“The good and the not so good”
Review of The Opera Hotel

The Opera Hotel
Ranked #771 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Our 3 night girls getaway started off on the wrong foot. Upon arrival for check in, we were told our room had flooded and they had to send us over to another hotel for our first night. Miraculously, our flooding would be fixed and dried out the very next day? I'm thinking they over booked the hotel and sent us lugging 50 pound suitcases about a quarter of a mile to the hotel commodore.
We returned the 2nd day (again with the luggage) and still no offer to pay got a quick cab ride etc.....Since it was before checkout we had to leave our bags for the day. They just sat in the very small lobby in front of and on the couch. They were still there when we returned after the entire day in Rome, but my friends new Italian handbag, did have a pillow over it for extra security! I will comment that the front desk was manned the entire time, but still seems like our luggage should be locked away.
The room was nice ( and by the way superior to the hotel commodore). Small but overall good for the heart of Rome. Good location close to termini and major sites in Rome. The staff was helpful.
Another odd event, we returned from our day of touring and our room was not cleaned. No fresh towels, beds not made etc. when we asked we were told we should have left our room key at the front desk (no one told us prior) but then it turned out our room door was left wide open all day? Not sure if we didn't get it shut or what went down......we asked for some clean towels and were told no, only the maid who already left could supply them.
There is a nice roof top breakfast area where we took our glass of wine in the evenings to enjoy a night cap al fresco. The breakfast selection is pretty minimal.
If I returned to Rome, I'd probably try to find another hotel. There was good (room, location, friendly staff, and roof top access) and then there was the odd things that happened leaving me with an overall ???

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Colorado626

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Just home from a 3 night stay in this wonderful hotel. I booked this hotel as a surprise for my partner's birthday. She was more than happy with the hotel.The first impressions were lovely.The decor is stunning, full of charm and character. The staff were always friendly and polite. The room was of a very high standard with an amazing shower in the bathroom. Our room came with a balcony so we could get stunning views of the eternal city. All rooms come with A/C which is essential in Rome.

The location was prefect, within walking distance the vast majority of attractions such as the National Museum, the Colosseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps.. Vatican City was just 10 euro in a taxi.Termini train station was just a short distance to walk.

Every morning we enjoyed a continental breakfast on the 5th floor terrace which overlooked the streets of Via Nazionale. It was a wonderful start to our days.

Overall I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone. Great value for money and would return in the future

whatawenderfulworld.com

Room Tip: Request a double room with a balcony. located on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Wendymcg2013
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Very narrow corridors and lift but all interior is to a very high standard. The breakfast was good. Very central in Rome and we could walk to everything we wanted to see.
Would recommend to anyone that wants a nice hotel.
Just remember the tourist tax in Italy is payed extra.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Andri486
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This hotel was right on one of the main roads so within walking distance to many sights...Colosseum, Spanish steps, Roman Forum,etc. We had a room right on the main road and while noisy we loved it! To be able to open the doors and have a great view & watch people, traffic, felt very Italian! The room was small, but clean. The bed was comfortable as well. Staff was friendly and helpful even with language barrier. Breakfast on the terrace on the top floor was a nice addition, Just a very quaint place. As long as you don't mind the smaller space.We are just there to sleep & shower in a clean place. With being in walking distance to everything makes the world of difference.

Room Tip: If you mind the noise ask for a bedroom off the main road. Myself I wouldn't have given up the e...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Loved the style and service of this boutique hotel. Hotel needs some updates. Had problems with plumbing and air conditioner but was given an upgrade right away with no problem. Beautiful breakfast on top floor terrace. Staff very friendly and multilingual. Rates were approximately €90-100 per night which wasn't bad considering last minute booking in the height of tourist season and the location was fabulous, everything within walking distance or taxi ride. Located on a main thoroughfare. Would stay again when in Rome and would recommend to friends.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Me and my adult son stayed here one night when we were watching football. The hotel's location is perfect, close and walking distance to most attractions. However, lies in a busy street in central Rome, try to get a room not facing the street if you want to have the window open.

Otherwise the hotel is quite small, there is no common throughout areas or lobby. The bar and restaurant are also missing but a cozy little breakfast terrace is covered on the roof and there they serve a simple but tasty breakfast. Our room was of average size for being in Rome, in another country I would probably have called it small. The toilet and shower, however, was spacious and decently clean The hugely ill-equipped mini-bar was broken so it did not matter that there were only three bottles in it.

Overall experience is for me an okay hotel for a few nights with a plus for breakfast and location. I think that the price is slightly on the high side for what you get.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I booked this hotel for 3 nights as a female solo traveler. When I got to the hotel a day later than planned I was told "You don't have a reservation." I then showed the concierge the printout of my confirmed reservation and was told "We booked your room for someone else”. She called the manager -who was not on the premise at 4'o clock in the afternoon -asking what to do. She then tried to place the blame on me saying "You should have called " I explained to her that US phones don’t work internationally. I asked her why would my room be booked for someone else if I never called and cancelled this is NOT listed as part of your policy anywhere on your website. I got no answer. I was told "I'm sorry for the inconvenience you won't be charged any fee as it was a booking issue" When I checked my bank statement - I was charged an $188 fee for a hotel that had no room for me when I arrived and that I never stayed in. If you’re looking for a hotel with a reasonable and sound policy stay elsewhere!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo