“Fantastico!!”
Review of Baldassini B&B

Baldassini B&B
Ranked #1,677 of 3,711 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I have to admit this review is very late. For many reasons my life became very busy after my meeting in Rome. I stayed at Baldassini in February of 2012. But a review is better late than never :-)

I went to Rome for a meeting and was only there for two nights but I definitely made the right choice to stay at this fantastic B&B.

I arrived very late because of delays to my flight. Francesco had been trying to contact me but I had sent the wrong number in my email so he couldn't get in touch. The whole mix up was completely my fault but Franceso made me feel so welcome and insisted on upgrading me to the best room in the house at no extra cost which was so kind of him. He was also very helpful and offered lots of information about the best places to eat and gave me a map.

My room was great! Very spacious, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was also excellent.

The location was absolutely perfect for everyhing and everywhere and was less than a minute to walk for my meeting the following day.

I would definitley stay at Baldassini again and I am very grateful to have had such a lovely place to stay in beautiful Roma.

Stephen Harper - London

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Sean B
There are newer reviews for Baldassini B&B

Reviewed 26 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights while in Rome, located around the corner from the Pantheon. Francesco and Isabella were great hosts. They gave us recommendations on where to go and what to eat. He made an awesome breakfast spread for us each morning! More than enough food for 2. The only problem we had was renovations being done behind the wall we would hear a hammer late at night while we were trying to fall asleep. He gave us a keepsake as a parting gift which I thought was very sweet!!! Definitely a good anniversary stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anna N
Reviewed 19 July 2012

This is our first visit ever visit to Rome and we booked after researching on Tripadvisor. Everything about this gem is perfect. From the friendly and prompt response from Francesco when we booked to the warm reception and their helpful nature, nothing can be improved. The location is great, can walk practically everywhere, and there are loss of places to eat and hang out just steps away. Highly recommend this place. We are staying with our 9 year old and the room with an extra bed still feels spacious.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank SofiaShakil
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I have to say everything was beyond my expectation, and my expectation wasn't low. The place was centrally located, five minutes walk to pantheon and even less to Piazza Navona - where you find a lot of nice restaurants and places for gelato! It is also quite nice to go there at night when it's a bit cooler, chilling out with a couple of beers next to the fountain! :) If you walk further from Pantheon (about another 5 minutes) you will find yourself at fontana di trevi, where I reckon the best gelato is at!

I didn't think much on the transportation from the airport to the hotell (thought a taxi ride would be sufficient). It was my first time to Rome so I googled information about Roman taxis and I was suggested not to take the taxis as the drivers sometimes attempt to rip you off and can get quite aggressive. So I got in touch with Francesco just the night before at 10pm, which I did feel sorry for doing so but I was panicking so much. He hooked us up to Alessandro who came to pick us up in the airport the next morning, after waiting for 40 minutes for us (our luggages were delayed). When we checked in, Ruby greeted us. She was greatly helpful and friendly without being too much forward or intrusive. Every morning she served us delicious breakfast to the room, which was just fantastic! Oh and the room itself was quite roman style. It was quite well furnished and the details were quite attended to. Though the wireless can sometimes be a bit tricky but just go reset the router at the reception. There are also kettles and other appliances for borrowing in the hallway. In the room you have a toaster and a small refrigerator! Just pure excellence! However, the bed itself might not be as comfortable for some people, it is not a proper mattress. I slept just fine on it, however, if you are picky with bed, you might wanna consult the owner first, but I think they have extra mattresses! I just wanna give my thumbs up to the lovely people there, Ruby and Francesco! Definitely made the stay even more pleasant and the breakfast just brightens up the beginning of my everyday in Rome with my mum! Before we left, Francesco rang for taxi and helped us carry the two HUGE suitcases down, also told us the rough price to the train station! Such a nice host! I would DEFINITELY definitely go back to stay there, and I would recommend it to anyone who's going to Rome!

Room Tip: Choose the room to the left when you enter (the one right next to the entrance), it's where I st...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We rented the Red Room, overlooking the street, and the Yellow Room, with a window to the inner air-space (courtyard). Alessandro Transfer Service, recommended by Francesco, picked us up at the airport and took us directly to the B&B while pointing out major attractions along the way. The location is great in two ways: 1)two blocks from Pantheon, which has a taxi stop (where you can save significant money rather than being picked up at the B&B), and central to many other tourist sites, and 2)in a less busy neighborhood with many local restaurants and shops. The B&B is on the 2nd floor of the building. We were checked in by a young lady, Angela, who gave us information on the neighborhood, then left. Otherwise, we stayed in touch with Francesco by e-mail during our stay, which was sufficient for us.The larger Red Room has a window overlooking the street and a large breakfast table where three of us enjoyed the generous and delicious breakfasts prepared by a very attentive and helpful lady named Ruby. The double glazed window kept the Red Room quiet at night. The air conditioning was good, but somewhat noisy in the smaller Yellow Room (filters needed cleaning). Each room was simply furnished, had a small refrigerator, and the bathrooms were clean and functional. In the hall is a computer for checking e-mail, two wine glasses, a corkscrew, and a variety of travel books for Rome. Just outside the door are several small, excellent restaurants, and more down each street. One block over, a small outdoor market sets up each morning, where we bought some fresh fruit. There is a small supermarket near the Pantheon for cheeses, meat, wine, etc, and a variety of other shops within blocks of the B&B. So, everything we wanted was within 2 blocks. And, the neighborhood was perfectly safe. Payment was with credit card. It was a very good experience.

Room Tip: If you enjoy seeing activity in the street and at local businesses, choose the Red Room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Milonguero23
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at Baldassini B&B for four nights. We found the room to be quite comfortable.The breakfast we had each morning was delicious. Francesco and Isabella were very helpful hosts. The location is amazing.We would stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Obviously, B&B in Italy means something different from what it means in, e.g., the UK or the Netherlands. There it means "staying with the locals in their homes". I recently stayed in 3 B&Bs in Italy, and two of them were what we would call in Germany "breakfast pension", i.e. a small pension with a number of rooms (ranging from 3 to 8 or so) run by temporary professional staff and with an owner either invisible or at least not living there. Thus, a purely professional structure while the original B&B formular was "stay in the home of a local".

Having said that, I can only confirm the other reviews which state that the location (between Pantheon and Piazza Navona) is unbeatable. The rooms (3) are very nicely decorated, with stone floors, iron beds. However, for people (like me) who prefer a room to live in and not only to sleep (either because during a longer stay you want to spend a few hours at your temporary home to relax, or because you have to work and prepare a business appointment) the rooms are a bit depressing because (1) the blue and the yellow room have a window to an inner courtyard, the rooms are on floor 1 and the houses are high, so natural light is scarce and you need artificial lighting even if outside the sun is burning. (2) You can either sit/lie on the bed or sit on a chair at the little folding breakfast table - so nothing to sit and relax. And there are people who even want to do this during their holiday in Rome! It's fine for those who want a centrally located accommodation and come there only to sleep.
Practical issues: available: microwave on the corridor, water boiling kettle, ironing table and iron, wine and champagne glasses and bottle opener. W-LAN available but no printing possibility (printer at reception does not work).
The bedside lamps are very dim (difficult reading) and otherwise there is only a main light which has the charm of a train station hall lighting. There was a floor-lamp / standard-lamp with a reading light to be used to light the table for working but without light bulbs so I had to use the one from the bathroom and carry it back and forth.
In sum, not bad but different from what I had expected - and that at 130 EUR per night. Objectively all fine, but a bit impersonal. Owner came over when I had arrived, did not bother to tell me his name, gave some good dining tips and disappeared. Owns another B&B in Trastevere (don't know whether he lives in that one). Part-time inn-keeper served a very good breakfast (even cheese, eggs, bacon - in Italy!) and was VERY friendly and helpful.
If you don't expect a "stay with the locals in their home" but look for a bed in a good location and a good breakfast, this place is yours.

Room Tip: The red room has a four poster-bed, a window overlooking the street and a bathroom with window to in...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Andrea S
BaldassiniBandB, Owner at Baldassini B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Dear Andrea S,
thank you for taking time to write a comment on the Baldassini B&B.
I am glad to know you liked the "unbeatable location" of the B&B, only two minutes from the Pantheon and piazza Navona and at a walking distance from all other attractions, and the plentiful breakfast served by Ruby, the kind lady that helps me.

You stayed in a room on the back, that normally is preferred by those guests who require quietness for some good night sleep.
But I also have a large and bright room with a double glazed window overlooking the little street, with a table where you can comfortably sit and work and prepare your business appointments. You may want to stay in this room next time. For sure, you will not be disappointed!

After new painting, now all rooms are beautifully decorated. Soon I will upload the new pictures and a video on my website.
The printer ink cartridge now has been changed and the fused light bulbs replaced.
Thank you for letting me know those details.

During your 3-night stay, actually you saw me in two occasions. First at your arrival (and I introduced you to the house and I gave you a map and pointed out the most known and unknown attractions and suggested some good local trattorias, pizzerias and gelaterias) and then on your second day. On your third day I was also there for about 3 hours in the afternoon/evening, but probably you were working in your room or you were out in the city.

My wife and I have a newborn baby, our first, and we dedicate a lot of our time to her.
However I do not forget my guests and if I do not meet them in the evenings, I keep in touch by email and I send some restaurants recommendations and other tips.

Next time if you want to stay more with us and want a large and luxury room, with a jacuzzi bathtub or a balcony and even a rooftop terrace where you can enjoy the view while drinking a good glass of wine, you may want to stay at our B&B in Trastevere, a nice area with a more local feel with plenty of restaurants and markets at just a 15-20 minutes walking distance from the Pantheon/Navona.

I hope to meet you again in the future!

Francesco.