“Good location, marginal hotel”
Review of Barcelo Aran Blu

Barcelo Aran Blu
Ranked #414 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
“Good location, marginal hotel”
Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

We booked this after a cruise, and just wanted a clean room close to the airport for an early flight the next day. Booked a back side room as we had seen the ocean for 7 days, and €25 savings. The hotel advertised shuttle service was not available, and a €40 taxi from and a €32 taxi to the airport was our reward. The hotel itself is fairly new, modern and nicely decorated. The location is good, across the street from the beach, there are several restaurants and shops close by. Which is good because the restaurant/bar in the hotel is apparently seasonal. Not open in April. WiFi is available for free in one corner of the lobby only. Good luck. The room on the backside we had faced an apartment building, very close. Could hear conversation from apartments, and barking dogs, all night. Well, at least we could get a nice shower and be refreshed for the long flight home. Wrong. The shower would alternately scald you and then just go ahead and put some nice cold water on your new 1st degree burn for you. I am used to some temperature fluctuations in hotels, it is not uncommon. This was the worst I have seen. One elevator was inoperative. The hair dryer in the room (wired directly to the wall) was inoperative. Unsure of the quality of other hotels in the area, but we will surely try something else next time.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JPetzoldt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2013

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel because they claim to offer shuttle service to the airport. The morning we were leaving, I confirmed with the gentleman at the desk that there would be a shuttle waiting for us, he said there would be. After waiting twenty minutes, I asked the woman at the desk how much longer he would be, she said he was on the way. They both tried many times to get in touch with the driver with no luck. He finally called back to tell them that no one had told him he was needed and wouldn't be coming. I speak Italian fluently and I understood the whole conversation between them. The young woman at the desk then lied and said the driver was in an accident and was running late and suggested we take a taxi, luckily we had a few Euros left. When I confronted her about lying and told her that I speak Italian and understood everything, she was mortified and said she thought it was better to lie then tell me he wasn't coming. Overall was not impressed with this hotel and not to mention we had to ask for another room upon checking in because the first room they gave us had not been cleaned!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CLU77
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2013

We booked the Aran Blu as it was described as an airport hotel on the site we booked it through, it is not.
It is about a 15 minute, 25 euro taxi to the airport, which is fine if you know beforehand.
The town of Ostia is apparently a popular holiday resort for people from Rome, but from our walk around the town it is mainly residential.
If you leave the hotel and turn right to the marina, it is beautiful, lots of shops and lovely restaurants.
As for the hotel, our room, 409, was lovely, immaculate with a stunning sea view.
The staff are very welcoming and helpful.
My only possible complaint would be that there was no English speaking channel on the TV.
If we needed a transit hotel for the airport again, I would definitely book the Aran Blu.

Room Tip: Any room with a sea view will be superb, preferably on floor 3 or 4.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael F
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I booked on line and knowing the Hiltons at Rome airport I wanted to have somewhere close and different,there is a pickup service but do not rely on it,the drive was about 10 minutes from the airport and it was located right across from the Marina and sandy beaches.Of modern construction and with two wings from a central reception,Glass and marble,very clean and tidy and a lovely welcome.My budget room was clean and had all I needed but it was rear facing and with frosted glass,seaview are a little more but were all taken.there is a small and tidy restaurant open for breakfast but otherwise no other in house facilities.The beach access is across the street and plentiful beachfront restaurants via the promenade to the left and the Marina to the right with an out of place but popular Mac Donalds.The hotel staff were charming the rooms clean and bright all good points,I would be happy to stay there again.

My only negative comments are worth paying attention to as I ventured out in the side streets at the back of the hotel,the town was not so much a town but blocks of low cost housing,dirty streets with slogans and grafiti and not such pleasant looks from the locals,hardly anything open,until I had walked back to the seafront and there are some quite good places as long as you stay on the seafront,at night the side streets could be a no go area.The hotel was a breath of fresh air.

Room Tip: Pay the supplement for a seaview,its great looking out to sea................
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank talentpicker
Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Where to start really. The website picture is a bit misleading as the hotel is one room and one corridor thick. If you don't have a sea view (50% of the roms) then you are face to face with the occupants of the apartment 20 feet away on their balcony across the street behind the hotel. We arrived around 8.00pm after a long drive and were looking forward to a meal in the Blu restaurant rather than a late search through the town for a suitable place to eat. The restaurant was busy and noisy but when we asked to book a table we were informed with no apparent awareness of the irony involved that yes it was open but only for the coach party of Italian visitors from Milan.The receptionist had to be further prompted to recommend a nearby restaurant in the marina whose entrance was handily placed just across the street. There was a McDonalds but on closer inspection of the marina there were three other restaurants available. The room was very stylish and very comfortable with a large balcony overlooking the busy street , narrow beach and Marina entrance.The hotel is a long walk from the centre of Ostia which is not really a big disadvantage as theer is little to see there. In fact the Marina was a bit of a saving grace as it is an easy walk from the hotel. It is however rather soul-less. Visit Ostia Antica and only use this place for one night.

Room Tip: Get a sea view on the top floor to keep above the traffic as it is a busy street.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Calderman

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I booked this hotel through Hotwire.com, so didnt know what I would get until booking was completed. We were looking for a more affordable hotel for our last night in Italy due to an early morning flight and therefore were less picky about our usual criterias. Hotel itself looks really nice, modern and clean. Room was small, 2 single beds separated, balcony with chairs and table but...view outside of balcony was far from welcoming. An apartment building less than 100 meters behind the hotel is what you get when you have a back view room. There is a film on the patio door and window that keeps your privacy but I didnt venture outside. Ostia itself is a bit sketch, especially in that area (didnt go in the city center). Internet in the lobby only. 25 Euros cab ride to the airport. All in all, wouldnt pick this one again.

Room Tip: Sea view. Not back view.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Annie L
Oregon
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We had a room booked and prepaid for months ahead of time. When we stepped out of the taxi, a guy on a scooter drove right up on the sidewalk next to me, tried to grab my purse and knocked me down, my head slammed into their planter and knocked it over. The hotel clerks didn't even ask if I was ok, just righted the planter. They then told us, the room wasn't available due to "technical problems", promised to send us to a nicer, sister hotel back in Rome and that they'd pay for our fare to the airport since the 2nd place was so far. The new hotel was horrible and weird and unfriendly and they didn't honor the return to airport taxi which cost us another 48 euros.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank dumoyer2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rome
Hotel La Scaletta
Best Western Hotel I Triangoli
Hotel La Genziana
Hotel La Genziana
#445 of 1,257 in Rome

Been to Barcelo Aran Blu? Share your experiences!