“Disappointing”

Ranked #3,172 of 3,622 Rome B&B and Inns
Jerusalem, Israel
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Well, this is not exactly what they're trying to sell you. We reserved this property via venere.com where it's advertised as "bed & breakfast". When the reservation was made I got the e-mail from the hotel with this exact text. "The Spanish Steps Monet doesn’t have the breakfast service, but we place in the minifridge of your room 2 bottles of mineral water (50 cl) and 2 packaged croissants." This was done only for the first two days of our 4-days stay there. The property looks like apartment (3rd floor with no elevator) which was divided into two small rooms, each with WC, shower, LED and air conditioner. The bed was surprisingly good and the location is excellent (3 minutes walk from Spanish Steps, right around the corner from Greco cafe). Honestly, these two are the only advantages of the so-called "B&B". In other words, the only reason to stay there is small budget.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shufru

Families
Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The only positive point about this bed and breakfast facility is its central location. On Via Mario de Fiori 33 you will find yourself surrounded by some of Rome's finest restaurants and bars and only a short walk from the Spanish Steps and also the shops on Via Condotti, Via Frattina and Via del Corso. This was the basis on which my wife and I chose the Bed and Breakfast Monet when we came across it on Expedia. After having formalised the booking online, however, I received a mail from the owner explaining all the disadvantages about the place. The reception is located 1.6 km away, payment has to be made upfront and cash only is accepted. In principle I have no problem with this as the price was low, but I would appreciate if this information was in the advertisement on Expedia instead of being told after the reservation was made. When we arrived at the remote reception for check-in we were told that we had to wait an hour and a half for the key to the room. The staff at the reception was friendly, however, and they explained well how to get to the city centre on foot. The room itself was OK, but the shower could benefit from an upgrade or basic repairs as water was splashing horizontally as well as vertically from the shower head. In order to attract visitors I would strongly encourage the owners to take the comments on the site seriously especially when it comes to providing accurate information upfront and managing the expectations of their customers. On our next visit to Rome my wife and I will probably look for a different place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My partner and I had been travelling all night and had eventually reached Rome in a very tired state. Firstly due to the poor maps given out by late rooms and other search engines we could not find the first hotel so we could check in. When we eventually found it we were practically frog marched across the city only to find that our actual hotel was miles away. When we finally reached the hotel via the metro and walked up 5 flights of stairs the door opened upon the most disgusting dirty room I have ever seen!! The man who we had practically chased across Rome then turned to us and said 'I clean now'!! After a further 40 mins we finally got to rest in our room only to find it was still dirty. We had been left with a dirty top sheet, no toilet paper, dirty towels and the shower still had someone's pubic hair still there!! In the morning we went to complain and we were met with the rude woman at the desk asking us 'well what do you want to do then? Check out?' I said 'no I just want a clean room'!! The arrogant woman said it was our fault as we were early for check in which by the time we got there we were only 15 mins early anyway. This is the second time I've been to Rome and if it wasnt for the fact Rome is beautiful and stunning that horrid room would have ruined our holiday!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Florry81
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed with my partner for 4 nights. We booked this room through laterooms.com, where its states 24 hour check in. We arrived to collect the keys at 13:30, and were told we were early for check in. We were walked to our hotel with our luggage. Arriving at the building my heart sank, the entrance is in between two very busy restaurants then entering into dark narrow corridors,clearly not looked after. We had been travelling since midnight so on arrival at our room we were highly annoyed at having to sit on the stairs and watch our room being cleaned by the gentleman who had walked us across the city. We then entered the room which is just awful, the view was straight out into an apartment across the way.The room was poorly lit (not like the photos), the air con smelled of urine and in July it is definitely needed, the man had just changed the bed and had put a bed topper on that had a big stain on in. we took photos to show reception at the hotel carravaggio. We slept as we were exhausted from travelling, then went to complain the next day, to which the receptionist didn't apologise,she just said it was because we had arrived early as check in was at 2, he finished cleaning our room at 14:40 (24 hour check in right?), and then asked if would like to check out? so basically we could put up with it or leave? Luckily, Rome is an absolutely beautiful city and the room is in a good location, so we just avoided going back to our room except to sleep.This was my first ever trip abroad so i would say go to Rome its just astonishing......just not here, its the only thing to taint a great experience!!!

Room Tip: choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 December 2012

This stay was unfortunately an absolute nightmare. Dont book this accommodation even though the price is low!
Myself and my friend stayed here for one night (thankfully only one night). We booked this property through Venere.com website. Booking confirmation indicated Via Mario De'Fiori, 33 literally 100 meters from the Spanish Steps. Unfortunately when we arrived at this address there was no B&B sign on the door. We eventually discovered that the check-in/key collection is at Hotel Caravaggio on Via Palermo 75 (40 minutes walk from B&B location). When we arrived to the Carravagio Hotel we were asked on arrival to pay €20 deposit for the key (nothing was mentioned in the booking). B&B Monet's building from outside looked nice, however as soon as you entered you got a bit of shock: dirty, narrow, pitiful corridor, messy wires runing around the wals and B&B located on the 3rd floor with no eleveator. The room itself was small with a smell of dump. No proper heating system was present and the air conditiong was broken. As there was no heating and no duves (just regular thin blanket) we slept in our clothes as it was extremely freezing. On top of all this toilet flush was also broken and shower basin blocked. We complaint but nothing was done about it. I complaint at the hotel on check-out (the key had to be returned to Caravaggio Hotel) and to both, hotel and Venere.com agent in writing.
8 days later I received an answer from Venere.com: "Thank you for your feedback of the negative experience in the B&B Monet. We have transmitted your negative experience to the department charge of the renegotiation of the agreement that we have with hotels.Unfortunately, we are not able to solve your problem with the hotel."
I have to say this was my last time I booked any accommodation through this website. I had similar experienced last year with Venere.com and due to their lack of efficency I nearly slept on the street as hotel was fully booked and hotelier said that Venre.com forgot to update their website. Similar answer was received.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone even though the price is low and location very good.

Room Tip: I dont think there are any good rooms in this B&B
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank joannajamie
Reviewed 26 October 2012 via mobile

Ok. You have to collect the key at another hotel,( 1,6 km away. You can walk) and they do not offer roomservice. But the location is the best. The sun waking me up, through the french balcony doors is pure energy. We are a thirty-something couple who often travells abroad, and we really liked this place. Cheap, clean and a bit small, but we loved it.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple