“Slow traveling with friendly people”
Review of Hotel Lodi

Hotel Lodi
Ranked #254 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Slow traveling with friendly people”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Even though I visited over a year ago, I still have some nice memories of this place, and especially of the staff. I picked this place because although I'm usually on a hostel budget, I'm not too much of an intensely social, backpacking individual. Lodi was attractive also due to its residential location and proximity to Pigneto, the working-class-now-slowly-gentrifying-hipster-district of the city.

Public transit is easy, especially if you have little luggage. From Termini station, take the 105 bus marked "Grotte Celoni" and get off at "Casilina-Gallarate" (two stops after Porta Maggiore). Cross the major intersection at Via Casilina and turn right (south) towards the aqueduct and the roundabout (Piazza Lodi). You should be on the left-hand side.

Staying on this side, you'll come across a gas station. The hotel is just down the block.

When you check in, Ali (or whomever is at the desk) will probably offer you a welcome drink (some coffee, juice, or water) and get you settled in. The hostel part is on the ground floor, only steps away from reception, and consists of two rooms outfitted with bunk beds (mine had 2 bunks), individual lockers (bring your own lock) and 1 shared bathroom. I believe that both rooms were completely occupied at the time, but I never had any problems using the the bathroom when I needed to. Same goes for the kitchen for storing or preparing simple snacks.

Since Hotel Lodi is more a budget hotel than a hostel, the breakfast area also serves as the common room with 3 (if I remember) computer terminals. I hung out there often (sleeping problems, NOT due to the hotel itself), and of course, took my awesome, carbalicious breakfast there. :)

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, though probably in a private room, and hopefully at a time when I could enjoy their garden. The 3 members of staff I met were polite and friendly, never intrusive, but would also bend over backwards to make sure you were enjoying your stay. Lodi earns a million stars for the people alone, so if you're looking for a casual, relaxed place to wind down after exploring this beautiful city, I would look no further.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank infixing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Since it was our first time in Rome, we did not know which bus to take as instruction quiet confuse. So it took us 30mins to walk all the way from main station to the hotel. The place is beautiful and located at a very local area.

Room is great, but toilet is super tiny.

We love having breakfast in the garden as it is during summer time, very delight experience.
The front desk guy, who I believe he is also owner, is super helpful and friendly. He recommended us many local restaurants to have delicious local food with reasonable price.

Also, we got so many good travel tips when exploring the city.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so you might want to pack light to be able carry up the stairs.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank imwandertraveler
queensland
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We spent a wonderful time at Hotel Lodi. we knew from the moment we stepped in the door to be greeted by the happy Ali that this place was awesome. Ali made sure we had a map and gave a ton of information on what to see and how to get there. All of the staff are super kind and helpful and the free breakfast is a great starter for the day. Ali was kind enough to give us a free upgrade as the hostel wasn't booked out. We spent christmas eve there and were even given a glass of wine to celebrate.. The bedroom was nice and the beds were very comfortable. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank megsygirl
Suzano, SP
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I have spent 3 wonderful weeks at Hotel Lodi. Ali and the other guys of the staff are very kind and helpful. The breakfast is excellent and if you want a second helping just ask them. They also give you all the information you need to make the most of your visit in Rome.

Accommodation is really good too as you have space to move and you also have lockers for your stuff. Another positive point for them is that they make your bed. I have been in many hostels over the years and this is the first one you have it done.

It is located about 3 kms to the Colosseo, which seems to be really much (but it is not), in fact if you want to walk it will take you about 40 minutes and the route until there is quite beautiful. However, if you do not want to walk, you have buses on the corner (about a minute), and a subway station nearby (10 minutes walk). For me the location was perfect.

Considering all the hostel I have been so far, Lodi is one of the best, if not the best one. Whenever I return to Rome, accommodation is something I will not need to worry about, as they are going to be my choice.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for five nights whilst visiting Rome, in a four bed shared room.
The room was simple but clean and just what we were looking for.
Breakfast was tasty and the wifi was good.
Location is about a 10 minute walk to
Either of two metro stations, which we found was fine because we chose to stay in a non-touristy area, so we expected to have to catch the metro.

The area has some good restaurants, especially down near Re De Roma, good quality, reasonably priced etc.

What really made this place great was the staff. Put simply, extremely friendly, helpful and accommodating. They made us feel right at home as soon as we got there, and because of that, we'd definitely recommend this hotel - especially at the price!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel B
Rockhampton, Australia
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Hotel Lodi is a fantastic place to stay in Rome. For the price it is great value as the room is spacious and well kept. The staff are very friendly and helpful, more than willing to go out of their way to make your stay more enjoyable. It is within walking distance of the metro and a short distance from the best value restaurant I have ever been too. Would recommend to anyone traveling on a budget and would defiantly stay again. Great work to the staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my partner whilst in Rome at the end of Nov. the location is only a short bus or metro ride from the city. The staff are amazing! Incredibly welcoming and helpful, all of them went out of their way to make sure we were well looked after, and the breakfast is simple but very nice. The room we had was larger than I expected a comfortable.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple