“Not a five star hotel”

Ranked #35 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Vienna, Austria
“Not a five star hotel”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

The hotel is not a five star quality hotel. Room was ok. Not very big. Lots of small defects everywere. Food was far below a five star hotel level. Room service much to expensive. Cub sandwich + small mixed salad 45 €!. Parking 80 € !per day. Overall service only average. We will never use this place again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ulrich R
stgeorgeroma, Direttore at Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear Ulrich R,
thank you for taking time and trouble to write to us regarding your recent stay at the St. George Rome.
We note that, your experience was not too positive and for this I am sorry.
Regarding the room as I am sure you noticed, the St. George Hotel is housed by a beautiful
15th century building which gives the hotel great character and charm, and even though it was totally refurbished due to Italian regulation we were unable to modify the shape or the size of any rooms and this is the reason why some of them may not provide generous space.
I am also sorry to learn that you found expensive our room service club sandwich € 30 and a mixed salad € 15,but as you noticed the generous size of the sandwich, that is in line with most of others hotels same categories, the same for the garage all hotels in downtown area where parking space is very limited the rate for garage are mostly a like € 60 for a sedan and € 80 for SUV.
Upon your arrival you received a letter on my behalf which said to contact me anytime during your stay, it would have been nice to share with you all these issues.
I hope that we will give us another opportunity to welcome you again.
With warmest regards. Paolo Falchi, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Our room was large and comfortable. However, we had several 'in room' issues with electricity, stuck closet doors, shower...we felt we knew every staff member there! Speaking of staff, great job done by everyone! The breakfast is ample, again, when we were there (October), the eggs were cold as the heating utensil did not work. We advised the restaurant Mgr who just replied (yes, we have a problem)..and the same occurred the next day. I know they take pride in the hotel, they just need to be on top of issues like these. Also, no instruction on using the key to turn the lights on..we had a huge laugh trying to figure this out! The courtyard is closed after the summer. We did not find this information on the hotels websitte. Maybe they could add it to avoid disappointment.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Donna W
stgeorgeroma, Direttore at Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Dear donnayvr
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to write to us regarding your recent stay at the St. George Rome.
We note that, although, you experienced a very warm welcome from my staff and the impression and the cleanliness of the hotel were good.
On the other hand I do apologize regarding some issues that accured during your stay, we had some problems with the heating utensil this is the reason why the eggs were cold, but I can ensure you that now everything is perfectly functioning.
Regarding some instructions for the use of the key card , and information about the garden closed during the winter season I have discussed all these points with my marketing director and we will make sure that all information will be given correctly.
Anyway please take my personal assurance that your comments are very much valued and to not hesitate to contact me personally during your next visit to Rome.
With warmest regards. Paolo Falchi, General Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2013

This was a great stay - the staff was superb (especially compared to some of the service in the rest of Rome...), the rooms clean and well designed, the bed comfy. Cosy lobby with sofas, wine bar, there is a free spa in the basement (I had a massage as well, not free of course, was very good).

Walking distance to all major attractions of Rome.

Did not try the restaurant, so cannot comment.

Would stay here again, definitely recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StephanJudge
stgeorgeroma, Direttore at Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear StephanJudge
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review, I am delighted to know that you truly enjoyed your stay at the St. George Roma.
I am very happy to learn that your impression about the location, the design of the hotel and the rooms were good.
Most of all I am very glad to hear so kind words about my staff: I will be very happy to share with the whole team your positive comments.
I sincerely hope we will have the chance to welcoming you again soon.
Yours sincerely. Paolo Falchi, General Manager
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We stayed for our nights in November last year and loved every minute. the hotel is conveniently situated between the vatican and sites such as the pantheon. Even the colosseum is walking distance if you don't mind a decent walk, and theres lots to see on the way! Breakfast was ideal, the rooms comfortable and the spa was a welcome retreat post sightseeing. The hotel restaurant was a little disappointing for the price but theres plenty of well priced eateries nearby. The hotel is also within walking distance of Trastevere - a beautiful place to walk around and dine.

My only issue is that their cheapest room is only available as a double - it's odd to pay extra for a twin

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have some street noise which may annoy sensitive sleepers!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Keri E
stgeorgeroma, Direttore at Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Dear Keri E
Thank you very much for your very kind review.
I would like to thank you for the excellent feedback on the breakfast , Spa and location.
About the restaurant I can assure that our prices are competitive for a luxury 5 star hotel and in line with the market.
Once again thank you very much for your time and for choosing to stay at the St. George and we hope to see you very soon here in Rome.
With best wishes. Paolo Falchi, General Manager
western mass
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We spent a week at the Hotel St George in room 218. Room was directly On the via Giulia but the windows were excellent and there was no bothersome noise. The room was very new and clean, bathroom spotless, the bed very comfortable and I liked the location very much. Close to everything but away from the tourist crush. We literally walked everywhere in Rome - only took cabs in pouring rain and when going to eat in Portuense or Gianicolo.

Plenty of room in our junior suite and the maid service was excellent and unobtrusive.

Breakfast buffet was included and quite good, though unchanging and by the end of the week I was a little tired of it. Breakfast room staff was very attentive and pleasant. My husband didn't explain to me what the Wi-Fi process was and so I checked the paid version for most of the week until I found out there was another way to log in - the Front desk immediately credited my bill when we asked about it.

I did not go in it but there is a smoking lounge which I never suspected - cannot smell it in the lobby or breakfast room. There is a cozy common area and bar as well as a restaurant which I have been told by a friend is excellent and one of the few restaurants that is handicap accessible in Rome. We did not eat there.

Cons -
If hairdryer is important to you - it is a rather weak built in model. Bring your own.

Shower is in a step up bathtub, not my favorite sort of situation. A little bit dangerous for those unsteady on their feet in my opinion.

We unhesitatingly recommend the Hotel St George and would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sledxl
stgeorgeroma, Direttore at Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George, responded to this review, 22 January 2013
Dear sledxl
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the St. George Roma.
I am delighted to know that you very much enjoyed your accommodation in our Junior Suite.
It is lovely to read that you found our location excellent and thank you for your positive feedback on your buffet breakfast experience; moreover I am also very pleased to listen that our staff was very attentive and pleasant.
We do hope to welcome you back.
Warmest regards and best wishes. Paolo Falchi, General Manager
Lusaka, Zambia
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Of many places we stayed during out trip to italy, this place realy struck a chord. We enjoyed it. The quality and build of the hotel is great. Service and communcation is great. The location is very convenient and easuily accessible to all the main attraction areas. You feel safe walking around in the evenings down all the cobblestone avenues.

Breakfast and the roof top bar is a great addition to the venue. You wont go wrong. Theres a great coffee shop just 200 feet from the entrance, they have some great coffee and its run by a humble older couple, check it out. Nice place to catch up with some locals that wouldnt intimidate you.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank anandude
Dear Anandude
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback and to have chosen the St. George Roma.
I was delighted to learn you appreciated our location: this is one of our strengths and I am happy you enjoyed it.
We really appreciated your positive comments on our service, breakfast and roof top bar.
I hope we will have the opportunity to welcoming you again at the St. George Roma.
Best regards. Paolo Falchi, General Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2013

“Yes, this hotel is supposed to be 5 star” are the very words of the hotel’s own receptionist – a rude and unfriendly man repeating what I had asked him. At least he was speaking the truth!

Maybe it was supposed to be 5 star but it this is an overrated, underwhelming little bed and breakfast that I would rate, at best, 3 stars. The location was fine, a little out of the way but if you were fit you could still walk to most places but the abiding memory is not the rather dull brown décor but the very strong smell from cheap cleaning fluid that filled the room. When I first raised the issue, more – possibly different – disinfectant was sprayed and it made the smell worse. Eventually, and with the help of a better porter to show me other room, and who also commented on the stench, I got a scent free room. It was fine, I suppose, but the lino on the floor was more suggestive of a guest house, c 1970 than contemporary luxury. Breakfast too was basic rather than beautiful.

The roof terrace did look lovely, but it was closed. Some staff were amiable. But not all.

Nearby is the Raphael, another hotel in an old building, albeit a more beautiful, better situated (more expensive) one. I stayed there on my last trip, it oozed understated elegance, the St George just oozed its unpleasant odour.

Even if it were free, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo