“Great value for money hotel served by friendly accomodating staff”
Review of Hotel San Pietro

Hotel San Pietro
Ranked #886 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I arrived late passed midnight on a Thursday night and was attended by Carlos at the front desk who was very accomodating in helping me with the bags to my room. The level of hospitality displayed at this hotel took me by surprise, even at that hour of the night. The room was very small, but fairly decent with a nice clean bathroom, television, cupboard, table, chair and a nice hard bed. Breakfast is very humble and basic, but nevertheless fresh and clean. The coffee served with milk, honestly, is one of the best I have had in Rome! From the hotel, it's only a 15 minute relaxing stroll to St Peters Square at the Vatican. From there, one can walk across St Peters Square to the main street from which there are more than six hop-on hop-off city tour buses to choose from, and would make an ideal base for anyone wishing to explore Rome. The security from St Peters Square to the San Pietro Hotel, whether walking at the early hours of the morning or even the late hours of the evening is very safe and peaceful. For dining, there isn't any restaurant within the hotel itself, but just outside the hotel there is this very decent Italian Restaurant which serves very decent Italian food and great tiramisu. Or one can even opt to walk right along the main street, across the metro station and there are more choices, including even an Indian and Chinese restaurant and numerous souvenir shops nearby. At the corner of the street to the right of the hotel, one can find a bank with international ATM facilities, just incase. All in, this makes for a great value for money hotel that is served by some very friendly and accomodating staff. I stayed in hotel for six nights from 22nd to 27th March, 2012 and will certainly return should I revisit Rome again!

Room Tip: As the hotel is located on the street behind the Vatican, it is generally quiet as the evening passe...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Gopi2225

Reviewed 12 April 2012

The hotel was small, clean with excellent friendly staff. All of them!

And the best part of it is that the hotel is conveniently located just a stone's throw (5 minutes walk) to the Vatican. And about 2 minutes walk to San Pietro Train Station. And with 2 busstops close by, hat more could you ask for?

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Dafe C
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I spent ten days in this hotel this month. Hotel rooms and baths were clean and comfortable. Rooms were shielded from street noise by double doors to the balcony. The location is close to St. Peters, but also close to an excellent restaurant and a cafe. There is also a daily local street market which the Romans use about a block away.
The staff was outstanding. A friend traveling with me became injured and was confined to the room for several days, ultimately going to the hospital there. They provided assistance in every way, cheerfully going far beyond expectations.
I will stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nora D
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Great location!!!!

Hotel is very close to the Vatican City 5 minutes walking), Chaffour Express Super Market (Exiting to the left, just a couple feet walking), and is in front of the bus stop. They do not have an elevator, but a lady of the hotel brought our luggage to our room. The same happened when we left the hotel. We voluntary gave a tip. I did not like they changed the sheets when asked the first time. I guess they do it every four days and seemed did not change the blanket for the whole stay of 18 days. The bathroom floor seemed to be cleaned every third day. They did not leave enough shampoos and had to ask most of the time for shampoos for all of us (4). Rooms do not have fridges and they were nice and gave us ice when asked. Breakfast buffet is good, but exactly the same food every single day turned it to hate it. Staff very helpful and nice, two spoke English and one Spanish fluently. Bad experience when the receptionist S called an unauthorized taxi cab to take us to the airport. He didn’t have a taxi meter and a permit, He overcharged us for taking us to the airport. When confronted over the phone, she was loud and not polite. I think hotels in Europe are much over paid compared to the U.S.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street side are very noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Susana G
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I hate to admit, but I'm and AC snob. My husband booked this hotel for us and my requirement was AC and clean. This hotel claims to have AC. When we checked in the hotel was hot and stuffy. The person behind the counter was sweaty and fanning himself. He told us most of Europe, trys to conserve and turn on the AC in the afternoon for sleeping at night. If that's the case I don't understand why they have controls in each room because they don't work, not even at night. We were miserable trying to sleep. Our room was on a busy street and we tried to open the windows but there was a lot of noise. The shower was very small and the towels were more like curtains than actual towels. Bring your own if you can. The pluses of this hotel were that the staff were very friendly, it's clean, close to the bus line, Vatican City and many restuarants. Even though we parked on the street there's a parking garage close by. I would recommend visiting in the cooler months. If the price is below 100 Euro it's for a reason.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mforbes21
Reviewed 2 August 2009

Nice 5 minute walk away from the Vatican. Hotel is initially hard to spot as its not at street level, its behind a large gate that you must be buzzed into. Look for a sign on the opposite side of the road that points right at it.

Hotel itself is spotless, recently refurbished. Air conditioning works brilliantly. So nice to come back to a chilly room after a day in 30 degree heat. Beds are very comfortable. No ensuite rooms. Showers have powerful piping hot water.
Breakfast area is basically the reception area of the hotel! No buffet. Only about 6 tables. If all guests arrive at the same time in the morning there is quite a crush. Breakfast consists of pastries, OJ, Tea/Coffee. Friendly man at the desk has just enough english to compensate for people with absolutely no Italian.

• Stayed: May 2009
4  Thank Spartan68
Reviewed 26 April 2009

Me and my husband travel to Rome from Milan with our friend and her partner to celebrate New Year. Given the busy holiday season in Europe and considering we will be in Rome for New Year eve, finding this hotel is such a relief..we booked a quattro room which we found to be very small (maybe its the standard in europe) for 185 euro per nite, but then again Rome has the most expensive rate when it came to accomodation. Its a short walking distance to Vatican city, but there were really no clue or whatsoever on how to get to the Vatican from the hotel, as our free map didn't cover this area :')

The hotel occupied only the 3rd floor of a building, maybe its common in Europe (?) the elevator so small it couldnt fit the four of us with a luggage, but later I found out that this is what they have in most apartment/flat in Italy.

Overall, I would say this hotel would be good for people on pilgrimage to Vatican city but not for city explorer.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends