“Great location”

Ranked #445 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
London, United Kingdom
“Great location”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed here for one night in June 2014 on the recommendation of a friend. It was the perfect base to explore Rome as it is very close to the cafés and restaurants of the Piazza Navona but also within easy walking distance of the Vatican and the Pantheon. We also walked to the Spanish steps, Trevi fountain and Colosseum and back with ease. The hotel itself was down a little side street and was lovely and quiet at night. Our room (201) was large and had lots of character. The wifi is particularly good, especially in comparison to the Sheraton where I then stayed on business for a couple of nights. Breakfast was brought to our room and was simple but wonderful and the coffee deserves a special mention. Reception were so nice and friendly, we were offered coffee when we returned after a long day's sightseeing and given a lesson in opera, which we enjoyed! The reception isn't 24 hours but that wasn't a problem was us. Bargain for the price, I would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Hebrew first
Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed in 2 different hotels while in Rome because we left for 3 days to go to Florence, then came back to Rome for just 2 nights. The other hotel (Hotel Campo De'Fiori) was wonderful, and this was a HUGE disappointment.
I had a single room, so it was tiny... but I didn't even CARE about the size of the room! My list of complaints include:
BEDDING:
Dirty pillowcase.
Rough sheets.
Pillows that were so skinny they felt nonexistent.
BATH:
There was NO place to put soap and shampoo in the shower, so I had to HOLD it the entire time.
The removable shower head was defective and kept twisting so it only aimed at the wall unless I held it in my hand. So my entire shower I had the soap in one hand, and the shower head in my other hand. Felt like I was juggling.
Water didn't go down the drain, so I stood in 2 inches of water.
Towel warmer didn't work.
CLEANLINESS:
I dropped something on the floor, so looked under the bed to find it. I found a half inch of dust under the bed.
I kept killing tiny little bugs flying around the hotel room while there. Yuck.
FRONT DESK:
Clueless. Couldn't answer any questions I had.
Not rude... pleasant enough. But definitely not professional or high-end.
They go off duty at 11pm. So if you need anything, or if you get any phone calls that need to go through the front desk, you're out of luck.
They barely spoke English, so it made it hard to communicate. (And in my past experiences in Europe, the hotel staff speaks English fluently if you're at a high-end hotel.)

In all fairness, they did take 30 Euros off my room cost each night after I complained. But I would have preferred to not complain and have nice accommodations!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Karen K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Great hotel if you're looking for something in a great location in Rome without breaking the bank. You are only 10-20 minutes walk away from most touristy sites so it is perfect if you plan on lots of sightseeing! We stayed in room 101 which is right behind the reception desk which was the only negative point.The walls really aren't that thick so you could hear noise from both the reception area and above the room. Breakfast is brought to your room every day which is pretty tasty for the standard of hotel, and the hotel staff are very helpful (especially Daniel). Taking into the consideration this is a 2 star hotel and we booked for a very good price I would be happy to stay again and recommend to others!

Room Tip: Avoid room 101 if possible
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laura E
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I booked a last minute room on a Saturday night, I was around the area and checked the best option. As I was close by I decided to show up at the hotel and I was welcomed by a very nice and Kind man called Pietro. Check in was smooth and pleasant and I had a lovely feeling at the very first sight. My room was perfect for what I was looking for, and quality/price was extremely good. Decor is warm and cozy, wooden ceiling, very clean and tidy.
i had a problem on the day after and Mr. Pietro found me the best option ever for me.
I would definetly recommend this place to anybody, for the overall service and for the unbeatable location. There is no better one if you ever want to go to Rome. And I am not a simple tourist but a girl who lived in Rome long time and knows the city as much as a local would do.
Thank you Pietro once again, I am sure that if I ever need a place to stay in Rome, that would be Relais Palazzo Taverna!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Just got back from an amazing 3 night stay at the hotel! Our room (201) was lovely; a big double bed, air conditioning, en suite bathroom with bath and shower and decorated beautifully. It was spotless! The staff we're very helpful and the location was perfect; down a little cobbled street lined with little shops and just over the river from the Vatican and Castel Sant'Angelo. A two minute walk to the Piazza Navona, five minutes to the Pantheon and about 10-15 minutes to the Trevi fountain. We even walked to the Piazza Venezia and Colosseum! Breakfast was delivered to your room every morning which was quite a novelty and made the weekend even more relaxing. At only £60-ish per night, we will definitely recommend to friends and family!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank glwilson
Cape Town
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Even though I requested a single room, i got the ground floor room with a little court yard, where I could enjoy my continental breakfast each morning. The room is neat, clean and comfortable. I was hardly there during the day but had no noise problems at night, the bed was sufficient.
The location is the draw card here and I could literally walk to every tourist attraction I wanted to. Via dei Coronia is picture perfect! And as another reviewer stated, the best part was walking home along the anient quiet cobbled road. But the eateries and nightlife of Piazza Navona and Campo Di Fiori is a pleasant stroll away. Also, one of the best places to get Gelato is literally around the corner. I would say that it was value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Stacy R
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at Relais Palazzo Taverna in mid-September 2013. It is a delightful place. The room was spacious and comfortable and the breakfast was superb. You place your order the night before and it is brought to you room on a tray at the time you request. Really good service. We unfortunately experienced a hot water problem during our stay. Despite some difficulties, the Manager attended to the issue as speedily as possible and kept us informed of progress. He recognised our inconvenience and offered us a discount. This was unexpected and very much appreciated. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple