“Viator Colosseum Small Group Tour - don't do it”

Centurion Tours - Day Tours
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 22 June 2018

Reviewed 5 June 2018

Reviewed 15 January 2017

Stay a way from this company. The rip off artists over sold their tour. We had a huge group of around 60 people. The guide was useless and you could not hear a word she was saying. We stood around for more than a hour at the beginning at their tiny office door which was up some back alley. At the end of the tour a large part of the group were asking for their money back and were just lied to by this company that they had clearly inidicated to us what we would get in the tour? My advice would be to stand in the lines as it most probibly quicker in the long run.

Reviewed 1 November 2016 via mobile

First our guide did the best she could with a grossly oversold tour. We decided to go to the Vatican Museum on Sunday morning, October 30. We saw huge crowds in line (free entry last Sun of month) so took the offer of a tour to skip the line, and were told 15 minutes. We waited and waited until we finally got in the line only to be told after half an hour that the Museum was not allowing any more visitors due to the earthquake. Since we felt that was not their fault, when they offered a tour Mon at 3:30, we decided to take it since Tues was our last day and a holy day so Museum would be closed. We returned to wait 2 hours, then get in the line for an hour with 80 people, about half French speaking, all the while unsure if we would be allowed to enter. We did and it was so crowded we could barely see anything and took so much time for our guide to give info in 2 languages, we walked ahead of the guide and went on our own. I am giving a terrible rating because I had asked several times how many would be in the group and was repeatedly told 15, only English. Not a pleasant experience. Be aware of this hustling company.

1  Thank annsh
See more reviews
Reviewed 30 April 2016

We were just on our way to the ticket office for the Vatican when we were approached by a man who told us about a tour + ticket package that would get us in without waiting in a queue. He was offering it from a pamphlet and giving a discount from the published prices. Listening to him, considering it and then following him to an office 15 minutes away was the WORST decision I made in my entire trip to Rome. When we reached there, they told us the tour was not in 30 minutes' time (as we were initially told) but in an hour and a half. We had already come all the way - it seemed pointless to go back the 15 minutes' walk and wait in the queue as now it was unlikely we would get in before the start of this tour anyway, so we said we would go to lunch and come back for the 'new' start time. We paid and left - second big mistake.

We came back for the tour at 14:00 and at 14:30 we were still sitting in their office. At this point we expressed our unhappiness at not having left the office half an hour into a two hour tour. (They seemed to be trying to rope in last minute customers at the expense of our time.) They responded to our complaint with hostility. We could not get a refund and had no choice but to follow through this tour, which despite being told would be in English was in Italian for the vast majority (4 out of 16 were English speakers). The small bit that was in English was simply patronising. The tour was rushed, un-informative and a HUGE waste of time and money. I regret stopping outside the ticket office and will probably never take an informal tour again in my life. I tried to look into a way to report this tour agency but unfortunately could not find a way to do so. The worst part is I did not look at customer reviews on tripadvisor until after ward, else I would definitely not have gone ahead with this company. All the reviews claiming that this tour group are con artists are absolutely 100% true. It is the worst experience I have had as a tourist in my life - these people are the worst kind of cheats.

3  Thank Zaynab K