“Nice little hotel”

Ranked #461 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Netherlands
“Nice little hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

I spend few nights here when I was in Rome for some business and some sight seeing.
The rooms were adequate, clean and the beds just as I like them: firm and solid. Plenty of clean towels and a pretty spacy and comfortable bathroom.
I was single, so I could use both pillows, which was nice as they were pretty thin.
People were nice. I loved the quirky entrance! When I am in foreign cities, these little courtyards always fascinate me and it was really wonderful to walk into one of them as though you belong. Mind you, the outer door has a door-in-a-door, so to speak. Which means you have to step over a 15 to 20 cm threshold to enter…I didn’t notice, bumped my foot against the door and did my already dodgy knee in for at least one day…(I was even foolish enough to repeat this action once more later in my stay…!)

One night I ate out at the pizzeria just below, which was a nice experience. Even in December, you can sit outside on the pavement.

Still, I’m only giving this hotel three points instead of the four I would normally give a place like this, seeing I only paid 60 euros a night. And this is for three reasons:

One: breakfast was totally drab. And I’m not picky…The rolls were tasteless and the croissants sugared. There was different kind of cake every morning, but this is not something I like to eat for breakfast. So I stuck to the toasted bread. Not fresh ones, but the kind you buy in a package. Coffee was too strong for my taste, the hot water only lukewarm, so I finally opted for the hot chocolate, which was nice. The orange juice was from a pack as well.

Two: when the elevator doors are not closed properly, the elevator doesn’t work. And even though everybody uses the elevator, a lot of the people did not close the door properly. I personally think the hotel staff should put more effort into making sure all guests are aware of how to close the door and maybe check the doors every now and then….or maybe make sure they are fixed and close properly by themselves….? I was glad the elevators worked well when I arrived with my luggage, heavy with books, but on many an occasion I had to walk up the 3 flights, with my dodgy knees and all.
Oh, but if you do find the elevator not working on your arrival, I would personally have no trouble leaving the luggage downstairs (no extreme valuable things, of course) and walk up to get the lift. I’m sure you stuff will be 100% safe.

Three: I’ve lately adopted the habit of leaving a do-no-disturb sign on the door knob. I love my own mess and I don’t need my bed made every day. Usually I do tip the cleaners anyway, as I realise it’s a low-paid, hard-working job….But the maid insisted on ignoring the sign and did the room anyway. No matter how obviously I put up the sign, trying new ways every day. The only day they didn’t come in was when I was in. But even then, they phoned to ask if I needed cleaning….so what’s the point of these do-no-disturb signs???
But maybe I’m being too hard on them here?

Oh, and one more thing, make sure you find the nearest subway stop (ie Republica and not Termini), as the streets of Rome are not made for wheeled suitcases…

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gocek
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2010

I went to hotel Galatea with my brother ..The location is simply perfect. Every part of Rome is just few steps away..Rooms are very clean and comfortable.Stuff is very friendly .The only thing i am not very happy is the breakfast. I recommend this beatiful hotel to serve some cheese and olives in the breakfast.

• Stayed January 2010
Newtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2010

I loved this hotel and had a great stay. The rooms were clean and modern. The breakfast was good and the reception staff was very helpful. The only complaint I had was that the walls are paper thin and we had some very impolite neighbors who slammed doors and talked very loudly and this kept me up all night (for many nights). So if you are a light sleeper, beware. Otherwise, lovely hotel!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

We stayed at Hotel Galatea for nine nights and had no complaints whatsoever. Our room was spacious and clean. The hotel itself looks to be newly renovated and the staff members were all friendly and helpful. Upon our arrival, they gave us a map of the city and pointed out some great places to shop and eat.

Breakfast was good - not a lot to choose from, but it was just fine. My fiancee and I both agree that we got our money's worth. We will DEFINITELY be staying at Hotel Galatea when we visit Rome again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2009

Lovely little Hotel, don't be put off by entrance. Its behind big double doors, through a court yard and up by lift three floors, but a lovely surprise when you get there. Very pleasant staff who went out of their way to be helpful. Continental breakfast okay. Very clean rooms. If there is a downside, it would be the hard beds, although we got used to them! Rooms are a little dark as the bulbs are very energy efficient! I would recommend this hotel, it very reasonably priced and in the centre of everything, no need to use the bus or trains, except perhaps to Vatican City.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
cardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2009

Convenient for both Termini and the main attractions. The route given from the station to the hotel definitely takes more than 10 minutes but if you are arriving at night it is probably the safest route (the area around Termini has a bad reputation after dark!) Finding the hotel reception was a bit of a challenge - through the big wooden gate, across a courtyard to the second stairwell on the left, then up to the 3rd floor - not obvious in the dark!
Having said that - the hotel itself is great: the staff are pleasant, the rooms are clean and of a reasonable size, the breakfast is continental (limited).
The location is great for reaching the main attractions - we walked everywhere. There are plenty of bus stops on the main road outside the hotel - be careful as buses seem to be the worst place for pick-pockets.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2009

Stayed at Galatea in mid november, location is great, kinda in the middle, and the bus stop is 3 minutes away.

one catch from the website, it is not 'walking distance' from Termini train station. It is close, but not within minutes. There are other hotels that are 3 - 5 minutes walking distance, Galatea is more like 20 minutes.

The facade of the hotel is dissapointing, but who cares about the outside right? Room is on the large size, bathroom is clean, with clean towels and some amenities.

TV is flat screen, however, because of the size of the room, it is kinda small, but since they have lots of channels options (english too) we were very happy.

Breakfast is ok, for the price it's actually a plus.

Service is fine, but when we asked for restaurant recommendation, the front desk guy 'recommend' us his 'friend' for 35 euro per person /dinner. and gave us a menu, etc. anyway we felt that he didnt give us any options, but push us to eat at that restaurant, so we didnt go.

There are lots of restaurants in the area, do not fall into his trap.

oh and other hotels usually have wi fi, this one doesnt.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple