“Good value for money!”
Review of Palma Residence

Palma Residence
Ranked #3,073 of 3,709 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I have to say that due to the negative reviews here, I almost cancelled our reservation at Palma Residence. Nevertheless due to the good price in great location, we gave it a try.

We paid 55 euros per night for double room - due to this price I was expecting a better hostel with private bathroom and thats what I got. The room was clean (daily cleaning service and every day new towels given), bathroom was very small (2 people cant fit in) but clean even with soap and shampoo provided, enough hot water. The room has TV with many channels, wifi was strong and free (we were located right next to it ;)) There is a microwave in the hallway you can use. And there is a small fridge in the room. Also there is a safety box in the closet but ours didnt seem to work, but we werent interested in using it anyway. The only big negative I can think of is the noise from other rooms and bathrooms you hear due to very thin walls; we even heard conversations from the reception when in bed.

We had no problems at the reception, they were friendly and when needed helpful. Free map of Rome is provided.

The breakfast at the nearby cafe was also very nice. Yes only coffee of your choice and sweet pastry of your choice but that is typical in Italy - and if you want you can always buy more. Service was nice and professional.

For someone who is expecting a 3 or 4* type of hotel - you will be disappointed, but for us looking for a cheap place in the center (it is in a good safe location - between metro stops Termini and Castro Pretorio) it was fine. We were located in Via Varese.

Be aware that during your payment you will be charged extra tax money - we paid 12 euros. I came across this in Italy so wasnt surprised. Also we had to pay at the beginning, not at the end of our stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank L K
There are newer reviews for Palma Residence

Reviewed 27 February 2014

This 'hotel' is like staying in your own authentic flat in Rome. Albeit with all modern beds,wardrobes and bathroom. (Plus fantastic power shower)
It has working original shutters, stumpy chunky radiator, and the hall and staircase is all quality marble.
The room that we were given was big enough.
The bed was good ,the wardrobe big,
The room had bedside cabinets and a working fridge inbuilt, a TV and a safe, at no extra charge.
WI-Fi which was very convenient and free. Also a working lift to rooms.
The reception manned by a lovely chap Steven, who could not have been more helpful.
This was a budget hotel, ie under 25 eoros per person per night, however, not only was the room comfortable, clean and well equiped, the security gates were inpenetrable and the room service, cleaning and towel replacement fantastic.
We went to Rome to watch Scotland play Italy at Rugby, and unexpectedlyand happily Scotland won!!
Breakfast was included in this rediculously low price, and consisted of a ticket which you took to a local cafe, and exchanged for a croissant or sticky bun and a coffee. Great for an extra!!
However the cafe segregated those taking up this option, and sat them in a small area at the door of the cafe and ignored them for long stretches of time while they either served paying customers, or sent out for croissants which had run out. (Rik's Cafe)
We ended up going elsewhere for breakfast, and returning later for a quick extra coffee & bun mid morning. This worked well and saved a bit of money.

Room Tip: The rooms are converted apartments so you are in effect sharing a flat with three other room occupan...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Only one thing was normal there and it was a location, the rest was just a nightmare, a huge nightmare. I would never suggest this terrible place to anyone. Better to be homeless than to stay at this hotel.
During our stay there the things got even worse reaching an unbelievable level. We will start with the things that the room is missing and what we were lied about in their ad on your page. 1. The room is not heated 2. The bathroom floor is always wet because of the shower and sink drain in which water does not flow. 3. The bathroom does not look like in their ad, it is disgusting and the shower is broken. It does not close its doors, so they tried to improvise using a curtain. 4. The room does not look like in the pictures, it has dirty walls and the walls of the entire hotel are paper thin. 5. The reception service is not open 24 hours, because the receptionist is sleeping all the nights. Finally, the most disturbing if not even dangerous, is the way the receptionist is treating the costumers. He is not only completely unprofessional he is also dangerous by being very aggressive verbally and physically. He started treating us in a totally unprofessional way since the first encounter but the aspect I am going to stop and write about exceed the unprofessional level and are completely not healthy for any human, most of all an employee during his job at his work place. My friend was cursed and threatened by the receptionist on two different occasions. He is a dangerous person that we have had the bad luck of encountering; a person that is in the hotel with the purpose of helping us, the help for which we pay for. First, he had this attitude when my friend tried to film the gate of the hotel entrance with the purpose of demonstrating that he locked us outside the hotel while he was sleeping. He came to him and started screaming and cursing him because he has woke him up from his sleep. The other time was during the checked out, when we gave him back the keys. He started to be very violent verbally and physically threatening us that he is going to beat up my friend and even tried to throw something at us.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Nina K
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I have stayed at Palma Residance for 6 nights (12 - 16) in february 2014 with a friend in the residence they have on Via Varese no.5 and it was the worst experience! The information they offer on is a total lie. You have to know the following before you book a room at this hotel :
1. The room is not heated.
2. The bathroom floor is always wet because of the shower and sink drain is not working.
3.The bathroom does not look like in their photos, it is disgusting and the shower in broke it does not close its doors.
4. the rooms have dirty walls and do not look like in the photos.
5. The reception in not open 24 hours , the receptionist is very rood and he is sleeping all the time and doesn't want to be bothered.
6. The internet does not work!
But the most important concern is the attitude of the of the receptionist!!!!!!!! I have made a complain about him and this hotel to the booking site and also directly to their hotels but they dont care, the hotel replied lying and not even apologizing.
This guy that is always at the reception has cursed an threatened me on several time he is a dangerous and sick person and the managers for the hotel do not care about their costumers!!!!!!!!!When the guy found out that i made a complaint he got extremely violent and i was afraid to go in or out! and This guy has ruined my vacation!!!!! He never wants to be bothered and if he does you can expect the worse from him even physical violence!!!! I will continue to complain about this hotel till somebody erases this hotel from the booking sites or at least change their information and fire that crazy receptionist.
In the meantime stay away from this hotel people, I don't want for anybody to have the same experience as me and my friend did!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Silviu P
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I have traveled 4 weeks around northern Italy December 2013 and my last 4 nights were to be spent in Rome. According to Agoda the room that I booked was at an extension. I needed a place to stay not more than 10 minutes walk from Termini as I was pulling my luggage of 20 kilos. Upon check in (10 minutes walk) at Via Verese, I was told by reception that my room was located at Castro Pretorio which was 5 minutes walk away. Reception insisted that the extension was 100 meters away and I said I know what is one meter from 100 meters and Castro Pretorio is 2 blocks away. I know my way around Rome as this was my 10th visit. Again reception said it is 5 minutes walk and I insisted it is 10 minutes walk away. I even challenged the guy to a wager of 100 euros that we measure the distance and the time so he just kept quiet (I always bring my mini meter stick when I travel). I said to the receptionist that what they advertised online was false and misleading and I said that he should apologise for this inconvenience - he did not.
Anyway, the actual room that I stayed in at Castro Pretorio was located in a cluster of 2 big apartment buildings. I stayed at Building B at the 4th floor. For a B&B (this is not a hotel), the room was big with an ensuite. The fridge and television worked including the aircond/heater. Although the building was in front of the main road, it was very quiet and private.
By the way, although the room rate came with breakfast, I did not bother to because breakfast of croissant and coffee was served at Rick's Cafe 3 blocks away. I bought my own breakfast supply at Conads (Termini branch) and had orange juice, bread, cheese, and ham and kept them in the fridge of the B&B - this was better than croissant and coffee.
Had I known that the actual room was 20 minutes walk away from Termini during the time of booking, then I would be happy because I was after the room itself - big with ensuite, comfy bed, quiet and private. But I was misled and reception was really annoying and refused to apologise. I do not recommend the Palma Residence.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. Reception is very, very rude.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank juanmanuelrodriguez
Reviewed 24 September 2013

What you read and see on this website is not necessarily what you get.
I spent three nights there only because for someone who is first time in Rome it seemed like a waste of time to look for another place.
The mismatch between the information on the website was obvious immediately upon arrival - the entire building was covered in scaffolding. The reception - which, by the way is not even a proper reception - was hard to find. The room was not ready at 1 pm but quite after 2 pm, and there was no apology for that from the grumpy receptionist. The way to the room was through long, dingy, locked corridors. Once we found the room it still was not quite ready and I had to wait another 20 min. The window was looking into a light well. The room looked rather inferior compared to the pictures of the website.
In sum, neither the exterior nor the interior of this 'hotel' match the photos on the website. This is a classic case of false advertising.
But the real disappointment happened at the end. When I listed the full complaint to the admin person who was handling my payment (via web, with credit card), she rejected the claim that photos misrepresent the actual place. She also claimed that the staff was not aware that I was not happy (I did ask for another room and I did voie my disatisafction that the room was not ready on time). I suggested she offers me a discount on the orginal bill - she rejected that too. In the end I paid the full sum - 180 euro for three nights.
I my opinion, that is at least 50% over what that place was actually worth.
Do not go there.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Dusko44
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The Palma Residence was a great place to stay for a few nights in Rome on a budget. It was very clean and had a nice ensuite, plus a fridge to keep snacks cold. For the price it was great. It was a bit confusing to find - both the main building and then the one where our room was located. Some detailed instructions from the hotel on how to get in would be really helpful. Overall it's a good location and very close to the station.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple