“Great personal service”
Review of Portrait Roma

Portrait Roma
Ranked #2 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 15 January 2012

When we first arrive at Portrait Suites, we walked halfway down the block before we realized we'd passed it. The tucked away, "hidden" entrance is ideal for exclusivity. Once we did find the hotel, we were greeted by name by the warm and accommodating staff. We got one-on-one personal attention from the very moment we walked in the door and that lasted for our entire stay. The Ferragamo history is intriguing, to say the least. We loved the Ferragamo-inspired decor, from photos to sample shoe pieces. We read Ferragamo's autobiography that was provided in our room and we were truly impressed. We were happy to both take advantage of the discount at the Ferragamo store--as we bought shoes and accessories for the both of us. The rooftop deck was amazing. My wife is a vegan and they happily accommodated her needs during the appertif time each evening. The rooftop deck made the experience so special. The rooms were comfortable and the kitchenette was a great added bonus in the room. We'll definitely be staying here again on our next visit!

• Stayed: November 2011
6  Thank HungryHoneymooners
Portrait_Suites, Rooms Division Manager at Portrait Roma, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

Dear Guest,

i wish to thank you for your review, so detailed and full of positive feelings.

The Portrait Suites Staff is part of the local neighborhood, enabling guests to delve into local experiences. From exploring the nightlife of Rome or simply suggesting you an hidden monumental place, to enjoying afternoon tea on our roof-top, or an exclusive after dinner spirits. We try do do our best to personalize your stay inside our hotel, and enrich your explorations outside of it.
The Lifestyle Team is always at your disposal, 24 hours , as well your personal Ambassador. Our daily target is share our passions with all our guests.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Portrait Suites in the very near future.

Reviewed 5 December 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here in mid-November for 4 days and it was perfect. Excellent location, beautiful room, stunning views across Rome from the terrace and faultless customer service. The staff couldn't have been more attentive and hard-working. Thank you to Francesca, Riccardo and Sarkar for a wonderful stay - if the Ferragamo family are reading this, please reward Francesca with a pair of your lovely shoes and a long holiday!

7  Thank S_R301
Portrait_Suites, Rooms Division Manager at Portrait Roma, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Portrait Suites on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, i know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks.

Reviewed 22 November 2011

We outgrew our B&B phase about twenty years ago, so I was a little worried when I booked us into the 14 room Portrait Suites for my wife's birthday. Fortunately this turned out to the perfect balance of a place that feels like home without the B&B atmosphere of it being someone elses home! With so few rooms the staff is correspondingly small and by the second day you know all of them and they know you. My wife was quite shocked when we stopped by the small reception room one morning to ask about a dinner reservation that evening and she was greeted with "Happy Birthday" (which they'd picked up from her passport). When we returned that evening (from a great restaurant they'd gotten us a reservation at) there was a card and bottle of wine waiting for her, and a short time later one of the staff brought us a bottle of champagne. They also took care of tours and transportation setup so smoothly that it was like having a personal assistant. Your breakfast is either brought to your room or meets you at their rooftop terrace. Breakfast on the terrace is something not to be missed! Overall I'd say this is the first luxury hotel we've stayed in where the service and experience really was worth the extra you pay versus a similar room a typical chain hotel. The rooms themselves are very nice. They are unusually large for a big city, and equipped quite comfortably. I would not change a thing about the Portrait Suites.

9  Thank Hal B

Dear Guest,

I would like to extend my congratulations on your wife's birthday and thank you for choosing to celebrate with us at Portrait Suites Hotel in Rome.

We pride ourselves on creating a wonderful experience for our guests and we thank you for your feedback. I will make sure to share the great comments with the entire team. Your kind recognition will be very well received.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to Portrait Suites once again.

g.vallerotonda@lungranocollection.com

Reviewed 6 November 2011

We stayed at this hotel in the beginning of november. It was excellent and amazing!
The hotel is small and situated on the upper floors of Ferragamo boutique located in a very heart of Rome (the corner of via Condotti and Via Bocca Di Leone).

If you want to feel yourself like at home it's gonna be a good choice! The hotel does not look like a hotel in our tradition understating....but like a residential house...the entrance with a little sign plate "Portrait Suit", the door is always closed so you need to call a bell and a staff will immediately take the stairs down and open it. There is no reception hall and the reception desk situated on the 1-st floor looks like a living room....with table, chairs, TV, a console table with beverages for the guests.

The room was clean and quiet made in classical minimalism style. The bathroom is also spacious and very clean. There was also a little kitchenette in the room....with all necessary equipment: cooktop, kettle, coffeemaker, microwave, dishwasher etc.

But the most excellent place in that hotel is the splendid roof terrace overlooking the Rome...with a fireplace, deck-chairs, tables and a little room where you can choose any beverage you want by your yourself.

Portrait Suites offers free Wi-Fi, garage service, bar, continental breakfast served in the studio/suite or outdoor on the rooftop terrace and much more.

A special thanks to the excellent staff! They really know how to make you feel at home and if you need anything it is like asking a family member. Just a little example: every our trip to Rome we were trying with my husband to book a table at the restaurant "Dall Bolognese" but we were always unlucky to get there. The same situation was at this time...we tried to book it be in advance but failed to do so. However, Lukka (the guy from reception) sorted this problem out within a second and we finally got a table at this restaurant. Thank you, Lukka!

I strongly advise this hotel to everyone! Would definetly stay there again.

6  Thank NathalieMoscow
Portrait_Suites, Rooms Division Manager at Portrait Roma, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience on your last stay. It is always a pleasure to hear such wonderful comments from our guests. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed our rooftop and the service you received from our lifestyle team to book your favorite restaurant .

I will share your nice comments with all the staff.

We appreciate your loyalty to Portrait Suites and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Rome.

Reviewed 5 November 2011

My wife and I and a friend had originally booked the Portrait Suites and then had our travel plans change and we had to cancel. When we were able to make our way to Rome we found that our last minute accommodation was atrocious. I took a chance and went directly to the hotel and the manager provided 2 lovely suites (both upgraded from the original booking) and offered these at the price of our original booking!

Not only were the suites lovely, the rooftop terrace was our starting point each morning and where we ended each evening. Everything about this hotel was excellent. We found the amenities, the decor, the spaciousness and security very comforting but most importantly, the staff at this hotel is superior. They were friendly, helpful and always made us feel welcome.

This was not our first visit to Rome and hopefully will not be our last and we will always stay at the Portrait Suites. This hotel and the staff do everything the way all hotels should and they do it seamlessly. Our thanks to the manager for all of his help.

• Stayed: October 2011
6  Thank Barsus

Dear Guest,

it's always a pleasure for who as me has to take care of all our guests to receive a review like this. Our target is to welcome you upon the arrival and leaving you upon check out with a memorable experience.
Thank you for the time you spent to write this review,

Reviewed 24 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel last weekend. It was selected largely due to very favourable reviews on this website.
I have been fortunate to travel to Rome several times over the last few years. And overall the hotel is stylish, pleasant and has many great features but it is far from perfect. It certainly stacks up very poorly when compared to the Villa Spalletti Trivelli and probably fits in better when compared to the Villa Laetitia owned by the other shoemaker Fendi.
First the suite is poorly designed (isnt Ferragamo all about design?) We were 3 people. The "sitting room" held the second bed. The bathroom was off the bedroom forcing our 3rd person to walk through the bedroom whenever the bathroom was necessary. Not acceptable at this price.
The bed was broken and sagged badly. A plastic frame held slats. The plastic was marred and the slats could not be reinstalled. Attempts to fix this had obviously been made many times as the plastic was badly worn. Just poor quality. We realised this as we were leaving and when we mentioned it on leaving this was greeted with a shrug.
The bathroom was beautiful and mostly functional. My female travelling mates really liked the Ferragamo products offered. But both of them expressed surprise at the very poor quality toilet paper and tissue. A built in cabinet housing the "kitchen" was very well appointed but it had to be wedged shut at night to turn the lights out.
Breakfast is offered by a form which you fill in and and hang on your door at night. The first night we were there the hotel "forgot" to provide this. So no breakfast. Also, we found out when we finally did get this form the second night, anything beyond coffee, juice and a croissant was "extra".
The in room safe swallowed our passports and needed the staff to reopen it. A "design problem" we were told.
The hotel has a great location. Unfortunately Via Codotti is a very busy street and the room, even with shutters/windows closed and drapes drawn, was very noisy.
Others who mentioned that this is their "best hotel experience ever" certainly either had a very different experience than we did or haven't travelled very much.
By far the most important though was the fact that the hotel stole money from us. We booked through a well known online agency (Booking.com). Two nights for three people in a suite. This for about 500 Euros/night. When we arrived the desk guy claimed that our reservation was for 2 people. We unfortunately did not have a hard copy of our reservation with us but after he made some phone calls and lots of whining he agreed to give us a "free upgrade" to a 3 person suite. This was a little bit astonishing to us since this is exactly what we had booked. All seemed fine, other than the previously mentioned issues, until we checked out. My wife was presented with a bill that was fully 300 Euros (30%) more than the rate agreed to in writing at booking. The explanation was "breakfast charges" for a breakfast that we were never served also a "tax" of over 100 Euros. Blah blah. Theft! We've booked dozens of hotel rooms online. Prices include tax and in this case breakfast was specifically included in writing. And we have never had a hotel welch on their agreed on price until last weekend.
Great hotels do not provide surprises.
Stay somewhere else. Or be prepared for a surprise.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
59  Thank DavidJMontreal
Portrait_Suites, Rooms Division Manager at Portrait Roma, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2011

Dear John ,Lois and France,

as you can read in all other reviews posted from our guests , my answers always start thanking them for the time they spent on Tripadvisor leaving honest memories, suggestions and impressions of our hotel.
I’m doing the same today with you, even if for the first time we received a very negative review.

As the Portrait Suites Room Division Manager, first of all, I do apologize for the unfortunate experience you had with us and I really would like to better understand what we missed in our customer care satisfaction.

I had the pleasure to welcome you personally upon your arrival, we doublechecked together your reservation that was made through the GDS for two people at the rate of 530 €, tax not included, and a complimentary breakfast ( the rate is still clearly visable on our website )

Even though it was quite clear that there was an incongruence, since you were three people instead of two, I asked you to show me the confirmation of your reservation made through booking.com, just to understand if it was our fault but you didn’t have with you the confirmation, although booking. com always sends it through your personal email address.

In spite of all this and trusting your word , I went out of my way and, though we were fully booked, I upgraded you for free from a Portrait Studio for two people up to a Deluxe Suite for three people, usually rated at 750,00€, tax not included, with all the complimentary amenities and complimentary breakfast for the third guest. We only charged you 60,00€ per night for the extra bed, prepared in the living room.
In the light of all this we are not feeling thieves, we have only been as professional and fair as we are with all our guests.

Once again, I apologize for the problems occurred during your stay.
I can assure you that we will pay very good attention to your suggestions and will do our best to improve the quality of the toilet paper as well as the complimentary breakfast, served in the suite or up to our roof top, which at the present time consists of different types of breads, croissants, juices, American and espresso coffee, yogurts, cereals, plums, jams and butters. Improvement is our daily effort.

I really wish you will take the time to contact me directly, so that we can speak about your unfortunate stay.

Reviewed 20 October 2011

Owned by the Salvatore Ferragamo family, Portrait Suites is part of the select Lungarno Collection of hotels in Rome and Florence. Located above Ferragamo's men's store along Via Condotti, two blocks from the Spanish Steps, Portrait Suites, like all things Ferragamo, is all about design, style and service with the emphasis on service. The comfortable rooms and public spaces are appointed with vintage Audrey Hepburn photos and Ferragamo shoes and in one instance, a terrific photo of Pope John XXIII throwing snowballs. The bathrooms are all glass, mirrors, and marble with giant bath towels, terry robes and a fantastic shower. The seventh floor terrace, which doubles as a breakfast venue or evening lounge, offers breath taking vistas of Rome. What stands Portrait Suites apart from other pricey hotels, however, is its friendly, personal service. This unique service is neither forced nor insincere. Instead, every employee -- from those working reception (restaurant recommendations, reservations, useful advice, and, if needed, finding an open pharmacy on a Sunday--itself quite an accomplishment -- and delivering much needed over-the-counter medication) to the cleaning staff -- strives to make each guest's visit to Rome special. This was our third stay at Portrait Suites since 2008. See review posted January 10, 2010. Like the previous visits, our stay at Portrait Suites contributed substantially to this four day visit to Rome. Without hesitancy, if I am fortunate to be able to return to Rome, Portrait Suites will be my first choice.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank webvrh
Portrait_Suites, Rooms Division Manager at Portrait Roma, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review. We're very glad to read that we helped you to make your stay a special stay that you'll never forget and I won't hide the fact that it feels particulary good since it's coming from someone who chose us over and over again. As you noted in your review, all the staff try to give its best to make every single thing perfect, this is our goal because this is the way we think things should be. Words like yours show us that we're probably going the right way and they make us want get better and better. We really hope to have you here with us again soon.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if our travel plans will bring you again in Rome,