“Pleasant stay”

Ranked #85 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Sweden
“Pleasant stay”
Reviewed 26 April 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed three nights and celebrated a landmark birthday. Staff very attentive but never obtrusive. Clean room, quiet location with pleasant courtyard in the middle of Trastevere - an area with real shops selling local products.

Generous breakfasts. Pleasant birthday treat from staff. Poor wi-fi reception during our stay, not sure if it was due to vaulted brick walls in our room or unstable Internet service in Trastevere as the front desk also had sluggish reception.
All in all a pleasant stay at the Clarisse.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank kingstonbay
RelaisLeClarisse, Responsabile reception at Relais Le Clarisse in Trastevere, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear Guests,
I would like, first of all, to deeply thank you for taking the time to share such a kind review about our Relais, services and Staff.
We are always flattered when our Guests choose us amoung the thousands Hotels in Rome, especially when it is on an occasion such as an important birthday. So we are glad you appreciated our manners.

I clearly remember the days you have been our Guests and I must confirm we did have some troubles with wi-fi connection in both buildings. Luckily enough though, we have solved them now, so when at Le Clarisse next time, we promise there will be no other shadows on your pleasant stay!

Hoping to welcome you again anytime soon,
Le Clarisse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Finnish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 6 March 2012

we stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in rome and it was absolutely fantastic!
the location of trestavera is perfect, close enough so you can see everything on foot but not to close that it is noisy. the breakfast is very very good including lots of fruit, cheeses, cold meats and pastries.
the room is very clean and the bathroom nice and modern.
the most important feature of this hotel is the amazing staff. especially the lovely lady from the breakfast room who will take care of your every need.
when we come back to rome we will definitely stay at this hotel again.
great place and loved every minute of our stay

Room Tip: we stayed in the new wing of the hotel. very nice rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
RelaisLeClarisse, Responsabile reception at Relais Le Clarisse in Trastevere, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Guests,
thank you so much for this nice review of your stay with us at Relais Le Clarisse.
We are so glad you truly appreciated the whole package: our breakfast, rooms, location and Staff: it is our care and pleasure to help our Guests feel welcomed and when we have such kind feedbaks we feel like we have reached our goal.

See you next time in Rome then!

Surfing in Derbyshire
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The main plus of the Relais Le Clarisse Hotel in Rome is that it is close to everything. It is in the TRavistere area which is full of good restaurants and bars; it is 5 minute walk for the rivewr and the Vatican, the Sistine Chapel and the Colesseum are all withiung walking distance.

The second plus is the friendliness of the staff. It is a happy hotel; the staff get on well and this shows. We met the owner and she did all she could to please us.

Couple of minor criticisms. One, the breakfast needs a little variety - I think I shall give cold, hard boiled eggs a miss for a while. Two, there was lack of information about appliances in our room - how to work the air conditioner/ heater, how to use the safe. We wasted quite a bit of time trying to work these out and got a little bit irritable.

But, all in all, a good hotel, fair price and close to reverything

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Silversurfer61
RelaisLeClarisse, Responsabile reception at Relais Le Clarisse in Trastevere, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Guests,
we deeply thank you for the time you have spent in sharing your sincere opinions with other travelers.

We truly believe that, while a good location such as ours is objectively a major plus, it is other things making the difference in the overall pleasantness of our Guests' stay. In fact, while the beautiful and characteristic area we are located in does not represent a direct merit or responsibility, other things such as the attentiveness and friendliness of our Staff is our precise choice and care.

We regret that you did not fully appreciate the variety of our breakfast: even if meeting all different tastes is impossible, we try to do our best in offering different types of pastries, cakes, hot and cold drinks, juices, cereals, yoghurts, many kinds of cheeses, hams and meats, etc.
Same goes for the doubts you had about the room's appliances shown you during check-in: any question or request is always more than welcome.

If you will give us the chance to be our most welcomed Guests again in the future, please do not hesitate in expressing your doubts or wishes to our Staff, who, as you kindly noticed, are more than willing to help you make your stay in Rome an unforgettable one.

Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We booked the hotel as it was in the area we really wanted to stay in and we liked the look from the pictures. From our arrival, the staff were really friendly, Gloria particularly, and nothing was too much trouble. Rome had had snow for the first time in about 25 years, and the heating in our room in this former convent couldn't cope!! However, this was quickly remedied by Gloria giving us the heater from the reception area, and a brand new radiator being installed the following day. It still needed tweaking but Gloria again parted with her heater! We stayed in a garden room, which was big with a fab shower - the courtyard would be a lovely place to sit on a summer's evening (but not in -5 in Feb!!). Breakfast was also lovely with a wide choice - much wider than other Italian hotels that we've stayed in - and again the staff (Cristina) were lovely too. I'd recommend the hotel, plus the location is really good - 1 min from a tram stop and bus stops which makes getting around really easy, and loads of good trattorie nearby.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
RelaisLeClarisse, Responsabile reception at Relais Le Clarisse in Trastevere, responded to this review, 19 February 2012
Dear Guests,
we are sincerely glad that you enjoyed your stay at Relais Le Clarisse so much and we are deeply grateful for the time you spent in sharing such an opinion with other travellers.

I also personally thank you for the kind words spent towards the Staff: it is always a great pleasure when we receive affectionate feedbacks such as yours.

I hope you have had the chance to take some pictures of the Eternal City under the snow, it is such an event here that you can proudly state: "I was there!" :-)

Next time you will have the chance to enjoy our private garden under the bright sun Rome is famous for worldwide. We will be happy to welcome you again as our most welcomed Guests.

New Hampshire
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We were fortunate to find this hotel after much research on TA and Fodors and spent 14 wonderful nights making it our base in Rome which worked out perfectly. You can see from our map that we travel quite a bit and love Italy. This year we wanted to explore Rome with ample time and staying in Trastevere which is this wonderful residential neighborhood was the best choice of all.

Le Clarisse is a wonderful hideaway in a bustling city. It is a boutique hotel with thirteen or so rooms and quite lovely. The building is an old convent that has been renovated tastefully and in great detail.
It is an oasis once you enter and step into this marvelous patio, quite and peaceful. It is well worth the modest cost and if you want more room rent one of their suites as we did.

The owners and staff of Le Clarisse are first rate and the service is superb. The ladies who own the place come every day to tend to "business" and something is always being upgraded, cleaned and changed. Quite impressive. Gloria, Giancarlo, Alexis and Mariana are the main reception/concierge staff and they are the very best. They are knowledgeable, gracious, courteous with an attitude of "whatever you need we will do" at all times. Cristina and the other gal who are in charge of the breakfast are fabulous!!!! The spread is terrific and every day you look forward to going and chatting with them while enjoying a great meal and a variety of cafes.

We stayed in one of the suites which was spacious and so comfortable. As I read some of the reviews it was hard for me to relate because we were so comfortable in our room and had ample space. The housekeeping staff is also very good and thorough.

This place is boutique hotel offering personalized service which is first rate. If you are looking for something different then do your research and zero in with your choices. We recommend Le Clarisse highly and thank each and everyone of the staff for making our stay in Rome truly magical.

David and Maria Singleton
Hill, NH

Room Tip: Pay a bit more and get a suite
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mapita
RelaisLeClarisse, Responsabile reception at Relais Le Clarisse in Trastevere, responded to this review, 12 February 2012
Dear Guests,
we are deeply grateful for the time you spent in writing your review and for the extremely kind words expressed towards our Relais and the Staff.

I am delighted that you have had the stay you had been wishing for a long time and that you enjoyed our reccomandations. Each and everyone of us has his/her own preferences and views on Rome so we believe we all bring something important into the Guests' experience. We have chosen this job for a reason, and therefore we are so glad this shows when it comes to Guests' satisfaction. We believe in the magic of Rome and we are proud of helping you making the best out of its visit.

It was such a pleasure to have you as our Guests, I truly hope we will be able to host you again anytime soon.

Our warmest regards, from all the Staff and the owners,
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Since I was in Italy on holiday with an intention of experiencing Italian culture, I specifically choose B&B's and not hotels in all but one of the seven places I visited.

Le Clarisse was the first stop on my vacation and I must say that I loved the location and the ambiance and would certainly recommend it as a perfect base to explore Rome!

The positives:
> The room I stayed in - Oleandro, was in the 'new' extension and very clean, neat and quaint.
> The continental breakfast was about the best laid out from all the B&Bs I stayed in during my trip and the lady in charge was very kind and helpful.
> It was a nice experience to live in a more residential neighbourhood of Rome, which was still just a short distance away from the main sights and even the Vatican - rather than be stuck in the touristy areas around the station.
> Public transport - buses and trams to the main sights are close at hand and easy to use. Even my transfer from the airport, which I managed by train and bus, and back to the train station was very easy.
> As a single woman traveller, it did not feel unsafe to be living in this area (a couple of harmless tramps were all I did see).
> Based on my experience in Italy, the price for the quality of accomodation was within a reasonable range (as my Italian friends also assured me).

The not-so-good:
> I had a double room for single use and strangely enough the double bed had two different single matresses - one which was very uncomfortable, but I quickly figured it out and shifted to the other side and had a restful sleep. (Unfortunately, I forgot to mention this to the staff but hopefully the problem can be easily solved).
> Previous reviews have mentioned that street sounds in the 'new' wing are rather loud at night and I would agree however since I am used to living in an urban setting it was not unmanageable for me. If you are a light sleeper - ear plugs would be required.
> The room was extremely comfortable in the summer with an excellent air conditioner but I suspect that the rather rustic door might allow undesirable drafts to enter the room the in the winter.

Also:
> I did see reviews which complained about the fact that you have to carry a bunch of keys around (to ensure that you can enter the property after hours) but for me this was just part of the experience.
> They were unable to facilitate an early check in (and to be fair, did not promise it either) but you can store your luggage and lunch/ brunch at the neighbourhood restaurants/ cafe.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank alekha
RelaisLeClarisse, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Relais Le Clarisse in Trastevere, responded to this review, 18 December 2011
Dear Guest,
first of all, let me express my admiration for your approach
to travels: I really think that trying to get a deep full-immersion in
the foreign country's local culture is the best way to really
understand and appreciate what's underneath the touristy patterns. So
Thank you on the behalf of Roman people!

Secondly, of course, thank you for taking the time to make such an
accurate review of your positive Experience at Relais Le Clarisse,
together with the aspects we should work on.

Unfortunately we are aware of the fact that being on the first/ground
floor facing the street right in the center of a metropolis such as
Rome cannot compare to the quietness of a room facing the private
garden like our Superior rooms or Suites. Each room is provided with
soundproof windows and that is the best we can do about it, I am
afraid.

Luckily enough, as for the concerns about temperatures in winter,
being the building so ancient, it comes with very thick (and therefore
warming) walls, and we also provide two different means of heating.

As for the early check-in, we are very sorry we could not provide it
to you: usually we succeed in doing so, but as you can easily figure
out, it all depends on the time the previous guest decides to leave
his room (before 11:00 am in any case). Then we always have a priority
list for our cleaning service depending on the time of the guests'
arrival.

We really hope you will come to visit us again as our most welcomed
returning Guest.

Warm regards,
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 2 December 2011

This hotel is very sparsely furnished and is definately a NO Frills kind of place. My room was very small and cell like. The twin bed was a mattress on a metal frame - the only thing under the mattress was skinny slats of wood. I was afriad to turn over! I left the hotel after taking a nap! Gloria is a very kind person and the breakfast was very good. That is all the positives I have to say!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
RelaisLeClarisse, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Relais Le Clarisse in Trastevere, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Dear Guest,
thank you, first of all, for noticing the daily effort and
sincere passion our staff puts into trying to make you feel at home.
We are deeply sorry, though, that you did not appreciate our Hotel as
much as many other reviewers did and by the fact that we did not have
the chance and time to show you the
great attentiveness and care we reserve to our Guests.
I can personally assure you, though, that all of our rooms are
perfectly safe, and in many years
of activity, it has never happened that someone turned over from the
bed. All of our rooms (including the Standard ones, and therefore the
one you have taken a nap in), as you can easily read from many
previous reviews here and on other websites, are quite large for
European and, let me say, especially Italian standards. Particularly,
your room also features high vaulted ceilings dating back to XII th
century.

Luckily enough, though, we had the chance to offer you breakfast
upon arrival, we just wish we could have done more during your stay to
prove we deserve the good reputation we have conquered with hard work
and great passion during the years.

We hope we will have the change to welcome you again sometime, every
unsatisfied Guests is a very serious matter to us and we sincerely
thank you for your remarks. They help us improving day by day.

Warm regards,