“Was definitely an incredible experience!!”
Review of Matisse B&B

Matisse B&B
Ranked #1,663 of 3,690 Rome B&B and Inns
Rome, Italy
“Was definitely an incredible experience!!”
Reviewed 14 June 2010

We were backpacking, coming from Spain, and luckily was referred to Matisse's B and B by another hotel that was full for the days we needed. Roberto offered a rate we could not pass up, and we were instantly shocked to see the beautiful accommodations he had to offer. The B and B is beautifully decorated, with roman sculptures and artwork everywhere very tastefully done. It is a quiet and lovely escape from the very busy city. Matisse has a very high standard of cleanliness and consistently made sure there was plenty of food for his guests. I would highly recommend this beautiful bed and breakfast for anyone who is looking for a cultural experience they will never forget. It is no wonder the New York Times chose him as a top B and B establishment.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
wigan
Reviewed 9 May 2010

I've just been reading a few similar reviews relating to our experience in Hotel Matisse and couldn't agree more with the comments relating to the infamous Roberto (Hotel Manager).

Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly American Girl who explained all the 'doos' and 'don'ts' of Rome and we thought we were on to a winner as it seemed like a nice hotel. Whilst booking in, one of the 2 rooms wasn't ready, which wasn't a problem, we left all bags in our room and went out for the afternoon. On our return my mum and dads room was cleaned exept the bathroom, which had a dirty toilet and dirty towels from the previous travellers. Once again, no major issue, we informed the american lady who apologised, the room was cleaned and we carried on with our holiday.

Whilst getting up for breakfast the next day i met the manager Roberto! He proceeded to explain to me that the dirty bathroom from the day before was clean before we arrived and that it was indeed my mum and dad that had left the bathroom in a terrible state! (Basically calling us liars!!) We had a few choice words and left it at that!

The next day, whilst lying in bed having an afternoon nap, Roberto (AKA Basil Fawlty) enters my room and starts talking to me about methods of payments. Although it was nice to be woken up by the hotel manager, i thought that it was maybe something we could have discussed at a more appropriate time. Anyway, he told me that he prefered method of payment by cash!

At the end of the holiday whilst sorting out payment, which i was doing by card instead of cash because Roberto had been rude to us, he informed me that there was an additional 13.32% charge in addition to the booking price!! If i paid by cash it would only be an additioanl 6% charge!! I fortunately had the booking information with me and he couldn't justify or prove the charge and i made the payment via card for the original amount and requested a receipt.

Roberto is not to be trusted. If you are going to stay here make sure you have all the booking information with you and don't fall for the "pay by cash" routine (unless you get a better deal than you were quoted) - It's a scam!!!!

On a lighter note - Rome was ace and we had a great holiday. There's no way anyone could ruin that!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2010wigan
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 21 April 2010

Matisse B&B was a very lovely surprise. My husband and I really enjoyed our stay here. The location was perfect, the owner was very friendly and helpful, and the room was very clean and comfortable. ...Having stayed at various B&Bs throughout Italy, my expectations were pretty low, but Roberto coudln't have been a better host. It truly was a fantastic stay for a great value, and we will definitely return to this B&B.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam
Reviewed 9 April 2010

Stayed for a weekend with my boyfriend. We really liked this place, it was clean, comfy double bed, quite cheap and very central! The owner was friendly without being too much. And it was possible to have breakfast 24H a day!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Sheffield
Reviewed 18 March 2010

The rooms we stayed in weren't so much like a B&B or a hotel, but more like a self-contained self-service apartment (which is how I prefer it). Roberto was friendly and helpful, and left us to our own devices. The rooms were clean and spacious, with a comfortable, firm, bed, plenty of wardrobe and drawer space, and en-suite bathroom with a good, powerful shower. The air-conditioning worked a treat, and the sound-proofed windows were very welcome as Via Nazionale is extremely busy. There was no TV, but that's no bad thing.

The fridge and breakfast area was always well-stocked.with tea and coffee, milk, fruit juice, yoghurts, butter, bread, croissants etc, and (most importantly) there's a bottle opener. I've not stayed anywhere before that offers such ready such access to toast and Nutella, but it's a welcome provision after a hard day of sightseeing, and not having to eat to someone else's timetable makes the whole place feel more like home.

The location is perfect as many of Rome's areas of interest are within a 10 minute walk, and there are loads of places to eat - Est! Est! Est! is just around the corner and I've irritated everybody I know by going on about their Calzone being the best I've ever eaten. It is though - you should try it.

My only criticisms are that there weren't enough chairs in the breakfast area (only 2, but we brought ours through from the rooms as needed, so it wasn't really a problem), and a couple of times there was no hot water for a shower (although this got sorted out same day).

If all the rooms are as good as the ones we stayed in, I would have no hesitations about staying here again, and have already been recommending Matisse to friends. And Calzone.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Sheffield
Reviewed 15 March 2010

We stayed at Matisse for 4 nights and enjoyed it very much. We especially liked the 24 hour breakfast which came in handy after a days sightseeing. The beds are very comfortable and even though we looked on to a main road the double sets of windows meant it was very quiet. Roberto gave us a few tips on where to eat etc which we found very useful. The location on Via Nazionale is excellent! Most major tourist attractions within 10 mins walk. All in all we had a very enjoyable stay and would be very happy to stay there again

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank RootyTootie
Sunnmøre
Reviewed 13 March 2010

My teenage son and I stayed a few days in Rome on our way to Naples. The place is just perfect. Close to the station, good restaurants, very friendly staff, clean, breakfast all day and located in a beautiful building.
Everything is within walking distance, we never used taxis or public transport (except for the football match). I travel a lot. I sleep in expensive hotels a lot. This little gem of a B&B is different. I loved it. Anne, Norway

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family