“Overpriced”

Ranked #14 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
finickytraveler1
“Overpriced”
Reviewed 19 July 2010

At 550e per night I was expecting a 5 start hotel. Unfortunately, this hotel didn't meet my expectations for a 3 start hotel.

What I didn't like:
-air conditioning wasn't nearly as powerful as it needed to be.. resulting in a hot room and uncomfortable sleep
-decor is old and cheap
-bed is hard and has really ugly, old sheets/blankets
-food was really, really not good (stale, cheap, yuck!). more like a best western buffet (evening snack and breakfast)
-linens, glasses, etc. are all very ugly ..like something you'd pick up at a 80's restaurant depot sale
-bathroom shower leaked water everywhere
-toiletries were not high quality
-in general, hotel feels seedy and out of date - absolutely nothing charming about this property
-charged for rediculous things like ice and internet access (when paying 540 per night ice should be complimentary)
-no gym, no pool, no business center, internet access very, very spotty (and charged 10e per day)

What I liked
-Area was nice
-Staff were very nice
-Entrance to hotel very nice (looks very promising at first impression)

I must warn you that I felt completely taken advantage of.. and in fact, I'm now worried about trip advisor reviewers.. I don't understand how anyone could think this was a hotel worth 540e per night (or anything above about 100e per night).

If you are looking for a charming, beautiful, 5-star experience then do not book this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 July 2010

We are used to the big business hotel chain but decided to try something different this time in Rome. We spent two nights in the Inn at Forum booked through amex travel and had a really wonderful experience with this hotel. They booked the taxi pick up from airport for us so the trip out of airport to Rome was pain free. The hotel has about 12-14 rooms only. It is situated in a residential area with cobble streets all around. Very quiet but no more than 5 minutes walk to the Colosseum. We got ourselves free upgrade upon check in courtesy to Amex card. The rooms were done up very tastefully. Although our boys are not in adjoining rooms there are only 3 rooms per floor so they are literally within arms length. Our deluxe room is pretty big by European standard with a 4 poster bed and a separate seating area. The air con was strong enough with Rome being really hot during our stay. Like other reviews the breakfast on the terrace is just wonderful. There is also an afternoon snack buffet which was very thoughtful. Just go ahead and book it and you won't regret it.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
North East
Reviewed 30 June 2010

We arrived at the hotel after a long train journey from Venice. It is advertised as 5 star boutique. The area around the Stazione was as 'lively' as ever and we lept in a taxi to get away from that area of Roma as quickley as possible. The taxi driver had no idea where the hotel was and delivered us to a different one before driving aimlessly about and then dumping us at the end of an alley pointing with a lack of enthusiasm to a dusty lane.
The hotel looked boutique from the outside. The sign on the door tiny and the reception small but that's what boutique is all about. That is what we had wanted and that is what we had booked. We were only glad that in a few minutes we would be able to take a shower. Our passports were taken and our credit card was immediately swiped (for extras). I fear our problems started because we had prepaid many months ago for the room itself. We were invited to have a look around the Roman ruins at the back of the hotel whilst we were checked in. Very interesting but we wanted to get to our room and change. After our polite wander around the ancient walls at the back, and after our credit card had been fully processed we were told that there was good news and bad news. The bad news was apparently that a baby had got an ear infection, could not fly and so we had no room to stay in (by sheer coincidence the last time I was 'bumped' in London it was a baby with an ear infection - how strange). The good news they said was that we would be taken to a sister hotel where we would get a jacuzzi bath. The sister hotel was around the corner. It wasn't. It was a 4 star 'contemporary' offering in the area around the Stazione. I had booked a 5 star near to the forum as we needed to be near the forum for the evening we had planned. A 4 star in an area which reminds me of Kings Cross in the 80's was not what I wanted. It was not what I had booked many months before. It is still a mystery why were we not told this immediately on arrival. We were told there were no 5 star hotels available. I immediately made some enquiries myself and found a number of 5 star hotels with rooms all over Rome. We were told that we had to stay within their group of hotels. I infomed them this was not acceptable as there group had nothing equivalent available. We were then offered a room in the hotel itself but when we got to it we were told the air conditioning had broken down. They could put a machine type thing in perhaps. We declined. We were finally booked into a hotel across town which my wife wanted us to take just to get us out of there. However when the taxi turned up we were told that there was something happening which meant taxis would not go into that area. We could, we were told, be probably taken somewhere and then walk through the streets of Rome until we found it. By now I was annoyed. I told the receptionist that I wanted a room in a 5 star hotel near the forum which is what I had contracted for. We were told again that there were none. At this I had to go onto the internet myself and surprise surprise I found one within minutes. A room in a 5 star boutique hotel near the forum. Nothing happened for sometime. We were then told there were issues with the price. It has to be said that in dealing with this matter we felt sorry for the girl on reception. The manager who appeared only after some time, and a specific request to speak to someone, looked annoyed that we should have turned down her Stazione jacuzzi offer and kept disappearing into her office leaving the receptionist to fend off our not unreasonable enquiries as to what was happening when it appeared nothing was being done. The manager's attitude was appalling and disgraceful. Everything seemed to be too much trouble. There was no effort to help. The hotel were in the wrong. Mistakes happen, things happen but they should have done all they could to put matters right. It was left to me to do it all. Eventually I insisted on being taken to the hotel that I had found on the web. Further delay took place before they eventually gave in. It was now about 2 hours since we had arrived in Rome. I am pleased to say that at the new hotel we were treated properly. We will certainly return to that hotel. It seemed to appreciate that 5 star hotel required 5 star service, and attitude, and common decency and good manners. We will never set foot in the Inn on the Forum, or it's sister hotels - jacuzzi or not.
I have emailed the hotel on 3 occasions asking for the details of a director in order to complain. I have had no response.
Doesn't surprise me.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 June 2010

When we checked into this hotel and saw our room and the upstairs terrace it was everything we wanted for our holiday. We were on the first floor, so even though we could sometimes hear things in the hallway, it was still splendid to be in our luxury cave. Everything was spacious and the bed was comfortable with lots of pillows. We loved the terrace and went up there to drink wine after our dinners (staff very helpfully brought us glasses and snacks when we appeared). We also took advantage of an offer they had to visit the terrace for happy hour at the Inn at the Spanish Steps for a perfect refreshing snack and glass of wine before we kept walking. The staff at both inns was great. We had a bunch of questions and when they couldn't give us answers they would research it until they could.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 1 June 2010

This hotel was a great find - when checking in you are welcomed with a drink and allowed to walk through some Roman ruins while they register your details. Location is extremely central (walking distance to most areas). Taxis won't drop you off right at the door as it's at the end of a small street. Beautiful, small hotel with a one-person reception (very helpful and all those we saw spoke English too). Flowered roof terrace where aperitivos are served.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 31 May 2010

My wife and I stayed with this hotel at the suggestion of a travel agent and we were more than pleased! We were upgraded (free) to a nicer room upon arrival. The airport transfer service offered by the hotel was very reasonably priced. Contrary to other reviews, the "alley" where the hotel is located is not graffiti covered and certainly isn't unsafe. We didn't experience any noise from the streets below and we left the windows open most of the time.

The location is great. The hotel is less than five minutes walking from the Colosseum and is adjacent to the Trajan's Market ruins. The Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, Baths of Caracalla and Circums Maximus are all very easily and quickly reached on foot from the hotel. Piazza Novana, Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon can all be walked as well. We only used the bus to go to the Vatican and Campo de Fiori. The staff was friendly--they offer umbrellas during poor weather, provide adapters should you forget yours or need an extra. The breakfast was nice and I recommend taking them up on it even if it isn't included in the room rate you choose.

Tours are available on their web site though I recommend booking through a local tour group as we were able to find them for a bit cheaper. Although the packages the hotel offers often include transportation.

You are less than five minutes from a bus stop and with a metro line right next to the Colosseum transportation isn't a problem. We were very pleased with our stay and will certainly stay here next time we travel to Rome.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 8 May 2010

I would NOT recommend staying here. When we arrived off the train, no taxi new where this place was. It turns out the reason is because it is located in an alley way full of graffiti, trash and resident parking. They boast themselves (and charge for) a luxury hotel, but the location is anything but luxurious. We were also told upon reservation that if we were interested in booking a private tour to the Vatican that we could do so with a call to the concierge. We tried this and all they did was send us to the Vatican website so we could do everything ourselves. When we arrived, we found out why. They don't have a concierge. In fact, we only saw that they had 2 staff at the hotel. When we asked for something simple like a location where we could ship souvenirs back to the US, they referred us to the internet as they didn't know. We then had to purchase their wireless internet for 10 Euro to find our way. Not helpful whatsoever. Couple of other things to be aware of: 1) the rooftop terrace doesn't have much of a view, although they will tell you otherwise, 2) taxis will no pick you up or drop you off in front as it is in an alley (you have to walk down a set of stairs outside to get to another small road where a taxi still gets lost), and 3) local residents tend to congregate just outside the hotel at all hours talking and smoking around the scooters they park in front of the hotel entrance. Now, the rooms were nice, the bed was comfortable, and bathrooms were plenty big. If that is all you are interested in it could be a nice place for you. But if that is all you are interested in, why would you pay 350 Euro ($500) a night? Oh, after the first night when we indicated we weren't pleased with what we paid for and found a better hotel for half the price, they proceeded to charge us the FULL amount of the 3 nights we had booked before we could leave. We have been in a battle with them to get that refunded. Don't stay here! There are MUCH better hotels in better areas for less money.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple