“The Best, All Around.”

Ranked #10 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Halifax, Canada
“The Best, All Around.”
Reviewed 10 July 2010

Stayed for 3 nights in May, I could say so many wonderful things about this hotel.....

Well, for starters we booked theleast expensive room in the hotel, myself and my husband. The room was excellent, linens high quality, bed of good quality (and I am picky) ac great, bath with shower sep tub, bidet and 2 sinks. Heated towel rack a great plus. Lots of fluffy towels, robes, good bath ameneties, and yes, washcloths -a rarity in Italy. The complimentary mini bar was a nice touch, although we were only interested in the mineral water there was beer, pop, alcohol. Hi gh speed internet worked well. Great lighting. Decor made a bright, cherry room. We heard absolutely no noise at night, windows had thick wooden shutters to block out light and sound. Is there anything I can criticize?.........I need to find something, or I will have found the perfect hotel (which I am sure cannot exist) The only clock was small and on the TV, couldn't see it well from bed and I could not find an alarm on it. I carry my cell phone ( clock and alarm) so it was no bother. You can get a wake up call from front desk. I think none of the Italian hotels I stayed in had an alarm clock.

That was the room. Now, the other ameneties. Breakfast was top notch. Its worth explaining since I read a previous review that felt the breakfast was less than perfect. What a spread. Cappucino, latte etc made to order, just press the bell by the door and an attendant will come to take your order ( if she is not already there greeting you !) Choice of breads and rolls, jams honey. Pasteries and cakes. Incredible yougurt. Cereal and granola. My personal favorites, cheeses and sliced ham and salami. Of course, fresh fruit and juices. There was probably more, too. All served on fine china with real silver. Somehow that makes it taste even better. Oh, did I forget the beatiful sunshine coming through the windows which overlooked the beautiful gardens? Breakfast was served late as well, until 11. That came in really handy when we overslept on our fist (and very jet lagged) morning.

Well, what else can I say....location is in a quiet part of Rome, a real plus as Rome is busy with cars and noisy on the main streets. There are still plenty of places to eat and bank machines etc nearby. The location is indeed central to most Roman sights....which brings me to some advice for getting around. Rome is spread out, it is big and hilly. If you want to walk, get in shape before your trip. The metro stop is still a bit of a walk (10min-maybe more, we walk fast) from hotel, but the metro stops in general are very spread out. I actually used a cab to hotel upon arrival from airport (good service, Roman cabs get my stamp of approval) and upon departure to train station. I feel that one of the best ways to experience a city is on its public transport and by walking, but with limited time I would indeed recommend a cab in Rome for certain trips, to save time and your feet!

We had done our homework so didn't need much help with planning, but any questions we had were expertly answered by the hotel staff, they recommended excellent restaurants for us. In Italy, supper is not before 8pm. Its quite nice, really once you get used to it. You leave our key at the desk when you leave ( a custom we lack here, in North America) Its a nice personal touch. The staff know when you are gone, and housekeeping goes in and cleans your room, like magic its done when you get back. No "do not disturb" sign needed, although there was one available. I really liked the fact that you rang a bell to enter the hotel, I felt very secure because of this feature.

We did not have time to use the spa/exercise facility, as we were busy sight seeing all day, but I am sure it would have been excellent judging from the rest of the hotel.

There were complimentary drinks and snacks before supper hour in the lounge area, alcohol, mix, pop, prosecco........very nice touch. We had a drink and read a bit before going out one evening, very relaxing.

Another helpful tip or 2...there is a travel agency just around the corner. Buy your train ticket there in advance to avoid line ups or impersonal machines at staion. The hotel has only a small sign out front and is on a side street. I gave the cab driver a map I had printed out from the hotel's website and he had a GPS (which yes he was typing into while driving us... I give Roman drivers much credit, I could not drive in Rome) but when he dropped us at the far edge of the hotel, I still think that neither I nor the driver knew exactly where the hotel was. I had remembered a photo onTA with the white steps going up to the park across the street, so when I saw the steps I knew we were at the right spot. Thanks to the TA member for that photo!

Overall, the best there is in Rome, don't stay anywhere else. Downside, the Villa Spalletti Trivelli spoiled me for the rest of my Italy trip, it made my relatively adequate Venice hotel ( where I stayed next) feel like a hand me down....

3 Thank Aparticulartguest

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 1 July 2010

We recently stayed 4 nights at this property at the end of a long trip around Europe. I won't add much to previous glowing reviews, since they are all true. Another 'PERFECT' rating for Villa Spalletti Trivelli. Thank you TripAdvisor and fellow reviewers, since I found this remarkable property through TA.

This place is a splurge by most standards, but as many reviewers have mentioned, once you're there you'll realize everything is more than worth it. I was traveling with my in-laws as well as my own family, so I felt extremely responsible in making the right choice for our hotel in Rome. After careful and thorough research, including contacting TA members who have stayed here, I decided on Villa Spalletti Trivelli. I need not have worried at all. The moment we set foot in the Villa, everybody was awestruck with the place.

It was the perfect 'home' to return to after a full day of sightseeing and experiencing Rome. Although there were other guests during our stay, we felt like we had the place to ourselves most of the time. Service was uniformly impeccable but unobtrusive.

Our rooms were spacious, combined with beautiful high ceilings and luxurious bathrooms. Our family group had 3 rooms, 2 of which were a family suite with 2 separate bed/bathrooms and a spacious sitting room in between, all facing the Villa's garden, which was the perfect place to run around for our 3-year-old. Also, with all the high ceilings and extra large windows, the rooms are bright and airy even with the rich and antique decor. The complimentary and constantly restocked minibar was highly appreciated too (great biscotti!).

If you're looking for a place in Rome within this budget range, I don't think you can do better than this place.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank travelmomABC
Washington, DC
Reviewed 30 June 2010

We could not have found a more perfect place to stay in Rome! This place is just wonderful. The rooms are huge by European standards, and I loved the extra high ceilings. All the interiors are beautifully decorated, and the outside garden is absolutely perfect for a midday break. All the staff there were amazing. So friendly and incredibly helpful. I cannot say enough good things about them!

The breakfasts were great, more food than I could ever asked for, and delicious! I do recommend eating dinner there one night. On our first night there we opted to eat in since we knew we’d be exhausted from the trip over, and the meal was spectacular. They set us up at one of the tables in the garden, and we had the whole area to ourselves. It was just a perfect way to start the vacation, and the dessert they had was probably the most amazing thing I have ever tasted!

The location can’t be beat, we were able to walk to everything! It did take a little bit to walk over to the Vatican, but it was a easy walk and we got to see a lot on the way.

I would definitely recommend this place to anyone staying in Rome. It may be a bit pricey, but it’s well worth the cost!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank dms422
Idaho
Reviewed 31 May 2010

This was the perfect start to our three week vacation in Italy. After a long flight and some jet lag we arrived at Spalletti Trivelli. This is a beautiful hotel in a quiet location and was just what we needed. We spent four nights and found that we could walk to so many of the sights. The location was perfect for us. The room was beautiful with every amenity
and the buffet breakfast was the best we had while in Italy. We enjoyed the outside garden which is a beautiful place to sit with a glass of wine. It was nice to know that our daily stocked refirgerator and the bar in the main area of the hotel were all included in our room rate. It was worth paying a little more to have a wonderful start to our vacation and we would highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank Beverly L
new orleans, la
Reviewed 25 May 2010

A hidden treasure in the heart of Rome. Lovely, elegantly appointed public rooms, soothing formal garden, very nice gym and spa in basement, and nicely decorated rooms with beautiful travertine baths, excellent linens. Very quiet with the exterior shutters and interior shutters closed by staff at night. Beautiful breakfast room with high quality continental breakfast plus ability to order additional items as desired. Mini bar in your room plus assortment of liquors and drinks offered in the public rooms all included. I felt as if I were staying at a private villa; the attention to detail throughout is astounding!
Can't wait to go back to Rome and stay at the Villa Spallette Trivelli!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank besNewOrleans
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 23 May 2010

Spent five nights here with spouse. From start to finish one of our best hotel experiences ever. Staff very helpful. Whenever there was an issue it was addressed quickly. Fabulous location - we walked everywhere. The rates are not cheap but if you can afford it are quite reasonable for what you get.

2 Thank dmanders77
Bellingham, WA
Reviewed 15 May 2010

We splurged and stayed 3 nights here on the first stop of a 2 week Italian vacation. It was wonderful. I can't add anything new to some of the great reviews already posted except to say in agreement, "it was worth every penny". The location was perfect, the public rooms and garden were incredible, the breakfast was amazing, the room was very clean and comfortable, and the staff was pleasant and helpful. I will stay here next time I am in Rome and can whole heartedly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple