“Excellent value for the cost”
Review of Best Sistine B&B

Best Sistine B&B
Ranked #1,497 of 3,617 Rome B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent value for the cost”
Reviewed 10 October 2010

My friend and I recently spent two weeks at the Sistine B&B. From my first encounter with Francesca through emails reserving the room, I received nothing but professional and prompt attention. A taxi was reserved for us and picked us up at the airport. The driver met us at the arrivals area and held up our names. The accommodation, location and full breakfast were excellent. They offer a substantial breakfast and you can place the order the evening before and hang the notice outside your door. As we were interested in visiting the Vatican, it was just a fifteen minute walk to the area. There is wonderful shopping just a few blocks from the B&B and the subway is just a short walk as well. Francesca and her staff were courteous and helpful at all times.
The beds were comfortable and the only negative was the sound of the garbage truck on the street early in the morning. We loved the experience of the B&B and its charming qualities. It made our first trip to Rome a wonderful experience. I would recommend this accommodation to singles and couples. Mary/Eric

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 12Tulips

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 August 2010

The Sistine B&B was wonderful!

I definitely will recommend a B&B for the value, cleanliness, helpful staff, and proximity to attractions and public transport.

All communications from the offsite and on site staff were clear, timely, and responsive. The room was ready with beds separated for my mother and my arrival. You could eat off the floors, and the spaces and bathrooms were modern.

For half the price of a hotel I have stayed in down the street, I got an expansive breakfast (see the other write ups), free internet, and the wonderful and short interactions I like in a B&B.

I would only recommend this for a family with children, if the family took all three rooms.

The hostess-room attendant-breakfast maker-tour assistant made the difference! She greeted and explained the nuances of the property, made a unique breakfast (even soft boiled eggs) for us, and assisted in travel arrangements! A gem for the Sistine!

The B&B is in a condominium (common for Roman B&Bs) and you have to quietly walk to the second floor. This is located in a mixed district of small businesses, restaurants, and residences. I was a light sleeper the first night with the time zone change, and did wake t the late evening trash truck. I dealt with it. The elevator IS small (3 people could stand inside with small bags, but if you are a traveler with an eye for new things, it will be the source of travel stories.

I will be coming back and staying there!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2010

All reviews are right: clean, large, great breakfast, free Internet, small convenient mini bar. If you don't mind having to walk a little, the location is a great base to discover the city. We found nearby restaurants to be cheaper and usually better than most closer-to-attractions tables. Plan 10 to 15 minutes to get to the Vatican and not even half an hour to walk to Piazza di Spagna. Area is very safe at night.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 3rdPillow
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Our stay at the Sistine B & B was the closest we'll ever come to experiencing a small part of Rome & the local " natives"!! It was fascinating just to be in busy restaurants with only 2-4 other tourist,[if you are unlucky] or out walking day or night, & be able to observe the locals" coming & going ".. This was our 2nd trip to Rome & it was much more relaxing & educational than the first time. Staying away from the "tourist hotels" was much more of a worthwhile 'mini adventure'!! We loved the Sistine B & B & Erina, who greeted us with a smile at every opportunity, & a wonderful desire to always be helpful. A truly lovely lady! I loved ' THE LIFT ' & it would have been impossible for me without it. My suitcase weighed "a ton". We have no negative comments about our 4 night stay, as everything went smoothly.Erina is very proficient in everything she does, & speaks ENGLISH well.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 22 December 2009

I agree with the other reviewers for this hotel. Location is unbeatable! Really close to Vatican and metro station. The owner Franceca, she is very nice when I called to extend my booking. She made a good offer to us for a bigger room, very spacious and clean. Just one remark was the windows are not good in noise insulation, so maybe you will need to bring earplugs for good sleep.

Breakfast served in the room, it was copious and selection was great!! Wifi is FREE and high speed. If you dont have a laptop, you can use the pc at the corridor.

And yes, you need to call before arrival.

All in all, for the price+location+service, it is very good in Rome!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Hampshire
Reviewed 4 September 2009

This is my first review on Trip Advisor, but as I always use the reviews on here to choose where to stay, I felt it was about time I wrote my own review.

The first thing to say is that whether you will like the Sistine B&B depends on what you want from your accommodation. My partner and I were on a romantic city break (to celebrate being together for 2 years), so we were looking for somewhere that had a cosy feel for those 'romantic' nights in, but we didn't need all the trimmings that you get in even 3* hotels because we planned to be out sightseeing every day... This hidden gem was perfect for us and I would highly recommend it to my friends and family.

I am hesitant to tell others how impressed we were with this little B&B as it only has 3 rooms and the more people know about it, the less chance we have of getting a room next time around, but I think Sistine should be rewarded for having this B&B as part of their portfolio.

LOCATION
It is located less than 5 minutes from Lepanto metro station and, if you follow the directions on the B&B's website, you will have no trouble finding it. The only advice I can provide is that there is no sign outside (because it is located inside a residential district), so you have to look for their name on the list by the doorbell. I also strongly recommend that you call the owners before you arrive (even if you arrive before 12 noon when they tell you someone will be there), because no staff live on site. When we arrived, no one answered - we made a call - and within 2 minutes a lady appeared to let us in (she was already expecting us and had popped to the shops).

The B&B is located in a residential district, so no one speaks English, but I loved this! It made me feel as though I was truly experiencing Italy rather than a Cosmopolitan city. However, the people that work in the convenience store next door were lovely and couldn't have been more helpful - all the food and drink were on display, so we had no trouble explaining what we wanted to buy, including the deli items which included the most delicious fresh ham! There is a bar down the street where you can sit outside with a cold beer (the man who runs it gives you free crisps) and watch the world go by. The best surprise though, had to be the restaurant round the corner (towards Lepanto station) where we ate the best Spaghetti Carbonara for a fraction of the cost in the city district. The menu was in English and Italian (which was a plesant surprise as no one seemed to speak English). I think our bill (with two meals, two beers and a side salad came to about 25 Euro!

From the B&B you can walk to the local shopping district which has loads of ATMs and a fantastic supermarket. It is a 20 minute walk to the Vatican in one direction and the river in the other. Castel S'Angelo is about 10 minutes away and at night it looks stunning.. We were lucky enough to stumble across an all night market with bars, stalls, game rooms and portaloos, and there didn't seem to be many tourists there - it was our best night in Rome!

ROOMS/CLEANLINESS
If it wasn't for the odd broken item which needed fixing and the dust I found behind the sofa, I wouldn't hesitate to give the room we stayed in 5 stars. The rooms are EXACTLY as they appear on their website: light, airy, romantic, clean, etc and the breakfast we received every morning was huge - we couldn't eat it all! We had the largest room which had a tiny balcony overlooking the fountain and a spacious bathroom (spacious for Rome) although the shower isn't big enough for two which is a shame. LOL The TV is tiny and the volume is fixed, but they had DVDs that you could borrow and a mini fridge with a selection of drinks and snacks which was perfect for when the convenience store and bar were closed (Saturdays). There were two comfy chairs, a table and a desk with paper and pen in our room too, as well as a huge wardrobe and air conditioning (which worked brilliantly).

SERVICE
There isn't much to say about the service as the maid is only on site in the mornings, but the service we received was impeccable. She brought our breakfast to our room on time and cleaned our room every day, the internet worked 24 hours and when we checked out at 10:00am we were given a key to the building so that we could collect our bags later in the day (our flight wasn't until 8pm). Paying went smoothly and our bags were untouched (even though other guests could access them) when we returned to collect them.

Please do not hesitate to book this B&B if you are taking a short trip to Rome and would appreciate the peace and quiet of staying in an area away from other hotels and hustle and bustle of the city district. The only disturbances were things like church bells chiming, cars honking on their way to work and the maid making breakfast, but none of these things disturbed our sleep... Quite honestly because the double bed was so comfy. :-)

My last comment would be about the elevator - I didn't really like it, but it was quaint. If you are disabled, annoyed at taking the stairs two floors, overweight or claustrophobic then this might not be the place for you. ;-)

Feel free to get in touch if you want to know more.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Popcorn1975
cape town
Reviewed 27 July 2009

We stayed at this "Gem" for 3 nights before our cruising. What a pleasure to have breakfast wheeled to your room. All you have to do is to leave your order form stating what your preferences are, the time of delivery and....voila...you can have a fresh,delicious and hot breakfast in bed or at a table by the window watching the world go by..... Walking distance to Vatican and Lepanto Metro station. Very convenient grocery shop downstairs and a nice family run restaurant around the corner. Very safe area, two blocks away from the busy streets. And...yes there is internet for FREE. Sometimes a bit slow and temperamental but works.
Back from our cruise we decided to stay another night and definetely will come back if we return to Rome.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple