“Fantastic value for money”
Review of Little Italy B&B

Little Italy B&B
Ranked #2,208 of 3,721 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 September 2009

This bed and breakfast is great value for money and located a couple of minutes walk from the Metro and buses and is central to most attractions. Our host Rene was a fantastic host who endeavoured to see that all our needs and wants were covered. He spoke seven languages and had a brilliant sense of humour.
Our room was basic but clean with comfortable beds, a mini fridge, television and a fan (on request). Breakfast was communal and well catered with fresh rolls every day.
We will definitely use this B & B when we return to Rome and would recommend it to all our friends.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 June 2009

I stayed twice at the Little Italy, at the beginning of my month in Italy, and at the end, and it was fantastic. Very comfortable and spacious rooms in a very convenient location. Only 10 mins to Termini and the Colosseum in the other direction. The beds were incredibly comfortable (more so that many other 3 star places I stayed in during my trip). The street is very quiet, perfect for getting a good night's sleep, and I walked around there at night on my own quite a bit and was perfectly fine. Really easy to walk to all the main sites, or get the metro. Rene is great, speaks about half a dozen languages fluently and is a font of knowledge. I'll definitely go back there when I find myself back in Rome.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 October 2008

I found this nice little place through the internet!
At first it was a bit creepy cause the building looked very
old on the outside, but what a surprise we got
when getting in! It was very nice furnitured, clean and cosy.
The manager was very nice and gave us a lot of helpful information about Rome. For a bed & breakfast it was OK!
Breakfast was already served when waking up, good coffee!
It was a 5min walk from Termini, near a very transit street (Merulana) and with restaurants and very nice places to see/visit like the Colosseum.
My bed was not so comfortable, though.
I gladly recommend this B&B!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2008

First off, while this place is very convenient to Rome's main train station (Termini), sometimes there is a tradeoff. In many cities (Rome being one of them), the area around the main train station isn't necessarily the best area to have your accommodations.

The hotel's neighborhood felt a bit "depressed". I was not inclined to sit out at any of the neighborhood cafes or eat at any of the restaurants nearby. Mind you I don't need to be in the popular parts of the city, or the touristy areas; I don't mind being in a place a bit more out of the way or "neighborhoody". But this area just felt a bit "depressed".

Nonetheless, the hotel is one block from a metro station, and so you can easily get to other/nicer parts of Rome in just a few minutes.

The building is very secure and clean. However, there were a few areas where the B&B could use improvement. First off, my room (and presumably all the other rooms) had no window shutters OR heavy drapes to block out the oppressive summer sun. The only thing the windows had were very sheer curtains. As a result, my room "cooked" all day from the sun and the heat in the room was intolerable. In addition, while I knew the room would not have air conditioning, how difficult or costly would it be to give the guests a fan in their room? Trying to sleep in the room on an August night was unbearable, not only due to the heat that had built up during the day, but no air circulation (due to the tight, enclosed courtyard outside my one window which ensured I would get no type of breeze).

There was alot of outside noise as others mentioned, and it seems that this is a result of voices etc echoing within the walls of the courtyards. Fortunately however, the noise did not seem to be excessively loud during my sleeping hours.

In the half of the apartments where my room was located, there was a door to access the apartments from the main corridor. This door had about 5 different locks on it, only one of which was working and for which you were given a key. The problem however came about when I first tried to EXIT through that door. I was faced with an array of bolts, latches, knobs etc, and had no idea which one to turn in order to exit. Since I was the only person in the apartment at the time, there was no one to ask for guidance, so I ended up trying every lock and in the process, locked myself in, unable to correct the situation. Not yet having a working local cellphone to call the proprietor, I had no choice but to bang on the door, hoping that someone outside would hear me. The proprietor did come shortly to let me out, and then said it should have been very "obvious" which latch to pull. I suggested that he might want to put a sign with an arrow on the door, telling guests exactly which latch to pull in order to exit the apartments. The very next day, a newly arrived guest had the exact same problem and locked themselves in. Fortunately, I was there to show them how to get out!

The proprietor was very helpful with suggestions and made himself very much available to the guests, which is nice when you are in a foreign place.

Breakfast each morning was nothing particularly fancy, but it was pretty much what you'd expect for an inclusive breakfast (cereal and milk, fresh bread with various spreads, coffee made from canned coffee grounds, and watered down juices from a carton).

I would stay here again, if only something was done to keep out the sunlight and/or fans were provided.

• Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank Lynn N
Reviewed 2 June 2008

We stayed at Little Italy in transit back to New Zealand. Rene , (manager), is brillant - awesome email contact, and I had to ring him at one stage from NZ, he organsised a time to call and had us sorted. Yes it is a few blocks from the action, but we were two women travelling and felt very comfortable walkin around at night. A fab restaurant 200m away. It is on the 5th? level of an old building , yes there is a lift, - so away from noise, it is also on a quiet street with doubled glazed shutter windows - so very quiet. There is only a few rooms with 2 immaculate bathrooms, so we didn't see anyone else! Rene met us at LIttle Italy, he quickly sent us back to the train station - 10 minutes walk - to get our train ticket for the morning as he suggested there would be lines of people in the morning for the airport (11 Euro and takes 30 minutes) - takes you to departure gates. So easy. Hassle getting big suitcases up and down train stairs if travelling alone but can be done! Rene sets the table for the morning and turns up with hot bread rolls and coffee. Fruit juice and cereal included. Overall - Little Italy was a great base, Rene was an asset as it was our first visit to Rome and he was out with the map and full of advice. Would stay again. Thanks - Ciao.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 21 May 2008

I stayed at this B&B past october.
Although it was the best price we found, you can find a better place for only few euros more.
It's located close to Termini, but the area is not nice at all, it could be considered even dangerous because doesn't have a lot of movement at night. It's located in a neighborhood of chinese and arabian people.
The building is really old, with only one extra small rustic elevator, what makes really unconfortable getting your package up (even if it is a small one).
The place was clean all the time, but the bedrooms are not the best cause the furniture and structure are quite old.
At night I had trouble getting my sleep because the prayers of the muslims.
I didn't feel confortable at all, was OK but not what I expected.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 8 November 2007

My two daughters (ages 20 and 18) and I booked a private room at Little Italy B & B ...our first hostel we had ever been to. I had read about hostels on line but we wanted to tour several places on a budget. I am one of those travelers that enjoys a 3 star hotel in the states and I was a little fearful of what we were getting ourselves into. We got the little private apartment that has 2 bedrooms, a darling, modern bathroom and a cute little kitchen that was all IKIA furniture...spotlessly clean and smelling great. It is in a really unique location and was just such a find. I truly felt this was on par with anything 3 star I have stayed at as we could come back during the day, make ourselves a cup of tea, chill in the room and then go back out at night. It was like coming back to a little apartment. The main terminal (Termini) is within a short walking distance with access to any bus or train and Line A is just around the corner. A darling little Italian restaurant is also very close by. Rene was so helpful and charming. We all loved him and he has a sweet sarcastic sense of humor that kept us chuckeling as well. The breakfasts were great...with REAL butter and coffee, great rolls...we felt safe and there were even special touches like an umbrella to borrow by the door, some apples available to snack on, even a disposable camera if someone would have needed one. I really can't say enough about the place. It was amazing....we went on to experience REAL hostels and I would have to say especially the little apartment is more of a bed and breakfast than it was a hostel. You can be anywhere within minutes because its located so close to Termini so you can come and go and get refreashed, etc. Like I said...I just can't say enough about it.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family