“Just could not be better”

Villa Spalletti Trivelli
Ranked #16 of 1,273 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My Wife and I have just returned from a 3 city tour of Italy and for 4 days we were lucky enough to stay here. The hotel really is all and more then we expected.
I do not usually write reviews but this is one of those Gems that need to be celebrated.
Did not use the Spa/Turkish bath so can not rate it but I am sure it would have been excellent.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms in the hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelsnotenough

Reviewed 27 January 2014

If you enjoy staying in chain hotels then this may not be for you. This is an incredibly unique property which is difficult to articulate in a review. The hotel is a renovated almost stately manner however has a very personal and unobtrusive style. The staff are very willing to accommodate the guests but in a very inconspicuous way. There was wine tasting and a happy hour each day for guests to meet and enjoy this wonderful property. Our room had a lovely view thanks to two very large sets of windows out to the beautiful street vista. Whilst it was considered one of the smaller rooms, the high ceilings and décor ensured that we did not feel short of space. The location makes access to the major sights and sounds of Rome very accessible if you enjoy walking - it is all there within minutes. We found all of the staff very helpful and professional however we found Franco very willing to go the extra and to recommend restaurants, local sites to see (very often off the normal tourist routes) and even a private tour guide – which was fantastic. Every day Franco had a great recommendation depending on our intentions for the day/evening. It was an absolute pleasure to stay here and very difficult for the next part of our onward journey to settle into a hotel that was less unique and well attended. On our next visit to Rome we would not consider staying anywhere else. This was an amazing start to our trip through Italy.

Room Tip: I doubt there is a bad one
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tmcg2014
Reviewed 8 January 2014

A simply stunning hotel with unique charm similar to staying in a private residence like a miniature stately home.first class staff and very friendly.
Great location.
I usually like to always try somewhere different but when I return
To Rome it will be hard to say anywhere else but here.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Paul K
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This Villa was a splurge for a final couple of nights in Rome and it did not disappoint.
Per another guests comments, I would agree that that is a private house, not a 5 star hotel so if you need 'in your face' service this perhaps would not suit. But to enjoy the beautiful rooms in peace, for us, was a treat. The rooms were stunning, and the gardens (though small) were quiet, relaxing and quaint - a perfect spot for their complimentary evening drinks before dinner.
All the service was very smooth. The recommendations for restaurants were decent (their low end pizza joint was perhaps better than the dinner recommendation!).
My only disappointment was perhaps not staying longer to truly enjoy - we arrived late one PM, and had only one full day there departing very early 2 nights later. It would not be a mistake, given the location, to stay here for 3-4 nights. Lovely and very romantic.

Room Tip: We had a prestige deluxe room - it was lovely!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Amysak
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I read dozens of TripAdvisor reviews of the Villa (and other Rome hotels) before booking my stay there in December 2013, and I can confirm all of the raves.

To fully appreciate this gem, you need to understand in advance that it is more like a private home than a hotel (albeit a private home unlike any other I have stayed in). The hotel staff is unobtrusive in the extreme but appear in an instant when you need them. For example, you may have the breakfast room all to yourself (given the small number of guest rooms/suites), but you need only push a button to summon a server to take your cappuccino order. Likewise, the lovely and elegant library, living room and sitting room, with their comfortable furniture and crackling fires in the fireplaces, bear none of the hallmarks of hotel common areas, and you can lounge undisturbed in any of them or, alternatively, help yourself at the self-serve bar, or summon a server to bring you prosecco, champagne or wine. A small, discreet metal plaque by the front door is the only indication that the lovely building is a hotel, and you must ring the doorbell to be admitted. And don't go expecting any kind of hotel bar scene -- none exists.

The staff, while unobtrusive as I mentioned above, delivers superb and caring service, making each guest feel welcome and secure. They provided great restaurant recommendations and made reservations for me.

The hotel is located near the Palazzo Quirinale and other government buildings, and the immediate neighborhood is otherwise largely residential. But go just a few blocks in almost any direction, and you will find yourself in the heart of Rome's most famous sites -- the Fontana di Trevi, the via Veneto, piazza di Spagna, Patheon, Museo Nazionale Romana, Galleria Colonna, and Galleria Doria-Pamphilj are all a short walk away, and if you enjoy walking in Rome (and I do), there is really no need to take a taxi, bus or metro to reach anyplace in the Centro Storico. I only used public transport to go to the Vatican Museums/St. Peter's and to Trastevere.

My room on the "first" floor or piano nobile (i.e., second floor in the US) was lovely -- a high-ceilinged corner room with a huge bathroom. The neighborhood is quiet, and I slept incredibly well there.

I can only think of one suggestion for improvement (this doesn't even count as a complaint, because I absolutely ADORED the hotel): softer sheets on the beds would be nice. On the same visit to Rome, I spent one night at the Sofitel Villa Borghese, and the bedding there was noticeably more luxurious than the Villa Spalletti-Trivelli's.

The Villa S-T is very pricey, but if you have the means and won't miss having a restaurant and proper hotel bar, this place is worth the splurge. I hope to return!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank JKA40
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Italy, the land of beauty...

I usually travel for bussines and I try to stay in the HOtels close to the city center so I would have a chance to walk around a little bit.

This place was perfect, It met all my needs and beyond.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Alice C
Reviewed 25 December 2013

A truly lovely small hotel. Public rooms are luxurious and comfortable, with many types of excellent liquors available at will. Rooms are large with comfortable beds and very modern baths. The contents of the well stocked mini bar are also free for your enjoyment. Breakfasts are among the best we have had in Europe, with a broad and well chosen set of "typical"options, plus eggs or pancakes cooked to order. Location is super- you are in the center of Rome. The staff are friendly, but seem to have undifferentiated roles. As a result, there is no one who seems to play the knowledgable concierge role that one would expect to find in a hotel of this type. As noted by some other reviewers, restaurant recommendations are particularly weak. There are some very good restaurants not far from the hotel that we found ourselves.When we reported one of our "finds" to the staff they responded " yes, everyone who tries that one seems to love it" - but it seems not to make it on their closed list. They need a concierge who loves to eat to make this a perfect hotel!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eclectic_traveler043
mgr68, Direttore at Villa Spalletti Trivelli, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment.
As stated from most reviews , Villa Spalletti Trivelli is beyond the idea of "hospitality industry philosophy" .. and wish our guests feel "at home "away from home ..this is one of the many reasons why our Front Desk staff have undifferentiated roles …Logically in a small property there cannot be any ridigity of tasks ... Suggestions for restaurants? We do have a selected list of restaurants we feel comfortable with ( with high rating for service and quality of food ) and every good "implementation" is very welcome .
I take advantage of wishing you Season's Greetings!
Kind regards