“Great Location”

Relais Palazzo Taverna
Ranked #514 of 1,273 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed at the hotel last week for just one night before we left to come back home. It was booked on-line and 30 minutes later we walked into the hotel. The staff was very helpful at check- in and the hotel details were explained to us. Our room was very pleasant and clean and great since it had an upper level loft feel which our son slept in. We were leaving at 8:00am to get to the airport so they actually delivered the quaint breakfast to our room with the details they had asked for the night before. The only thing I would point out is that it was a little noisy in the am and night before. Since the hotel is very small and the rooms are all near each other there is no real barrier for noise and light. Since we woke up early it didn't bother us in the a.m. but their was noise in the hall...which was the breakfasts being prepared. However, if we were as normal and sleeping in it would have been annoying.

However with all that said we would definitely stay at the hotel in the future because it is quaint and in a GREAT location. Everything is like a true European neighborhood feel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We loved our stay here! Nice rooms, very clean, and quite large for European standards. The location is fantastic: very close to Piazza Navona and a 15-20 min walk to the Vatican. A lovely neighbourhood with plenty of cute restaurants and cafés. Oh, and the best gelato is around the corner too (Gelateria del Teatro). The front desk staff were really friendly and helpful too and the free continental breakfast brought to our room every morning was a really nice addition. We stayed in the room behind reception, which some past reviewers have complained about, but I don't understand why! We never had issues with noise at all. And really, if you're in your room and feeling bothered by noise from someone checking in at reception, you're wasting your holiday away and should be enjoying the sights of the city instead. Great hotel! Would definitely return.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The location is genuinely fantastic for this hotel. Walking distance to the vatican and colosseum and on top of all the great sites of the centro storico. We also found the staff really friendly and helpful.

The reason for only 3 stars in based on one thing which other travellers may not experience - the breakfast. In general its fine and even though the only cereal they have is corn flakes, the croissants and bread were good. However it is served in your room which we found a little cramped given the space in the room. The issue for us was that on one day our breakfast turned up 35-40mins late and only half prepared. Apparently the kitchen guy had forgotten his keys and so was late starting which we were assured was the first time in 22 years, but I can only report our experience and obviously with the need to book times to visit places like the vatican that can be an issue.

The room is well presented but relatively basic. It's nice and pretty good value and would definitely be a 4 star place without our issue with one of the breakfasts.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed for four nights at this hotel. It is in a fantastic location. One can walk to Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, St. Peter's basilica and to piazza navona. The hotel is in a very charming area with plenty of eateries to fit every wallet! It is also very safe as it is close to the Government offices and there are many police folks around!

The only not so great feature is that rooms are small as it is in a heritage building. No lifts. If you are carrying heavy luggage it might be a bit of a hassle.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I really liked this B&B. I can't call it a hotel since it's more of a BNB. Very nice staff but they speak little English. Breakfast is brought to your room each morning. We stayed in room 201 and it was very comfortable. Double bed, shower and a small courtyard/ balcony that overlooks the courtyard on the 1st floor but no view. Really nice and homey compared to Rome streets. Not too busy outside but very comfortable, lost of small shops and food right outside the door. Literally steps from Castle St. Angelo and a few minutes from Piazza Novona. Just about 10-15 min walk to the Vatican n St. Peter's Basilica. Not a high end hotel but we weren't looking for hight end. The staff leaves at 11 pm but we didn't need them. I will def recommend this place to others

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed here for one night in June 2014 on the recommendation of a friend. It was the perfect base to explore Rome as it is very close to the cafés and restaurants of the Piazza Navona but also within easy walking distance of the Vatican and the Pantheon. We also walked to the Spanish steps, Trevi fountain and Colosseum and back with ease. The hotel itself was down a little side street and was lovely and quiet at night. Our room (201) was large and had lots of character. The wifi is particularly good, especially in comparison to the Sheraton where I then stayed on business for a couple of nights. Breakfast was brought to our room and was simple but wonderful and the coffee deserves a special mention. Reception were so nice and friendly, we were offered coffee when we returned after a long day's sightseeing and given a lesson in opera, which we enjoyed! The reception isn't 24 hours but that wasn't a problem was us. Bargain for the price, I would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed in 2 different hotels while in Rome because we left for 3 days to go to Florence, then came back to Rome for just 2 nights. The other hotel (Hotel Campo De'Fiori) was wonderful, and this was a HUGE disappointment.
I had a single room, so it was tiny... but I didn't even CARE about the size of the room! My list of complaints include:
BEDDING:
Dirty pillowcase.
Rough sheets.
Pillows that were so skinny they felt nonexistent.
BATH:
There was NO place to put soap and shampoo in the shower, so I had to HOLD it the entire time.
The removable shower head was defective and kept twisting so it only aimed at the wall unless I held it in my hand. So my entire shower I had the soap in one hand, and the shower head in my other hand. Felt like I was juggling.
Water didn't go down the drain, so I stood in 2 inches of water.
Towel warmer didn't work.
CLEANLINESS:
I dropped something on the floor, so looked under the bed to find it. I found a half inch of dust under the bed.
I kept killing tiny little bugs flying around the hotel room while there. Yuck.
FRONT DESK:
Clueless. Couldn't answer any questions I had.
Not rude... pleasant enough. But definitely not professional or high-end.
They go off duty at 11pm. So if you need anything, or if you get any phone calls that need to go through the front desk, you're out of luck.
They barely spoke English, so it made it hard to communicate. (And in my past experiences in Europe, the hotel staff speaks English fluently if you're at a high-end hotel.)

In all fairness, they did take 30 Euros off my room cost each night after I complained. But I would have preferred to not complain and have nice accommodations!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo