“We will really come back here”
Review of Matisse B&B

Matisse B&B
Ranked #2,032 of 3,734 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We have just come from this hotel and we are really happy about this choice. Hotel is in the center of Rome, close to Coliseum and Spanish steps. Delicious food, possibility to drink or eat whenever you want. Thank you for making our holidays nicer! :)

Room Tip: I think number 7 is really nice one
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 November 2011

This hotel will make you fall in love with Rome. Tucked away from the noise and bustle of rome, this little gem is situated in the heart of rome, walking distance to everything. Service is great and is fantastic for people who like space without tripping over hotel staff every minute. Rooms are very clean and smoke free. Next time in Rome, I'll stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 October 2011

This is my fourth time to Rome each time it has been fantastic, we have always stayed at Matisse , Roberto has been great extremely helpful and has gone out of his way to make our stay exceptional. Our room was comfortable well air-conditioned , quiet and clean.
I can't imagine going to Rome and not staying at Matisse the location is well placed for walking to all the sites.Thanks again Roberto and I will see you next time

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2011

we had great time here.
good location,pleasant personell,very clean and cousy.
breakfast even beyond our expectations ,especially comparing to the stories of our friends who stayed in other hotels and other hostels.
thanx,Roberto

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alex m
Reviewed 25 July 2011

- Arrived to hotel which was hidden inside a strange building. The owner came out of the building (or who we assumed was the owner) and told us we were checking too late (10pm) and unwillingly took us to another hotel 10 minutes away by taxi.
- Apparently there was a gas leak in the initial building (Via nazionale) and he had to take us elsewhere for the evening
- We found the owner to be not the nicest person in the world.
- Just to use the air conditioner was 10 Euros!
- No Wifi Connection ANYWHERE in the hotel
- Breakfast was down the street in a random cafe.... which only provided one coissant and a tea.
- Overall, would not recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Rome (not worth the price or your time)

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank vanessa242
Reviewed 19 July 2011

The first room we were in was very nice. We had a streetview and we saw a lot of Rome. Matisse shares a big build with a lot of other hotels. Thats why you get a lot of keys for many doors to open before you are finally in you room. Breakfast is very very disapointing. In a small hallways there a 2 tables and the only choice you have is some sweet bread pre-packed. And some yogurt and very old cornflakes. So if you do stay in this hotel, only book for a room and no breakfast. On the mainstreet outside are many nice restaurants were you can eat good food!

After the first night we got a note saying we had to change rooms because the were overbooked. I read about this a lot in other reviews, and so it happend to us too. The owner was very rude to me and he told me that I had to change and if I was not happy I should go somewhere else. He said that he had done enough for us already. (I had asekd for some wine in the room earlier). After my mother also talked to him about the room change he calmed down. We were both shocked about his weard communication to his own guest. A day before we also heard other guests complain about rooms.
I told him that if we did have to change I wanted two singled beds, because I booked to two singles but we got a double.

The room we got was situated in another hotel. Matisse was clearly overbooked again. So we got a small room without a view, but with our twin beds.

On the evening before the last night I paid for the rooms. This was also very weard. He made me pay in cash. And be aware! when you pay dont forget about the extra commisions of 26% for tourists. I didnt know about this, because when you make a booking it doesnt say anything about this on the bill. You have to go to the second page of the booking and there it says so in very small letters.

The breakfast we got on our last morning was even smaller then the onces we had before. Our stay in this hotel was very disappointing. The first room was great, but the staff, breakfast, last room and the view were not nice. I do not reccomend this hotel to anyone. There a many many hotels in this area, so I suggest book somewhere were you get good value for you money!

Room Tip: Read a lot of reviews!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank S K
Reviewed 13 June 2011

... what it is ain't exactly clear. Our stay at the Matisse B&B gave us the distinct feeling that something else is going on behind the scenes. What exactly we can't say. While the infamous Roberto was helpful enough, he also surprised us by asking us to pay in cash -- almost $1000. He also more or less insisted that we stay at his Coliseum rooms, and took us there by taxi, and that whole move was a surprise to us. He spoke vaguely about some business interests he had in Thailand. Hmm. He doesn't live at the Matisse, and can be hard to get hold of, and I wouldn't want to arrive late at night looking for him...
The breakfast part of the B&B is a non-starter. It's so bad we didn't eat it, even for free. You're supposed to scrounge around in the kitchen, making instant coffee and eating wonder-bread croissants. Sometimes the air conditioner worked, sometimes it didn't. Ditto the hot water. The room rates are all over the place.The lamps have no lightbulbs. Overall, it's a very scattered operation and does not give its guests a lot of confidence.
But the Matisse is not terrible. The beds were comfy, the linens clean, the rooms quiet, given how noisy Rome can be. But something's not quite right here. Roberto is obviously not meant for the hospitality business, but is some kind of slick operator...

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple