“Would definitely stay here again”
Review of Hotel Stromboli

Hotel Stromboli
Ranked #1,133 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Waterford
“Would definitely stay here again”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I was a little apprehensive having read such negative comments, but figured if the room was clean I could put up with the rest - after all, I only wanted to sleep and shower there. Having spent five nights there (283euro for a single room on Booking.com) I genuinely don't understand the complaints.
The bus from the airport dropped us two minutes from the hotel. The area is bustling due to the proximity to Termini and there are some people sleeping in doorways but they are doing just that - sleeping. Nobody ever approached us or made us feel intimidated. There are plenty of restaurants and shops in the immediate vicinity if you need something in a hurry.
We arrived at 12.10 and were very politely told we'd have to wait 20 mins for the room to be ready - we were shown to the small lounge area and were called right on time. This room had free maps and guide books to keep us occupied. City tax of 2euro per person per night was paid at this point.
We dealt with several different people on reception over the course of the week and not one of them could be described as rude - all were very pleasant.
When I entered the room it was as I anticipated - small - but it was immaculate. The bathroom was entered through a sliding door in the corner and was up two steps, but opened out into a sizeable space and was much bigger than I expected. It looked to be newly decorated and had toliet, sink, bidet and shower. There was handsoap and a sachet of shower gel which I didn't use as I had brought my own. I'm not usually one for dust inspections but before I threw my towel over the shower enclosure door frame I ran my hand along it to see if it was clean - perfect, not so much as a speck of dust.
At check in we were given the TV remote control and a card for the lights and air-conditioning unit - all worked with no problems. The TV stands on a table which also encompasses a luggage rack which fits a large suitcase and a fridge which was great to keep water in. The wardrobe contains a spare pillow and blanket and the safe.
The bed was very comfortable and I slept very well apart from the odd loud conversation in the corridor outside but they didn't last long. The room was on the third floor at the back of the hotel and very quiet, and it was reached by stairs or lift. From the reviews I had envisaged a manually operated crate, but I assure you it's a normal lift - true, take off and landing are a little jolty but it comfortably fits two with cases.
Breakfast was fantastic - an all-you-can-eat buffet from 7-10 comprising bread rolls, croissants (hot and cold, filled and plain), other pastries and slices of tart, cereals, ham, cheese, yogurt, and a machine for coffees and hot water plus a box of various types of tea bags.
All in all I would definitely go back - the location was perfect and the room was excellent. If I were to search for negatives, I would say some of the bedroom door springs could be adjusted as some of them slam shut and not all guests are considerate of that. The window looked out over a back street so I didn't open the shutters - but if you want a view in Rome there are plenty to choose from. The plus side was the silence at night which is more important to me. There was a scratch on the edge of the TV table... Really, it's that difficult to find fault.
Highly recommended, a bargain at that price.

Room Tip: Can't comment on how noisy the front rooms are but my room at the back on the third floor was ve...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank EmmaNihAirt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 6 May 2013

The most terrible hotel ever saw in my life , terrible room smelt bath broken doors awful manager and help desk , I couldn't go to the toilet , no Aircondotion I had a fight with the manager and the word rude doesn't describe it , the room I took was number 205 no Aircondotion , the water was all over the bathroom sink was dropping water all night , plugs out of wall the shower door was broken and there was no shampoo or soap , when I complied he said that is all we can offer we are three star hotel and he told me to wait till morning or go and look for another hotel and it was 10 pm the moment I arrived Rome , I called booking . Com to complaint and the hotel charged me that terrible night with 135 euro and took the city tax for a whole three night I didn't stay only when booking . Com called me and them they agreed to refund only the two nights as I couldn't stay in that horrible hotel and refused to return the money for me unless I sign a paper saying that I am sick and can't stay in a room with no aircondition and then when te manger knew I called booking and complaint he said he changed his mind and not going to refund anything till I collapsed and cried and went looking for another hotel at six am with the budget left till booking.com managed to make him refund te money that was the most terrible experience I passed through being alone a d treated that way please do t even consider going pay more to protect your pride I couldn't find less than one to point

• Stayed May 2013

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 5 May 2013

By virtue of a website search through booking.com, I was enticed to book this hotel for its very affordable price. Reading the review, I felt that I could balance the pros and cons of staying in this hotel. First of all, which I think is the major positive is its location. It literally is a few steps away from Rome Termini station. With the tracks behind you, turn right to exit the station and then at the main road, turn left. It’s a couple of hundred meters away and you won’t miss its façade. So, checking in is a breeze and you are handed a key with a weight attached to it. Just make sure to return it to the reception every time you leave the hotel. So for the negatives, as in life, you get what you paid for. To put it simple, if you would be drunk, this would be the perfect hotel to stay in.
• Elevator fits two with luggage and the mechanism is sure to jolt you into sobriety
• Room is very basic with stained walls and upon entrance, you are welcomed with an odor which somehow is ingrained after years of occupation.
• Putting a card key in to activate the lights and airconditioning is deceiving as the ventilation system does not work. It functions only as an on and off switch for the heater. So DO NOT EVER GO HERE DURING SUMMER months. As I complained to the front desk, I was met with denial and persistent assurances of putting the thermostat down. But alas, the thermostat is just a mere wall décor. Staff was not in any way helpful and obviously as they kept denying the issue – this is obviously a persistent complaint.
• Opening the windows is a temporary solution but this is met with a caveat of noise of cars and people merrymaking from establishments beside the hotel. So it won’t be a problem if you’re too drunk to even care about noise.
• The bed is what we might describe as having a landscape design. There are hills and valleys and even a canyon in the middle. So your best position would be to lie face down. Lifting the sheets reveals that the double bed I requested is a union of two single beds.
• The bathroom is a piece of internal design faux pas. Pls see picture I posted with this review. Getting into the shower would require a certain amount of body flexibility and contortionism.
• Water pressure is good but the temperature alternates between hot and cold regardless of where you put the handle. So this hotel has real temperature issues.
To end on a slightly positive note, there is breakfast - your basic croissants and cereals with dispensers for juice and coffee. So, I have come full circle and taken advantage of staying close to the Termini train station. My train leaves in 30 minutes but after a 5 minute walk, I was boarding my train on the platform.
Finally – if you are looking for a hotel just to crash in which is near the train station and wouldn’t mind the lack of basic comforts, go ahead and book this hotel. Just don’t say I didn’t warn you.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Philip C
Portland, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Stayed 5 nights in early April 2013. Arrived tired after flight from Australia at about 12.30 pm, but the duty reception lady was kind and polite allowing me the allocated room on 3rd floor facing Via Marsala. The room, linen and bathroom was clean. Room had double-glazed windows that blocked out most of the street noise - remembering that Rome never sleeps!
Reception lady also kindly arranged half-day tour of Tivoli with Appian Line Tours.
Breakfast was fairly sweet, but this is the Italian way; and is adequate to get a guest going for the day; to "break---fast".

The next stay at Hotel Stromboli was very unpleasant for one night; Saturday 27th April 2013. Arriving around mid-day, I was allocated Room 206, a back 2nd floor room that is best described as a cell. There was no space to lay out the travelling case for re-packing for flight to Australia. The TV did not work due to no remote control. The whole room had a run-down shabby appearance, being the worst room in a 3-star hotel I have stayed at in 10 years of 7 trips to Europe over 24 weeks.
The so-called bathroom was cramped with a large washbasin, a toilet and bidet, but no shower, douche. These sanitary fixtures were so crowded, there was hardly enough space to use them as makers designed, especially the oversize washbasin and the bidet with not enough leg clearance.

Asking politely at the reception about the lack of a shower, I was coldly and diffidently told by the male receptionist there was one in the passage somewhere.....

The shower room along the corridor was appallingly small, and included a toilet, bidet, washbasin and a sort-of shower with a pull-around fabric shower curtain. The shower room was poorly drained and water flooded.

It was surprising the hotel had a 3-star rating, unless it be a "self-rating"

As I had been satisfied with the room and reception services in my 1st stay of 5 nights in early April, I was appalled with the room 206, which is grossly overpriced.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Bangkok
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I confirm the reviews that some of the receptionists are rude.
The hotel is old, but if you are lucky like us you can get one of the newly refurbished ones.
The rooms on the street are noisy and the one on the back smell because of the restaurant's kitchen downstairs.
Breakfast is only sweet, but there's a good selection of Italian buns and cakes, a coffee machine and juices.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Kotka, Finland
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I am surprised to read those bad reviews. There were no problems during my stay. The room was clean and there was even a small fridge in the room. Location couldn't be better; the airport bus stopped 20 meters from hotels front door.

I was pleased about the breakfast including the room price, it's extra when travelling on budget. You should remember that eating free breakfast is a possibility, not an obligation. I had definitely nothing to complain. There were fresh pastries (which is not a standard in Italy), juices, cereals and a barista delivering different types of coffees!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jari t
Twickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Location was ok near the station,Noises from streets all the night,WiF £5 a day,Breakfast was basic and terrible, very poor service,Staff very Rude especially the chinese guy at the reception
trying to cheat for tax it should be 2 euro per day per person not more and told me I'd have to pay 3 euros each luggage but the morning receptionist says its free...This hotel was terrible in general

Room Tip: Location was ok near the station,Noises from streets all the night,WiF £5 a day,Breakfast was basic...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family