“Good hospitality, clean, convenient”

Principe Guest House
and 1 more site!
Principe Guest House
Ranked #1,507 of 3,765 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Victoria is one of the most rememberable characters from our trip to Italy. While we felt that most italians are little rude, Victoria gave us a relief. We could hardly understand her broken English but she tried her best to give us information and tips about Rome.

We had booked in Principe, when we arrived Victoria said she is taking us to a different place "New Principe"! We were bit shocked and concerned since I had read reviews that hotel owners in Rome cheat and take you to a cheaper or dirty hotel giving variety of reasons, instead of giving you what you had booked. Surprisingly "New Principe" is just across the block and was a nicer place.

Rooms were clean, there was a kitchen which was great, breakfast was standard.

The place is midway beween Termini and another metro station, and easy for commute.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DanCJV

Reviewed 10 August 2011

The owner, Victoria, was wonderful. She welcomes you as if you are a close friend and she has been eagerly awaiting your visit. While still in Venice I received an email from her asking what time I expected to arrive as she explained there was no reception desk. I told her the expected arrival time of our train at Termini and after a delayed trek (there are 2 Hotel Principes on Via Principe Amadeo street, which we learned first hand) we rang the buzzer and were immediately allowed entry into the apartment building. The elevator is typical of Europe but was so small that I was not confident that both my daughter, I, and our luggage would fit so I sent my daughter up first (she's 22). I heard a very warm welcome to her and her explanation that I was on my way up. Victoria showed us to the room and started explaining Rome. She then noticed that we were sweating [profusely] since it was sweltering that day and heaving luggage through the streets of Rome is challenging, she excused herself, and came back with a large, cold bottle of water, 2 glasses, and a tray. So cute! She was full of information, advice, and answered our questions. We were very glad that we took her advice for the 2 free (included) sites to see with the Roma Passes. Coliseum (which includes the Forum) and Galleria Borghese (Victoria personally called the museum and made our reservation - required but so worth it). I'm sure the Passes paid for themselves with all of the public transportation we used throughout the city during our stay. We mentioned that we were going to the Vatican (we had a Suisse Guard contact that took us to non-public areas) and she promptly apologized for the Pope's not being in Rome LOL! The room was kept spotless as were the hallway. As others on this site have reported, this is a pensione in what was once an apartment. Breakfast is an option (extra charge) and she schedules a time for you. We had to leave her notes a couple of mornings near the kitchen that we were already out and would not be needing it. WiFi is FREE - very welcome since we paid 5 Euro for 30 minutes at our locanda in Venice (Murano). Just down the street towards Piazza della Repubblica and just after the Order of Architects site is a wonderful restaurant - Ristorante Alfredo Sas - excellent service! We stopped in here several times as the food is incredible as well. They give you a glass of Prosecco upon sitting down and then after the meal a glass of this lemon liquor that wiped me out every time. It was very tasty but I reacted to it as if it were everclear! It was comical.
Anyhow, if you are sandwiching in Rome via train (like I did) the location is perfect as it is only a block or so from Termini. Yet even if flying, the Leonardo Express to/from Termini directly to/from Fiumicino makes it a great location anyhow.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

By Rome standards we found the Principe B&B to be very good value.
The host, Victoria was extremley helpful and the breakfasts were excellent.
Wireless internet worked well, but not in our 1st room.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brians101
Reviewed 3 October 2010

The principe is actually a converted apartment within a building which houses both other tourists and local residents. it gives you an authentic feel of actually living in rome and is ideally situated 5 mins walk from the main train station. the owner victoria is extremely helpful, although sadly her english is quite poor and so conversation can become quite frustrating. that said, she goes out of her way to make your stay an enjoyable one and whilst the breakfast is a basic continental one, it is more than adequate and served with a lovely cup of english tea! all in all we could have paid twice as much for different accommodation and it still wouldn't have been as good as this.
Only negative Hotel issue - not easy to locate - no signage outside the hotel. other reviews have indicated that its location is not good, being in a seedy area of rome. i disagree with this. it was in what appeared to be the chinese quarter and not once did i feel vulnerable, even when returning to the hotel at just gone midnight

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank billyclare
Reviewed 27 September 2010

The service at Principe was great. We arrived early and the owner, Victoria, allowed us to check in and get our trip started in city. She was very sweet and helpful with accommodation and advice for experiencing Rome.
The room was very clean.
Its location near the Bus/Train station was very convienent for our early arrival and departure. (5-10 min walk.) It was very easy for us to take our own walking tour of all the main attractions from the B&B. Frequent buses are also running through the city to the main station (Termini), where you can walk back to Principe.
We had an early departure out of Rome and Victoria was so thoughtful that she left us some breakfast snaks to take on our way.
For our budget and time (2 days) in a big city like Rome, Principe was more than we expected. As a B&B, it could not be much better.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GodisPyry
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I am reviewing the B&B, not Rome. That city rocks and I would happily live there for months at a time, but my waistline won't let me...or my wallet.

The B&B is located very near the Metro, but the local area of the B&B is grim at best. Some dodgy types walk the streets there and I would not return for that reason alone. I tended to speed up to and from the building. Happily it is a short walk to get out of this area and everything becomes nice again.

The welcome is warm and she has all the information you might require. Then you see the room. It isn't bad, but for 4stars I had hoped for more. No mini-fridge or bath. The room was quite cold, inspite of the 28C outside, we didn't once have the aircon on. The bathroom was tiny, elbows touched both walls when seated upon the throne. Also, hot water was not always available, which definitely contravenes the 4th Star. The bed was the classic hard rock and was 2 twin beds bound together with sheets. Our view was overlooking the back of other houses and there was plenty of noise some nights from the locals. All of these things added up to a resolute "I would not return, nor recommend this place", especially at the money charged or even cheaper.

Plenty was right. It was very clean and she did the rooms everyday. The room had a coded safe free for use. Some little cakes and 2 fruit juices were left each day in the room. The furniture was plentiful and in great conditon. Fresh sheets each day. The room was large. A TV was in the room, but only one English channel BBC World Service, why bother?

In short, I think this is one to avoid, much better deals were available nearer the time and I regret not waiting until May for booking a place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2010

Excellent stay - it's an apartment owned by retired couple who stays 2 streets away. Victoria, the owner serves us well and we feel like home. However, Rome people are extremely rude which is a minus mark while the visit.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple