“Great location for Vatican”

Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George
Ranked #28 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Spent one night here with family, three room in total. Nice breakfast buffet. Free internet. Good location for Vatican and Piazza Navona. Very modern hotel on a quite side street. This is not a large chain 5 star hotel, however holds up with any top boutique hotel. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had two rooms adjoining with a shared private entrance. This was a nice option.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
stgeorgeroma, Direttore at Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Dear TeamSmallState
Thank you for the time spent in writing your lovely review.
I am delighted to know that you like the design of our hotel and its location, one of our strengths.
In add I am very happy to hear that you appreciated your accommodation in our new Family Deluxe room.
Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience and I sincerely hope to see you soon again in Rome. Paolo Falchi, General Manager

Reviewed 12 October 2012

My greatest pleasure is writing a glowing review for those who have provided my wife and myself with the services and accommodations promised by their websites. Sadly, this is not one of those reviews. In fact, this is the first substandard review I have ever written. I considered not writing a review at all. But, then, I decided to write this one because I feel those who use and trust Trip Advisor are entitled to an honest review on any hotel they may be considering.

The St George missed the mark with our visit and we were greatly disappointed. This was a very special trip to celebrate an important special occasion. We were in Rome twice during this trip to Italy. My wife chose to stay at the St George our last two nights to end our trip with what we had expected to be an extraordinary stay. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case.

Our stay wasn’t all bad and actually began very well. Upon our arrival a very warm staff greeted us and, when we checked in, we were handed a very nice letter from the hotel general manager, Paolo Falchi, welcoming us to the St. George. Our first impressions were good. The interior of the hotel is contemporary in design and it was very clean.

However, as soon as we reached our room our expectations began to slip. The polite young man who brought our bags up from the lobby couldn’t find a place to put our third bag, so he put it in a corner and offered to store one of them for us. Like many women, however, my wife operates out of two bags. While I could probably survive with what I could fit into a lunch box, I was surprised by the small size of the room when compared to the price we were paying. After moving around Italy for two weeks, the only hotel where there was not enough room for our bags was the hotel St. George. There was only one small chair in the room and since my wife and I couldn’t sit down together anywhere, we used the chair for our third bag.

The room had a small balcony, but you couldn’t fully open the doors unless you move things around. So, just moving around in the room was not comfortable. The bathroom was tiny, the smallest of any we have ever had during any of our many trips to Italy. You had to go into the bathroom and close the door just to have access to the toilet. We discussed asking for a different room, but we were tired from traveling all day and simply were to tired to go to the trouble of having to move. When you paid the price we were paying, you shouldn't have to asked to be moved to an adequate room. Anyway, we simply decided to take showers and go somewhere and have a glass of wine.

After her shower, my wife put on a hotel robe only to discover three long black hairs on the collar of the robe. That’s significant once you know that neither my wife nor I have black hair. After looking at the robe carefully, it became my opinion that the robe had not been replaced with a clean one when the previous occupants left. Also amenities which appeared the second day were missing the first day when we arrived. Again, I believe this was due to the fact that the room had not been fully cleaned and prepared for new occupants.

The hotel St George is on a residential street. When booking our stay, my wife said this location would make her feel secure . . . that is, until we left the hotel for wine. Within twenty-five steps of the hotel, we encountered two homeless men sleeping on cardboard mats and a beggar. Of course, the hotel can’t be held responsible for these occurrences, but they certainly didn’t make our stay any more pleasurable.

We expected our rooftop dinner at the St George to overcome the room issue and help make our stay worthwhile. Wrong! Our dinner was served barely warm, much less hot. And, we had to ask for our wine, which was being kept away from the table, to be poured every time our glasses were empty. This is not a standard you expect from a five star establishment. As other reviews have stated, I don't consider the St George a five star level hotel.

While we were trying to enjoy our dinner, the wife of the couple sitting at the table next to us received an incorrect order. When they took her plate away, she insisted that her husband eat so his dinner wouldn’t get cold. But, when her correct order did arrive approximately 20 minutes later, her husband had finished his meal. This couple had the same young male waiter we had and the entire time he acted as though he wanted to be some place else. After all of our many years and many visits to Italy, we have never experienced such an unpleasant evening.

Taken as individual occurrences, the incidences listed may be considered minor. However, taken collectively, they are a major failing for a property that promotes itself as a five star establishment and charges what the St George charges. I never mind paying a premium price for premium quality and service. Unfortunately, we paid a premium price for far less than premium quality and service at the St George. What made me truly sad was my wife’s disappointment when she had been so excited about visiting the St George weeks before we started our trip.

Room Tip: If you are taken to your room and you aren't pleased, ask to be moved immediately.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank TomRossAtlanta

Dear TomRossAtlanta

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us regarding your recent stay at the St.George Rome.

We are happy to read that you experienced a very warm welcome from our front desk staff and that the impression on the design and the cleanliness of the hotel were good.

On the other hand, I do regret to hear that you were disappointed with the room. As I am sure you have noticed, the St. George Hotel is housed by a beautiful 15th century listed building which gives the hotel great character and charm. Even though it was totally refurbished, due to the Italian regulation, we were unable to modify either the shape or the size of any of the rooms and this is the reason why some of them may not provide generous space.

Regarding the bathrobe and your dinner on our roof top, I have personally discussed these two points you raised with my Housekeeping and Food & Beverage Manager and as a result , we will take the necessary steps to make sure that similar incidents will not be repeated in the future.

In the letter you received upon arrival, which you appreciated very much, I invited you to contact me at anytime during your stay. It would have been nice to be able to share with you these issues and take action prior to your departure.

Rest assured that your comments are very much valued and do not hesitate to contact me personally during your next visit to Rome.

With warmest regards. Paolo Falchi, General Manager

Reviewed 11 October 2012

I wouldn't quite class this as a 5 star hotel. Maybe in Rome it is classed as such, but then Rome is an expensive city to visit. That's not to say it isn't very nice indeed. The facilities are good. The room was spacious and the decor was stylish. The air conditioning works well. There are two computers with a printer that you can use down by the lifts on the ground floor. We did find the staff to be a little on the snooty snide, though again maybe that's a Rome thing. Also, bear in mind that the 'free wifi' is actually only free for 30 minutes a day.

I can't report on breakfast as we were room only. However we found an excellent cafe a few streets away (and on the way to Piazza Navona), called Il Guglielmo, where you can get two coffees, corneti and orange juice for 10 euros.

Didn't use the spa.

The roof terrace is a lovely spot to sit and have a drink, with views over to the dome of St. Peters. We paid 16 euros each for a mojito, and 10 euros for a glass of wine, so not cheap, but then more or less in line with hotel prices in Rome. We didn't try the food but the menu looked promising.

The bottom line though is the location, which is excellent. You are 5 minutes away from Campo Fiori, Piazza Navona, Castello San Angelo and the Tiber and Via Giulia is a quiet and atmospheric street.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Hackenabush
On behalf of the St. George Roma, I would like to thank you for taking the time to highlight your experience during your stay with us.
We are really glad to know that you appreciated our rooms and roof top terrace and about the prices I can assure that they are competitive for a luxury 5 star hotel and in line with the market.
It is lovely to read that you found our location excellent, indeed the hotel is next to Campo de Fiori, the Vatican and the Trastevere districts, the perfect place to explore Rome and its amazing sites!
I sincerely hope we will have the chance to welcoming you again soon.
Yours sincerely. Paolo Falchi, General Manager

Reviewed 10 October 2012

We stayed in St. George Roma for few days and the location of this hotel made our stay more pleasant as it was close to many tourist attractions. The lobby is nicely furnished as well as our room which made us feel more comfortable. The breakfast room is bright and the breakfast selection satisfies every taste. The pool and spa is relaxing and a big plus after hours of walking and sightseeing. There are other great and cheaper hotels in Rome and St. George is one of them although, it is pricier.

Room Tip: We got a room facing the skylight in between the building. It was bright and quiet.
1  Thank Lucky B

Dear Farah M
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review, I am happy to know that you truly enjoyed both our location and hotel facilities.
I am delighted to hear that you like the design and the services provided in our hotel; in particularly we really appreciate your positive feedback on our spa and our morning breakfast.
Once again thank you very much for your time and for choosing to stay at the St. George and we hope to see you very soon here in Roma.
Yours sincerely. Paolo Falchi, General Manager

Reviewed 8 October 2012

In my opinion you can´t beat the location of this hotel: You´re 2 minutes from the river and 10-15 minutes’ walk from Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, the Vatican and Trastevere + many other great places and restaurants.
Despite the central location, Via Giulia is a relatively quiet street. We stayed on the first floor facing the street and did not lose any sleep (Windows are sound proofed).

Check-in was fast.

The hotel and the rooms are in good shape. Although our room came with some marks and cracks on the walls.
We stayed 7 nights in a Classic room, which is very compact! But you have pretty much everything you need and a comfortable bed.
Bathroom is not that big, but again, you have what you need, including a hair dryer and a tub.

We arrived late and decided to have dinner at the hotels roof top restaurant. Food was definitely ok, but a little pricy compared to restaurants in the neighborhood.
Be aware that the roof top terrace doesn´t open until 19.00. It seems a bit silly – could be a great spot to sit and enjoy a drink after a long and hot day in the city.

Breakfast buffet is nice, considering you´re in Italy. The selection is good and varied, but did not change during our 7 night stay. Regular coffee and tea is available, and you can ask for any other kind of coffee you desire (All free). Breakfast can be enjoyed both inside and in the court yard. Here it´s also possible to order and enjoy the above mentioned drink, when you return to the hotel in the afternoon.

Two PC´s and a printer is available in the lobby. WIFI is available throughout the hotel (Free for 30 minutes per day – should just be free).

We didn´t use the spa.

A nice and clean hotel with a great location.

Dear Calle77
It is lovely to read that you found our location excellent.
We are delighted to hear that you appreciated our Classic Room; the St. George is housed by a beautiful 15th century building which gives the hotel great character and charm, however, due to Italian regulations, we are unable to modify the shape or the size of any rooms and this is one of the reasons why unfortunately some of them not provide generous space.
Thank you for your positive feedback on your buffet breakfast experiences: we have a new wonderful selection of fresh products in addition to the standard breakfast menu.
Many thanks once again for your review and I very much look forward to welcome you back to St. George Rome in the near future.
Warm regards. Paolo Falchi, General Manager

Reviewed 6 October 2012

I recently stayed at the St. George Roma with a large group. We all found the hotel tonne outstanding. The staff was friendly and helpful. I was upgraded to a beautiful suite with balcony overlooking Rome. The hotel itself is new and modern. The rooftop restaurant and bar was our stop each evening to gaze over this glorious city. Location was outsatnding within walking distance to all the sights. Highly reccomend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
stgeorgeroma, Direttore at Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

Dear Tylernolan2
Thank you very much for your very kind review.
I am delighted to know that you very much enjoyed your accommodation in our suite and
I am particularly happy that you found our roof top terrace excellent. I am also happy to know that your impression about our hotel and location were good.
Thank you very much for your time and for choosing to stay at the St. George Roma and we hope to see you very soon here in Rome.
With best wishes. Paolo Falchi, General Manager .

Reviewed 5 October 2012

My stay was for 8 nights and I was rather careful picking the hotel. I wanted to explore Rome by walking. I am glad I chose St George. The location is within walking distance to major tourist attractions, yet in the quiet street. It gives you the ability to enjoy various aspects of the great city. The area has many places to eat and fun little shops. Deluxe room was spacious and well appointed. Windows had wooden shutters. We close them for the night and had good noise and light isolation. The staff is very professional and attentive. We arrived in the morning after an overnight flight. Our room was ready within an hour, much earlier than the official check-in time. We did not even need to ask for it. Another example: we had prebooked reservation to Galleria Borghese. This is the only way you can get there and it is well worth the visit. When we got there, the door was closed - the staff was on strike (yes, unfortunately, strikes do happen in Rome). Special thanks to Jonathan who contacted them, spent quite some time on the phone and was able to rebook us for another time.

Dear Jana004,
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review, I am delighted to know that you truly enjoyed your stay at the St. George Roma.
I am also very glad to know that you spent 8 nights at our hotel: this is really great!
I was very happy to learn that the overall impression of the location, the staff and the rooms was very good.
I am particularly proud to know that you appreciated the professionalism and courtesy of our staff. I will be very happy to share with Jonathan and our whole team your positive comments.
I sincerely hope we will have the chance to welcoming you again soon.
With best wishes. Paolo Falchi, General Manager.