“acceptable”

Ranked #3,049 of 3,692 Rome B&B and Inns
Maryland
“acceptable”
Reviewed 24 June 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel for a fairly last-minute trip to Rome, so we did not have a lot of options. Upon arrival, like many others have noted, we were told that we would need to pay in cash, even though they had a credit card sign and online it said they took credit cards. However, when we said we didn't have enough cash, we were told we could pay later in the stay. However, when that guy was away one day and there was a woman at reception, she let us pay by credit card with no problem.

The air conditioning in the room worked very well, which was great, since it was extremely hot during our stay. There was also a mini-fridge and a tiny television, which we couldn't figure out, so we didn't really bother with it.

The location was very good, within a few blocks of the train station, but on the far side where it was much less hectic. There were a number of walkable places to eat nearby.

The room itself was clean, but there was some mold on the shower doors. Oddly, some lightbulbs were missing from the room, making it a bit dim, especially in the bathroom.

When we arrived, we asked about wifi and were given a network name and password. As it turned out, there were 2 different networks -- one worked for the most part as long as we sat on the end of the bed by the door, whereas the other one was down for all but the first 5 minutes of our stay. The problem with this is that the network that was working was 5GHz and therefore we could not connect to it with our iPhone. We talked to the front desk guy the other network quite a bit, but we kept getting the run around -- he told us that the problem was with the phone, that all of the internet was down, so it wasn't their fault, etc. This annoyed me a bit, as clearly none of these excuses were true. It would have been nice if there was someone there who could have just looked into the problem, restarted the correct router, etc., but oh well, we survived.

Breakfast was also a bit odd. Coffee, juice, and a croissant were brought to the room in the morning, but you could not choose the time. This meant that every morning they'd knock on your door just after 8am, whether or not you wanted to be up then! This would probably be fine for most people, but we were at the end of quite a long trip and didn't like being forced to get up and answer the door so early!

If I could not find a better deal, I would be fine with staying here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kak80

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
Reviewed 2 May 2012

First the good stuff:
The Palma Residences location where we stayed (there are three locations) was only 5/10mins walk from the main Termini train station and there was a subway station even closer. There were lots of nice restaurants and snack bars nearby. The room we had was a decent size and very clean with a small fridge and plenty of storage for our clothes, bags etc. The bathroom was very small and had nowhere to store anything but the shower was good pressure and hot and the towels were changed daily. There was a garden area out the front which was nice to sit to relax. The staff were very friendly and helpful. It was great value for being right in the city.
Now for the downsides:
The building wasn't very well insulated so it could be quite noisy with other people coming and going into the hotel and also to the other floors in the building. The bathroom was too small and would be difficult to manouvre around for anyone larger than average. The bathroom was internal with no window and the fan didn't always come on either and a few times there was a 'sewer' type smell which wasn't pleasant. When we booked this, the location seemed to be shown as somewhere else but we had the actual location clarified after we booked. It didn't cause us any problems but the website information could have been clearer.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GlasgowGirl76
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Close to Termini station (5 minutes walk), as usual for the neigborhood this hotel has been established in an apartment house through buying a floor. Reception is 24 hours, friendly and flexible. Rooms are nice and comfortable, no problems.

Room Tip: Choose a room which is looking at the internaly yard
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank istvanmolnar
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Firstly I'll start by saying that I was more than slightly worried having booked this accommodation before reading the trip advisor reviews but can safely say that my experience was great.

I went as part of a stag party and we took four rooms in the hotel, upon booking the rooms you can choose whether to book in the hotel or in the hotel annex. I paid a few euros more for the rooms in the hotel but think its worth it.

The rooms were clean, showers hot and the staff were very accommodating. It was quite clear to us that there was no breakfast which was fine with us given the lovely patisserie a few streets away.

As I said, we were there are a stag do and on that basis we weren't looking for luxury but I'd have no issue staying in this hotel again, you get what you pay for and as we paid about 25 euro a night each you couldn't ask for more. The hotel charged 2 euro for a beer and Stefano the manager was more than helpful, stocking up on extra peroni for us!

I can back up the reviewer who said the double beds were singles pushed together but I'd also say I've stayed in much more expensive hotels where this has also been the case.

Just so your aware we booked through booking.com and had no issues at all.

Room Tip: Be aware that rooms listed as annex are not in the main hotel but are in another building around the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tom A
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Ok, here it goes. We had some troubles with our flight and had to save money in the hotel to compensate. This was very cheap (153 euros for 5 nights + tax). Upon entering the room I couldn't help but notice that from the bathroom came a pungent terrible sewer stench. I stopped to think and noticed that there were no covers on the drains, they were all broken, so they became 2 inch wide direct air connections to the Roman sewer.

Proceeding, they had a kitchen and even though they had disposable plates, they didn't have forks or knives or anything else for that matter. We asked for it on the first night, the hotel manager said they didn't have it anymore and throughout our 5 night stay the situation remained the same, being that they didn't replace the missing items.

The room doesn't have heating and it's a big deal if it's 2 or 5 outside. Even though we kept our windows locked all the time, the room was never warm enough.

What's worse is that when it rains the window let's the water into the room, which made our map that was on the table under the window all wet. But I was lucky because I usually kept my laptop on that table.

Oh, I almost forgot. I wanted to pay for the hotel with my credit card and they have a sign on the door that says they take credit cards, but when you ask to pay with it, they say they only take cash. I didn't want to make a scene of it so I just paid with cash, but I felt that this hotel owner must have something very wrong going on in his head.

The double bed was actually two beds placed together and the room was poorly lit and very small.

Overall: DO NOT STAY ON THIS HOTEL unless you have a SERIOUS NEED TO SAVE MONEY. I would not recommend it to ANYONE.

The good thing? Yes. Location. It is 2 blocks from Termini but there are more than 15 hotels on the same area that seem to be better.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Felipe F

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 16 January 2012

i think it is not a hotel maybe room renting there is a "like" reception desk. but you must to look for to find no sign. hotel stuff is too rude. only nice thing for hotel is situation.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Goksel K
Orpington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We booked one night in Palma Residence through Venere.com and although the latter company have responded to complaints, they waive any responsibility and have not achieved anything with the operator.

Booking was fine, and although it was not easy to get through the property gates (no response to the call bell from reception) when we managed to walk through as others departed, they did let us into the actual buillding , and checked us in. At reception we were told that breakfast was not provided, but the company web site quite specifically states that 'Italian breakfast' was included. Venere state that unless it is stated on their booking confirmation, then it is not included - pity they do not make that clear as how can a B&B be that if both aspects are not part of the deal?

We were shown our room in another building within the complex, up a somewhat rickety lift. The accomodation was clean and tidy, if a little basic. We washed (everything fine - but see later) and went straight out into the city, returning late evening but having been given no information or instructions other than the use of various keys.

My partner showered but said the water was not very hot, and went to bed exhausted. I tried to do the same, but had no hot water. Having semi showered and removed all shampoo from my hair in very cold water, I retired in the hope that all would be ok again in the morning - I was not going to get dressed again to go to reception as it was some distance away and there was not phone or other method to make contact. Unfortunately, we both woke up cold in the middle of the night but there were no extra blankets or other bedding and the only source was an air conditioner that we had not idea how to work or even if it produced any heat.

On rising we discovered that the water was still unheated, but needing to ctatch a train we did the best we could and knowing that we needed the set of keys to get out of the grounds let ourselves out with the suitcases, but held the gate open so I could return the keys to reception. No response from reception on the intercom at the front door (supposed to be 24hours) so I could neither complain about the water nor give them the keys. I therefore hid them in the door frame and subsequently emailed the company explaining what I had done.

On returning home I contacted Venere and Palma Residences, having checked the web site for all the facts - and noticed a previous feedback about lack of hot water.

Despite about ten emails to Palma they have never responded, although venere did forward an answer that there was no problem with the hot water!

There were a few other unsatisfactory elements of the property which pale into insignificance of the water problem, they are there as advertised, but of little use - such as TV, room safe, free wi-fi etc all of which would be great if they worked and/or had instructions.

Pity as it was so convenient and it was clean/tidy.

Room Tip: Ask about position or check before accepting
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple