“Location, location and noise”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Milton Roma
Ranked #300 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Victoria BC
“Location, location and noise”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

spent a week at hotel Milton. Great location, helpful staff and great breakfast. We were given a great room but its situation in the hotel meant that it was at the front corner, just at the junction of 2 main roads. I can confirm that Rome never sleeps!!! Simple double pane windows would help reducing the noise level. Bottom line, great location but ask for a quiet room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank britony
HotelMilton, Direttore at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Milton Roma, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Guest, thank you very much for speaking about our good location, and our helpfull staff! certainly the rooms situated in the itnernal part of the building are very quiet comparing to the other that are closed to the main street....very sorry for the "Rome's traffic". Hope to see you again in our Hotel, Kind Regards, C. Mencarelli-Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My girlfriend and I arrived booked in for three nights at midday and were directed by the friendly receptionist to a pleasant yet small room on the first floor overlooking the busy road junction outside.

We then left straight to the Colosseum and the ruins of the Roman forum (under 10 minutes walk).

So far we were extremely happy with the hotel and service however it was on our first night that we realized the noise level of the junction outside. While I understand that it is not the hotels fault that Roman drivers are rather "horn happy", some sort of extra sound proofing is definitely needed.

That morning we mentioned this to the receptionist who was very understanding and asked to be moved to the rear of the hotel. Upon looking she said that she would only be able to move us there the following day as it was currently at capacity.

While this alternative was better than nothing we were leaving at around 4am on that following morning so it was not really worth moving rooms just for that half a night.

After discussing this with the receptionist we went for our first breakfast of the holiday which can be described as average at best.
While there was nothing wrong with the standard pastries and cereals the cooked portions of the breakfast were Luke-warm and particularly greasy and fatty, the fresh fruit supplied was also of a poor quality.

All that being said however, I cannot fault the location of the hotel.
As said before it is under 10 minutes walk away from the Colosseum and Roman forum and for anything not within walking distance the Manzoni Metro line is quite literally across the road from the hotel enabling you to easily get almost anywhere in the city.

All in all it was a great trip, I would not advise paying too much for this hotel unless you can be guaranteed a room on the rear of the hotel, location and cleanliness wise however it would be hard to beat!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel as the front can be very loud.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelMilton, Direttore at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Milton Roma, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Stephen, thank you for the comment on our Hotel. We are happy that you enjoy the cleaness of our rooms and the strategic position of Milton Hotel... I'm sorry that you haven't changed the room, in order to have one of those quit (in the itnernal part of the building) .... maybe next time! Kind regards, Chiara Mencarelli Hotel Manager
Ca
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Compared to the other hotels in the city of Roma and for the price, the Milton is a 4/5. They have a bar on site and PARKING which was huge for us and our euro trip in a rental car. Front desk staff is helpful, free WiFi which works well, and next door in a shop you can buy a Roma pass. 5 blocks away is the best restaurant in Rome, Vecchia Roma. Also walking distance to the colloseum, forum, etc. Room could have used a little love, but again the price couldn't be beat.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ocean_Palms
Dear Client! Thank you very much for the review above written by you. We always try to do the best and we are happy when our customers notice it and appreciate it. Warm regards, Hotel Manager Chiara Mencarelli
Perth
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We booked this hotel as part of our journey around Europe.
The main reason for booking this was because it is close to Roma Termini (about a 10-15 minute walk), or straight across the road is a Mazoni metro station.
You can also walk to the Colosseum (10 minute walk)

3 of us stayed here and the room was small, but it is like this through out Europe.
We had 2 twin beds and then one rolloway bed for the 3rd person.
The room was clean and the bathroom is a good size, even for Europe standars.
The breakfast is the morining is good, there is many hot and cold options!

Hotel reception is a hit and miss. If you arrive at night or want to deal with anything at night time then Antonio is the guy for you. He speaks perfect English, is funny and helpful and makes you feel very welcome.

We dealt with another lady (blonde hair, think her name was Lisa/Liza?) in the morning and this is where our nightmare began....!!!
We booked our hotel through the hotel website, we received emails confirming etc however upon check out they told us we had not paid. After checking my bank statements I could night find the money had been deducted anywhere so decided to suck it up and pay. However the credit card number they had on the paper for confirmation was not mine, nor did it belong to anyone I was travelling with. She was clearly annoyed and was talking to her colleague in Italian. Little did she know that I speak perfect Italian and am in fact Italian myself but played it dumb. She told her colleague that everyone had pissed her off that morning and would love to shoot us all... which is extremely un professional!!!!!!!!! At this point I am furious and decide to keep acting like I dont understand while she is bad mouthing us and other guests to her colleague, in the end she tells me that when I go home to take it up with the agency I booked through!

We left very annoyed and furious! up until that point we did not have a problem with this hotel!
Now we will be telling everyone to avoid it!

1 Thank Dina A
HotelMilton, Direttore at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Milton Roma, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Mrs. Bernardina, we regret that it is not yet clarified the question of the reservation. Your agency has booked the room from our website with a credit card where we have made ( ​​as our procedure) a "pre-authorization" (ie no withdrawal of money: the bank verifies the card number and blocks the agreed amount for a few weeks). Then you can request a refund to your travel agency that had not payed for you! Finally, we are pleased that you enjoyed the breakfast .... but then we discover that your friends and you ....you have used this service even though the reservation was "ROOM ONLY" (no breakfast included)! Doesn't matter. Kind regards, Chiara Mencarelli- Hotel Manager
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed at the Milton Roma for four nights from the 14th of September this year, we booked this through Last Minute.com as a mystery Hotel, I couldn't actually believe it when we received the email confirmation which revealed the hotel as I had stayed here for business a couple of years previously, I assured my partner it was a clean & comfortable hotel, with a great location right across the road from a tube stop, and a good breakfast, it is also possible to walk to the Colloseum from here,

Unfortunately on check-in my partner was not as impressed as me and did not think it was worth its 4 star status (referring to it more as a Business style Hotel, which it is but also caters for holiday makers as well), I disagree with him, yes the rooms are quite small but we had a double bed (I had emailed the Hotel in advance to make sure this was possible) and an average sized but very clean bathroom,

The room was a little dark though (even on a sunny day) as there were tree's outside which pretty much covered our windows, also due to the nature of the windows (they are above head height) and being on the second floor I couldn't see where we were but we were definitely on the roadside of the busy cross-roads that the Hotel is situated on as we could hear a lot of traffic noise in the evenings/night time and from quite early in the morning (not much chance of a sleep in!) this wasn't too bad but I must admit after 4 nights I had kind of had enough of the noise,

The maids came in everyday to make the beds and replace the towels, great service, one thing we really, really did miss was no facilities to make a hot drink in the morning, maybe this is a British thing but it is a comfort when we first wake to be able to have a cup of tea, I missed that a lot!!! I am not sure if better rooms have this facility or not?

I also need to mention the shower, there seemed to be something very wrong with the tempreture, one minute it would go cool, the next scolding hot which didn't make for a relaxing experience!!! I would have complained but it was only four nights, any longer and we would have asked to move rooms,

I particulary rate the buffet style breakfast at the Milton, there is plenty of choice including some hot items and it is constantly replenished by the pleasant dining room staff, I wouldn't say it was of a very high standard/quality, but its a good start to the day, when the drinks machine stopped working, I only had to ask once and they looked at it right away :-) my partner struggled to make himself a boiled egg (that is what the raw eggs are for on the table) as the machine you sit them in never seemed to have enough water in it, so even after leaving your egg for 10-12 mins it was still quite raw, shame...

The only slight downside to the Hotel is the surrounding area, there is nothing wrong with it at all, but its a shame there isn't many other places to eat, there was only one night when due to the rain we wanted to stay close to the Hotel and there was no choice really within walking distance other than one place where we didn't particulary have a very good meal :-( there are a few cafe bars/take-away places but not many with sit in dining, which I feel would be greatly received/utilised in there was,

All the staff are very friendly at the Milton though and I would definitely stay again due to its location and price :-) we love Rome so we will be back!

Room Tip: If possible I would ask if you are able to have a room that is not on the main road!
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 September 2013

we had a room on the street with a nice view. the location was good and the price was very reasonable. the staff went above and beyond to help us with restaurants, and transportation. i would defintely stay there again.

Room Tip: we had a room on the street with a nice view. the location was good and the price was very reasonab...
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My husband and myself have just returned on Friday 20th September, it was not our first stay in
Rome, this hotel made our trip that much more enjoyable. Anything we asked for it was never any
problem. Antonio is a very pleasant member of staff, we had most dealings with him. That said
everyone else was pleasant. The hotel is spotless and location great. Would definitely return if
we return. We had an early start one morning and a lovely on the go breakfast was left for us. We
give out a thumbs up!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelMilton, Direttore at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Milton Roma, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Guest....our Receptionist Antonio, all the Staff and I, we all thank you for this wonderfull Comment and really hope to see you again at Milton Roma in the future! Warm regards....Chiara Mencarelli (hotel Manager)