“Perfect Location”

Relais Palazzo Taverna
Ranked #514 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Even though I requested a single room, i got the ground floor room with a little court yard, where I could enjoy my continental breakfast each morning. The room is neat, clean and comfortable. I was hardly there during the day but had no noise problems at night, the bed was sufficient.
The location is the draw card here and I could literally walk to every tourist attraction I wanted to. Via dei Coronia is picture perfect! And as another reviewer stated, the best part was walking home along the anient quiet cobbled road. But the eateries and nightlife of Piazza Navona and Campo Di Fiori is a pleasant stroll away. Also, one of the best places to get Gelato is literally around the corner. I would say that it was value for money.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Stacy R

Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at Relais Palazzo Taverna in mid-September 2013. It is a delightful place. The room was spacious and comfortable and the breakfast was superb. You place your order the night before and it is brought to you room on a tray at the time you request. Really good service. We unfortunately experienced a hot water problem during our stay. Despite some difficulties, the Manager attended to the issue as speedily as possible and kept us informed of progress. He recognised our inconvenience and offered us a discount. This was unexpected and very much appreciated. We would definitely stay here again.

4  Thank Robert B
Reviewed 12 October 2013

My 2 friends and I stayed in this hotel on November 2011 but i couldn't write a review before since i didn't remember the name of the hotel (maybe because of the logo). I bumped into this hotel now that i am searching on Booking.com for another stay in Rome. The room was very spacious and the sofa bed for the triple accommodation really comfortable. The location is excellent (just 5 minutes walking from Piazza Navona). The room was clean, the staff very polite. We couldn't need more. P.s: The only bad thing is that booking.com doesn't make offers also for double rooms in this hotel. I would definetely reccomend it!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sotiria_ediar
Reviewed 8 October 2013

My wife and I wrapped up our trip to Italy with a stay at this property, and loved it! We picked this property based on its location to many of Rome's historic sites. For the average traveler it's about 15 minutes to St. Peter's Basiica or the Panthenon. About 20 minutes to Trevi Fountain, or 30 minutes to the Spanish Steps or Colliseum. In between the property and those sites are numerous museums, piazzas, and churches to visit not to mention plenty of restaurants and shops to keep you busy. We only had three nights to spend in Rome (first-time visitors) after a business trip in Bologna and wanted to maximize our sightseeing opportunities.

We took a cab from the Rome train terminal to the hotel. The cab driver was not familiar with the hotel and his gps only got us to about a block away when he had to go into a pizzeria and ask for directions. At the very least be sure to have the hotel's phone number handy to provide to the cab driver! From the main street looking towards the hotel there are no obvious signs that a hotel is even there except for a small flag. Upon entering you'll find a small front office which is staffed by some very friendly folks. The hotel does not have an elevator and you'll have to schlep your bags up a very steep staircase to your room. The interior is decorated modestly and it's nice.

Our room consisted of a king bed (two twins pushed together, which is common in Italy) a tv, a small dresser/table and not much else. The room was clean except for a small bit of mold on the ceiling above the shower. The bathroom fixtures had some cosmetic issues but worked just fine. Above the rooms sits at least one private residence with the pitter patter of of small children running across the floor. For this trip the hotel room served basically as a "crash pad" to rest between stops and for the night. They serve breakfast every morning in your room which consists of croissants, hard boiled eggs, toast, juice, and coffee/tea.

My wife and I are of average physical ability and did not have any trouble dealing with steep staircase or alley leading to the property. However, I would advise against this property for anybody with mobility issues. If you're looking for a reasonably priced room in a great location, this is a good choice.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank B0OGIE
Reviewed 4 October 2013

When we were checking in we noticed there was a room (101) directly behind the receptionists chair, we quietly joked that it was our room, laughing at the awkward prospect of being put there. Turned out it was ours! It felt very strange being in there knowing the reception area was outside of our door (not very private), and the main door to the hotel is only a few steps from reception so it didn't feel particularly secure either. The man on reception was helpful and showed us how to use the safe & how to order breakfast for the next day, but he requested full payment in advance due to reception not being 24 hours. Reception was 7am - 11pm so I don't think this rule is justified, but as the room was clean & we were tired, we done as he asked.

Turns out I had the worst night's sleep I've ever had in a hotel! I normally sleep like a log wherever I go, and nothing wakes me up, however it was constant loud noise from; ventilators, people going up & down stairs, people in the rooms above us, reception noise, street noise & early morning deliveries, shall I go on? We complained in the morning but the hotel was fully booked so we couldn't move rooms, we were booked in for 4 nights so this was not good news. They offered us a €26 per night refund which was nothing if we couldn't sleep again, but luckily after buying ear plugs we slept okay (yes, we had to buy our own). We had to wait until check out for the refund though, which was a bit unfair considering the circumstances (something to do with Italian taxes), but as promised we did eventually get the refund.

The room itself was an okay size, and it was cleaned daily with fresh towels (sheets only changed once on a 4 night stay). Other reviews mention poor water pressure & temperature, but our shower was lovely. The free toiletries noted on our booking was actually just a small showergel & bars of soap, hardly enough for 2 people for a 4 night stay. The bed was a good size but very hard, and so were the pillows (same as most of Italy though). Breakfast in bed was something that appealed to us when booking this hotel, it's different & means less pressure to get up & out in the mornings. However the bread & croissants weren't fresh, and the "toast" was pre-packed and tasted like stale bread that had gone hard. VERY dissapointing, especially for 4 nights.

The location of the hotel was perfect though, 10 min walk to Vatican City, 2 mins to Piazza Navona, and the street the hotel was on was filled with lovely shops (have lunch at Pasta Imperiale & ice cream at Gelateria del Teatro). The man on reception was really nice though & very helpful, he booked us a taxi to the airport & watched our cases all day while we wandered. I do think there should be a more secure process for cases though as they were all just left everywhere in reception (which is very small), right by the main hotel door which is always open, with no tags to say whose bag is whose.

Going off other reviews, I'm sure we would've had a different experience if we weren't in Room 101, but I wouldn't stay here again or recommend it to anyone as you can't be guaranteed which room you'll get. The hotel should just get rid of this room!!

Room Tip: Avoid Room 101!
2  Thank Pyramid160
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We stayed here for three nights and loved the location. Our room was also very nice, although they could do with obtaining new pillows as it felt like we had placed our heads on bricks each night. The only other suggestion would be to ask for a room other than 201 as this room was right next to the breakfast preparation area and thus was noisy in the morning.

The staff were helpful, and the proximity to Piazza Navona was perfect. Overall, great value for the money.

Room Tip: Avoid 201 because of the morning noise.
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We stayed here for two nights and found it to be a great place to stay. It is centrally located near the main piazza and walking distance from the Vatican and also the Pantheon. There is a stop for the hop-on hop-off tour not far from the hotel. Our room was very clean and well furnished. The staff was very helpful. The owner Daniel gave us a map of Rome with the location of common places and he was very helpful throughout. They even let us store our bags after checking out as our train didn't leave till later.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family