“A LITTLE " TASTE OF ROME " AWAY FROM OTHER TOURISTS!!”
Review of Best Sistine B&B

Best Sistine B&B
Ranked #1,609 of 3,645 Rome B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“A LITTLE " TASTE OF ROME " AWAY FROM OTHER TOURISTS!!”
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Our stay at the Sistine B & B was the closest we'll ever come to experiencing a small part of Rome & the local " natives"!! It was fascinating just to be in busy restaurants with only 2-4 other tourist,[if you are unlucky] or out walking day or night, & be able to observe the locals" coming & going ".. This was our 2nd trip to Rome & it was much more relaxing & educational than the first time. Staying away from the "tourist hotels" was much more of a worthwhile 'mini adventure'!! We loved the Sistine B & B & Erina, who greeted us with a smile at every opportunity, & a wonderful desire to always be helpful. A truly lovely lady! I loved ' THE LIFT ' & it would have been impossible for me without it. My suitcase weighed "a ton". We have no negative comments about our 4 night stay, as everything went smoothly.Erina is very proficient in everything she does, & speaks ENGLISH well.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 22 December 2009

I agree with the other reviewers for this hotel. Location is unbeatable! Really close to Vatican and metro station. The owner Franceca, she is very nice when I called to extend my booking. She made a good offer to us for a bigger room, very spacious and clean. Just one remark was the windows are not good in noise insulation, so maybe you will need to bring earplugs for good sleep.

Breakfast served in the room, it was copious and selection was great!! Wifi is FREE and high speed. If you dont have a laptop, you can use the pc at the corridor.

And yes, you need to call before arrival.

All in all, for the price+location+service, it is very good in Rome!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Hampshire
Reviewed 4 September 2009

This is my first review on Trip Advisor, but as I always use the reviews on here to choose where to stay, I felt it was about time I wrote my own review.

The first thing to say is that whether you will like the Sistine B&B depends on what you want from your accommodation. My partner and I were on a romantic city break (to celebrate being together for 2 years), so we were looking for somewhere that had a cosy feel for those 'romantic' nights in, but we didn't need all the trimmings that you get in even 3* hotels because we planned to be out sightseeing every day... This hidden gem was perfect for us and I would highly recommend it to my friends and family.

I am hesitant to tell others how impressed we were with this little B&B as it only has 3 rooms and the more people know about it, the less chance we have of getting a room next time around, but I think Sistine should be rewarded for having this B&B as part of their portfolio.

LOCATION
It is located less than 5 minutes from Lepanto metro station and, if you follow the directions on the B&B's website, you will have no trouble finding it. The only advice I can provide is that there is no sign outside (because it is located inside a residential district), so you have to look for their name on the list by the doorbell. I also strongly recommend that you call the owners before you arrive (even if you arrive before 12 noon when they tell you someone will be there), because no staff live on site. When we arrived, no one answered - we made a call - and within 2 minutes a lady appeared to let us in (she was already expecting us and had popped to the shops).

The B&B is located in a residential district, so no one speaks English, but I loved this! It made me feel as though I was truly experiencing Italy rather than a Cosmopolitan city. However, the people that work in the convenience store next door were lovely and couldn't have been more helpful - all the food and drink were on display, so we had no trouble explaining what we wanted to buy, including the deli items which included the most delicious fresh ham! There is a bar down the street where you can sit outside with a cold beer (the man who runs it gives you free crisps) and watch the world go by. The best surprise though, had to be the restaurant round the corner (towards Lepanto station) where we ate the best Spaghetti Carbonara for a fraction of the cost in the city district. The menu was in English and Italian (which was a plesant surprise as no one seemed to speak English). I think our bill (with two meals, two beers and a side salad came to about 25 Euro!

From the B&B you can walk to the local shopping district which has loads of ATMs and a fantastic supermarket. It is a 20 minute walk to the Vatican in one direction and the river in the other. Castel S'Angelo is about 10 minutes away and at night it looks stunning.. We were lucky enough to stumble across an all night market with bars, stalls, game rooms and portaloos, and there didn't seem to be many tourists there - it was our best night in Rome!

ROOMS/CLEANLINESS
If it wasn't for the odd broken item which needed fixing and the dust I found behind the sofa, I wouldn't hesitate to give the room we stayed in 5 stars. The rooms are EXACTLY as they appear on their website: light, airy, romantic, clean, etc and the breakfast we received every morning was huge - we couldn't eat it all! We had the largest room which had a tiny balcony overlooking the fountain and a spacious bathroom (spacious for Rome) although the shower isn't big enough for two which is a shame. LOL The TV is tiny and the volume is fixed, but they had DVDs that you could borrow and a mini fridge with a selection of drinks and snacks which was perfect for when the convenience store and bar were closed (Saturdays). There were two comfy chairs, a table and a desk with paper and pen in our room too, as well as a huge wardrobe and air conditioning (which worked brilliantly).

SERVICE
There isn't much to say about the service as the maid is only on site in the mornings, but the service we received was impeccable. She brought our breakfast to our room on time and cleaned our room every day, the internet worked 24 hours and when we checked out at 10:00am we were given a key to the building so that we could collect our bags later in the day (our flight wasn't until 8pm). Paying went smoothly and our bags were untouched (even though other guests could access them) when we returned to collect them.

Please do not hesitate to book this B&B if you are taking a short trip to Rome and would appreciate the peace and quiet of staying in an area away from other hotels and hustle and bustle of the city district. The only disturbances were things like church bells chiming, cars honking on their way to work and the maid making breakfast, but none of these things disturbed our sleep... Quite honestly because the double bed was so comfy. :-)

My last comment would be about the elevator - I didn't really like it, but it was quaint. If you are disabled, annoyed at taking the stairs two floors, overweight or claustrophobic then this might not be the place for you. ;-)

Feel free to get in touch if you want to know more.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Popcorn1975
cape town
Reviewed 27 July 2009

We stayed at this "Gem" for 3 nights before our cruising. What a pleasure to have breakfast wheeled to your room. All you have to do is to leave your order form stating what your preferences are, the time of delivery and....voila...you can have a fresh,delicious and hot breakfast in bed or at a table by the window watching the world go by..... Walking distance to Vatican and Lepanto Metro station. Very convenient grocery shop downstairs and a nice family run restaurant around the corner. Very safe area, two blocks away from the busy streets. And...yes there is internet for FREE. Sometimes a bit slow and temperamental but works.
Back from our cruise we decided to stay another night and definetely will come back if we return to Rome.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sollymolly
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Sistine B&B offers the best breakfast in bed I've ever had. The B&B is not staffed like a normal hotel--there is no front desk or even anyone in the building to attend to you. You fill out your door tag before you go to bed with your choices for breakfast the next day and the time you want it delivered, and the cleaning lady/breakfast lady knocks on your door at the appointed time and delivers a trolley filled with food to your room. The room was big and bright with an AC unit (it never got very cold the way my husband likes it--but hey, at least it cooled things off!). The bathroom was spacious with a nice shower. The location was excellent-two blocks from the Lepanto Metro station and 15 minute walk across the bridge to Piazza Novona. The had a computer in the hallway for guests, which my husband liked because he could check the news every day. There was definitely street noise and also hallway noise from other guests, but it never got outrageous or unbearable.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Johns Creek, Georgia
Reviewed 25 November 2008

I feel really guilty about giving this B&B less than an Excellent rating as so many others have. All other reviews on this site are correct about Sistine B&B being clean, spacious, large bathroom, decent location, and fantastic breakfast. Here are the reasons why I will not stay again:
1) We had to wait over 20 minutes for someone to show up at the B&B to let us in. The B&B is like a large flat with 3 suites and a kitchenette, though no office. This was disappointing since we had called while in the taxi (several times) to ask for help with the taxi price, so obviously he knew we were on our way. I don't know what guests do if they have no phone and do not know they have to wait.

2) My husband and I were so tired that first night after arguing with the cabbie about our fare and waiting to get to our room, but did not sleep at all. You can hear everything through the walls! We heard other guests talking in their rooms, we heard the elevator in the main hall when it was in use, and at 7am when the lady came to make breakfast. I am sure she tried to be quiet, but you can hear the espresso machine and the clinking of dishes. And all the outside noise. Anytime the door buzzer sounds, it made me jump. There are wonderful blackout shades, though.

3) 2nd and 3rd night no sleep again. Even with several glasses of red wine that helped us fall asleep, we woke up at 7am listening to our breakfast being prepared or the neighbors showering.

4) We planned to pay with cash on the last day and save our 5%, but since that day was our cleaning/cook/very nice lady's day off, she insisted we paid the next to last day- which we found out on that day. So we had to charge it.

Our time in Rome was nice, but our nights were not so great. We took many naps and honestly, the price was good. But I will stay closer to the center next time.

• Liked — Breakfast and amount of space
  • Disliked — noise and waiting to be shown our room
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank kasens
Fredericton
Reviewed 22 October 2008

Excellent location--15 minute walk to Vatican--we had excellent instructions on how to find the Sistine B&B and walked directly to it from underground station. The breakfast was amazing and delivered exactly on time directly to our room with piping hot coffee. There was a great little restaurant right around the corner who served delicious evening meal with wine for 8 euro's--amazing. The room was very clean and staff very friendly and efficient. Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to all my friends.

• Liked — location/breakfast
  • Disliked — entry way
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)