“Absolute Perfection”

Ranked #2 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Seattle
“Absolute Perfection”
Reviewed 18 April 2012

When my husband and I prepare to travel I wind up spending hours researching hotels, trying to find the perfect place for us to call home on our journey. As usual I found several top-end hotels to explore and, also typically, my husband winced at the thought of paying their rates. When pushed to explain myself regarding my desire to stay in such expensive hotels I paused and said, "for me the hotel sets the tone for the trip." He couldn't argue with that.
We had narrowed it down to two hotels: The Portrait Suites and another near by. There was something in the reviews, pictures, and descriptions of the Portrait Suites that kept pulling me in. I knew it's aesthetics were appealing to me and when the rates of the other hotel went up we booked our reservation at the Portrait Suites and I did a little happy dance.
When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by the on staff manager, given a tour, taken to the terrace, and shown to our room. The decor and amenities in the room were just right. The Portrait Suites is a hotel for today-they provide each room with an iPad that's been loaded with lists of restaurants that the staff has personally been to & they provide a charging station for all of your personal gadgets. Great shower. Comfortable bed. Yummy pillows. Tiny kitchen tucked into a cabinet. The hotel is situated in the center of an exceptionally busy and high-end shopping district 1 block from the base of the Spanish Steps. With the windows shut silence was all we heard.
The next morning we had our first breakfast on the roof top terrace. Wow! Now granted the weather was amazing but the terrace and the views from it were breathtaking. It was a little piece of paradise set amidst an absolutely beautiful backdrop of Rome. The food was great and the service impeccable. We took advantage of the terrace every evening, too-cocktails on the roof before dinner was a great way to cap our day.
We spoke with the manager about our plans for the day and asked for suggestions for dinner. He made some notes and hooked us up with a great neighborhood Trattoria that night. This same scene was played out over the next 4 days and each suggestion hit the mark.
I had expected the hotel and room to be fabulous but I hadn't given much thought to the hotel staff. Without a doubt the entire staff made our stay the exceptional experience that it was. Each and every person that worked at the Portrait Suites was helpful, positive, solicitous yet unobtrusive. I can't thank them enough.
We spent three weeks in Italy and stayed in some amazing hotels. Without a doubt our favorite was the Portrait suites. If you have the chance to stay there do it. You won't be dissapointed.

5 Thank Deb P
GianlucaVallerotonda, Rooms Division Manager at Portrait Roma, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear Guest,

from the June 2006, when we open the Portrait Suites, we were on site with all the Lungarno Collection Team, in attempting to create a new hospitality space, where the needs of all of us, guests and employees, were taking in consideration.

Now, the Portrait Suites is part of the local neighborhood, enabling guests to delve into local experiences. From exploring the nightlife of Rome, to enjoying afternoon tea on our roof-top, we personalize your stay inside our hotel, and enrich your explorations outside of it.
The Lifestyle Team is always at your disposal, 24 hours , as well your personal Ambassador.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future for any assistance you may need to became our repeater guest.

g.vallerotonda@lungarnocollection.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We just returned from our best hotel stay ever at the Portrait Suites in Rome. Upon arriving we were offered a cocktail and were then taken to the rooftop bar for some amazing views of Rome. The staff knew our names immediately upon arrival, and made you feel at home instantly. It really isn't a hotel but a very luxurious apartment house in the center of Rome. Our suite was spacious and very clean with every modern convenience at your finger tips. Unfortunately, we did not book our last night at the Portrait Suites and they were booked up, but they found us room on the same street near the Spanish Steps. We cannot say enough about our stay at the Portrait Suites. Thank you Rada and Franchesca and all of the staff for your help and kindness during our stay in Rome!

Room Tip: They are all good at the Portrait Suites
9 Thank Cort A
Dear Guest,

i wish to thank you on behalf of all the Portrait Suites Team.

We love to share our passion with all our guests, your words on Tripadvisor mean a lot for all of us.

I remain at your disposal, please do not hesitate to contact me directly to plan your future stay with us,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 March 2012

The best hotel in Rome. They know your name upon arrival, and make you feel at home from the second you step foot on the property. The hotel is literally like having your own luxurious apartment building in the center of Rome.
The rooms are impecable. Not only are they clean, the decor is luxurious. Every amenity has been thought of.
The service is unparalleled. There's always someone present when you need them, but never intrusive.
The rooftop is the most amazing place to have your breakfast or evening cocktail.
I'll never stay anywhere else in Rome!

8 Thank Mickey K
GianlucaVallerotonda, Rooms Division Manager at Portrait Roma, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Guest,

We pride ourselves on creating a wonderful experience for our guests and we thank you for your feedback. I will make sure to share the great comments with the entire team. Your kind recognition will be very well received.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to Portrait Suites once again.

new york, ny
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I stayed at Portrait Suites for 6 nights in March. I have never had such a wonderful hotel experience. For me, the hotel was a splurge, but I'm so happy I stayed there because it truly made my stay in Rome marvelous. It's a very small hotel tucked away on a side street by the Spanish Steps. My room was spacious, beautifully decorated and comfortable in every way. The hotel is impeccably maintained and has a feel of luxury and style.

The primary reason for my love of the hotel was the attentive and warm staff under Gianluca, the lovely manager. Francesca and Francesco especially went above and beyond and were just an absolute pleasure to talk to each day. Everyone offered perfect attention to detail, terrific restaurant recommendations, and special suggestions for stops along whatever route I was taking. Honestly, I've never experienced anything like it. I typically keep to myself while traveling, but had no desire to on this trip because everyone was so caring and friendly. This is a very special hotel with a very special staff.

The roof space and the balcony of my room were wonderful escapes. Rome can be very tiring but the outdoor space at the hotel was a sanctuary allowing me to escape the bustle of the city. Perfect for breakfast, a drink, reading - it certainly made my stay more restful and comfortable.

I cannot wait to return to Rome and at Portrait Suites.

Karen

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
11 Thank knny
Dear Karen,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Portrait Suites on TripAdvisor. I would also like to thank you for your loyalty to our hotel. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, and that the service is the best you have ever had. I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Portrait Suites in the very near future.

Gianluca vallerotonda
Kalundborg, Denmark
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We were looking forward to stay at this hotel since I read a lot about it and now I can say that it was one of the best places where I stayed. I travel a lot for work reasons, though this time I was just having a holiday with my husband, and I can say that I've never seen a place with people so attentive to our needs and rooms so well decorated. The hotel is part of the Ferragamo group and you soon realise it once you walk in. You can see amazing pictures and references to Salvatore Ferragamo's life on the walls and even in the rooms. We had big expectations after all we read about this hotel and I can say that they completely met them and actually they went even beyond that. The hotel is in a very central position and is small and cozy with an amazing terrace on the top floor where we had breakfast in the morning. The room was very big and we were absolutely surprised to find an ipad in our room that we could use for the whole stay to browse the internet for free, check the email and also read all the information pamphlets about restaurant suggestions, tours, events and services that the concierge loaded in the device. I could even print our boarding passes with a wifi printer right from my iphone and we also found a sort of universal charger for the phone that works for all different devices (samsung, lg, sony, iphone, etc.). Amazing! If we will come to Rome again, this is where we'll stay!!

9 Thank Lana L
GianlucaVallerotonda, Rooms Division Manager at Portrait Roma, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience on your last stay. It is always a pleasure to hear such wonderful comments from our guests. I’m glad to hear you and your husband enjoyed our IPAD and the service you received from our lifestyle team.

We appreciate your loyalty to Portrait Suites and we certainly looking forward to welcoming you back .

London
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I just came back from a weekend in Rome and stayed at the Portrait suites in the Deluxe Studio. This is a quaint, discreet and personal hotel in a location which is the complete opposite, and it is that combination that instantly gives the Portrait Hotel a huge charm. Our room was beautifully designed, huge space with a separate sitting room and a large bathroom and a beautiful terrace overlooking Via Condotti, the shopping haven of Rome.
I'm sure anyone who is reading this review has already gone through some of the reviews for this hotel, and they are all spot on.
The service is excellent, the rooms beautiful, everything is extremely clean and the food is great.
The asset of this hotel however is the staff. They are attentive, efficient, intelligent and exude charm from the early morning greetings through to the late night farewell. I am struggling to think of a staff that have been this good. Anyway, by all means stay at this place, and book in advance as the small number of rooms might leave you disappointed.
We also came in February where the upstairs terrace, which is breathtaking, was not used to its potential.
Enjoy.
Wassim

9 Thank Il_Wass
Portrait_Suites, Rooms Division Manager at Portrait Roma, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Portrait Suites on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our Lifestyle Team, and that the service is the best you have ever had. I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed at the Portrait Suites on the first week of February. It was an incredible experience and it really lived up to our expectations. This amazing boutique hotel is just a few meters away from the Spanish Steps. Rooms are big and stylish. The staff was always smiling, very attentive and helpful. We were also given a complimentary upgrade (thanks Gianluca!). The concierge service is simply what every hotel should aim to. Brekfast was excellent (thanks Alessia!)

7 Thank Robert D
Dear Guest,
we pride ourselves on creating a wonderful experience for our guests and we thank you for your feedback. I will make sure to share the great comments with Alessia and the entire lifestyle team. Upon availability we always extend to all our guests a complimentary early check in , we undestand how after a long flight is important to have the Suite ready to relax yourself before get ready to enjoy an amazing city like Rome.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to Portrait Suites once again.