance to be qualified as five star standard - some nice Etro toiletries, slippers and robes doesn't make a room five star.

The early evening buffet was pleasant - a selection of olives, tomatoes, mozzarella, other cheeses, arancini, potato croquettes (not homemade), cold cuts and fresh fruit. This was taken on the top floor in what is probably the most stylish room there, a "lounge" for want of a better description. Lots of coffee table style books and coffee tables upon which to read them. The hotel was about 50% (possibly higher) occupancy, but I did not encounter any other guests, so this room had absolutely no atmosphere, rather like the rest of the hotel. A comment on this buffet is that it is very petty not to provide a bottle of water from which one might drink, instead charging you for any drinks. Of course one is not compelled to purchase any drinks, but if you are going to provide complimentary food, why not complete the whole "experience" and at least offer some water?

Upon returning from dinner I arrived at the hotel to find a new receptionist/concierge/.... standing outside the hotel enjoying a cigarette whilst leaving the desk unmanned. Does one really expect to return to a five star hotel to find one of the staff having a fag outside? I raised this with yet another receptionist the next day who seemed bemused as to what my problem was. Incidentally I had asked this member of staff some basic questions (about the "Rome card" tourist pass, and Nero's house) about the local tourist attractions and he declined to answer and told me he would get back to me. I only expect a concierge in a five star hotel to decline to answer me if it is a complex, unique or unusual request, not something that is surely fundamental to any tourist, especially given the hotel's location!

The garden is nowhere near as idyllic as the web-site photography makes it appear. It is pleasant enough, but feels more like a table and chairs, some trees and a bit of scrubby lawn rather than "Eden". In fact all the photography on the web-site is very flattering, taken from clever angles to add a sense of space, height and quality that just doesn't exist in reality.

Breakfast was disappointing. This time I took it on the small terrace which is quite a pleasant space, but the lack of serving staff (one man occasionally coming out of hiding in the "kitchen" area) made it seem strange. Similar food to the evening buffet, but not as interesting and fruit wasn't as varied. Nothing of any great quality and the pastries were bog standard supermarket ones. By far the most disappointing breakfast I ate in Italy. I appreciate that this is a small property so it is not perhaps economical (although for the prices they charge, it should be) to order a vast amount of food that will go to waste, but some high quality patisserie, local cheeses (why have some plastic Dutch stuff when Italy abounds with superb cheeses?) and breads would be a perfect start to the day!

After a sleepless night where every hour or so I could hear the receptionist traipsing outside for another fag, and the conversation of people in the room above I had had enough and wanted to check out. Unfortunately they have a cancellation policy requiring notice otherwise they charge for further nights regardless. The receptionist didn't speak wonderful English but I communicated that I wanted to check out and would pay for my sleepless night (In the past I have stayed in countless hotels and on the very rare occasion I have a sleepless night due to a fault on their part I have never been charged for it, and indeed have been offered a further complimentary one by way of apology) and I did not want to incur further charges. The receptionist first offered me the aforementioned "executive" room, I declined to view it as I just wanted to escape due to the stress of my experience so far. I was informed I would be charged for my sleepless night and the following night. I disagreed that this should be the case and the receptionist agreed to telephone her manager. Fifteen minutes later she said that I could leave and only pay for the night I had taken. A receipt was prepared charging me for one night, I signed a credit card slip charging me for one night. I once again verbally confirmed, most explicitly that I would not incur any further charges, this was confirmed. I felt that I had taken the utmost in way of precautions to ensure that I would not be billed for anything other than what I had signed for. At this stage I will say that whilst I was desperate to check out, I would not have left without having taken any nights I would have had to pay for. The hotel called me a taxi and I thought that my nightmare would be over.

Upon returning to the UK I checked my credit card bill and the hotel and decided to charge me for an additional night. I telephoned to speak to a manager who was most unsympathetic to my cause. She said that she understood my point, but that was their policy and it was not up to her to offer any recourse as only the owner (who was/is on holiday) can do that. What five star hotel exhibits such dishonesty and penny pinching pettiness as this? What five star hotel offers nothing in way of customer service? I now have to rely on my credit card company recovering this for me.

If you are looking for a five star hotel by any way or stretch of the imagination, this is not it. The staff is not professional enough, the decor and furnishing are not of an high enough quality, and the whole experience leaves a lot to be desired. To all those who think it is a "hidden gem" I can only hope that it stays that way. You see, if this had been a four star property, charging fair four star prices I might've had the same scenario and sequence of events happen, but have been more readily accepting of them. If one buys an ancient Roman relic and finds that it is in fact a 15th century imitation are they likely to be as satisfied with it? Overall it feels like a B&B and offers about as much professionalism and service as Fawlty Towers.

After my torturous night I checked into a five star hotel that was also small (it had three times the number of rooms of this one, but that is still small) but had a professional staff and I did genuinely feel that it delivered a five star standard.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of service, paper thin walls, four star feel for five star prices
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
14 Thank IntlTraveller21stc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 27 August 2008

Have just got back from a long weekend in Rome where I stayed at the Inn at the Roman Forum hotel, tucked away on a side street near the actual Forum.

The hotel itself is small but extremely well run and the rooms (at least the one I stayed in) was spacious and very comfortable with air con (a necessity in the Rome summer), great shower, plasma screen and even a jacuzzi. Breakfast was included and was excellent and there were complementary snacks laid on from 5-8pm - much needed after a hard days sightseeing.

The staff at the hotel were extremely helpful with recommending places to eat and organising taxis etc and could not have been any more friendly - even putting up with my woeful attempts to speak Italian with admirable patience. The final bonus is the hotel is actually built around the Forum and has a small forum exhibit all of their own! I'd definitely recommend the hotel to anyone on a short break to Rome.

• Liked — Friendly and helpful staff
  • Disliked — Getting lost trying to find it!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Switzerland
Reviewed 11 August 2008

This is a small hotel tucked away on a small street facing the Roman Forum, just around the corner from the Piazza Venezia and just up the street from the colosseum.

Location: Amazing. It is handy for all the main sites, for good shopping, and for restaurants. However, because it is tucked away in a neigbourhood, it is quiet and you feel like you are properly 'in' the city rather than 'at' the city.

Room: The superior room was fantastic. A gorgeous mix of new and old; a sleek design that didn't compromise the warm feeling; super comfortable bed; and thoughtful amenities such as an ipod dock. Also includes the usual perks of a high-end hotel - robes, slippers, nice toiletries, big tv, powerful air conditioning ...

Hotel: Small, quiet, peaceful, comfortable, and lovely. the breakfast room/ salon on the top floor is fantastic with its lay-out which is cosy but luxurious, and the terrace with great views. The breakfast was perfect, and evening drinks on the terrace a great wind-down to packed days.

Service: Super. Really very impressive. The staff are warm, professional, helpful, and certainly go the extra step to make you feel cared for. This was my best friend's first time visiting Europe and the staff of this hotel really made it a special experience for both of us.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
Zürich
Reviewed 3 August 2008

As we were on our honey moon we received an excellent junior suite for the same price as offert on www.hotel.de for a simple standard room. The roof terrace where the breakfast was offered is splendid. The possibility to enjoy the afternoon drink in the partner hotel next to the Spanish stairs was another extra.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 July 2008

We booked this night as our "splurge" hotel, since it was the first night of our honeymoon. It was absolutely stunning! We loved how it had the charm of a boutique hotel with the amenities of a large luxury chain. The "snacks" from 5-8pm offered on the top floor filled us up enough for us to consider it dinner! (I don't really eat too much, so that might not be so for everyone.) The coffee in the morning was absolutely divine, too. If the dollar were stronger, we would have stayed more than one night, for sure. We'd love to stay there again! The location is right next to the Roman Forum, too, so it's very convenient.

• Liked — Beautiful decor, very comfortable
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 22 July 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel as a stopover on the way to Positano, and we were really suprised and delighted with how nice this hotel is. When booking, I went soley on the reviews on Trip Advisor as the hotel website is quite poor and does not show the hotel in its best light.

The Inn is very discreet on a narrow road and poor signage on the front. On arrival, we were greeted by friendly staff and a glass of orange juice which was a nice touch. I booked the cheapest room and it was really spacious with huge flat screen tv and modern bathroom. I loved the Etro shampoos and lotions too.

The rooftop garden is a real surprise and very tranquil. The Inn is in a great spot for sightseeing and shopping. The Colossum is only a 5 minute walk away.

The staff were very friendly and the only complaint I would have is that the drinks are quite expensive in the bar. Otherwise a great hotel!

• Liked — The rooftop garden, the spacious rooms, the bathroom toiletries.
  • Disliked — The bedsheets could have been better quality, the drinks in the bar are expensive.
Florida
Reviewed 16 July 2008

The hotel staff is extremely hospitable, the front desk associates were exceptionally helpful (booked car reservations in another city for us, assisted with train travel, gave great food recommendations and booked reservations). The staff was better than any 5-start concierge we've dealt with. The rooms are exceptionally well decorated with the latest technology/modernization. Breakfast and late evening meal service on the rooftop was an unexpected bonus with excellent food choices and presentation. This hotel by far, was the best hotel we've stayed at in all our travels. Very quaint hotel, nice and safe (quiet) area but yet close to all site-seeing areas.

Would recommend this place to any one going to Rome looking for a superior place to stay.

• Liked — Location, Friendly Staff, Food, etc...