“A room with view” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1,377 of 3,736 Rome B&B and Inns
KL, Malaysia
“A room with view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I spent almost a month in Europe and stayed at Imperial Rooms from 5 to 11 April 2012.

Prior to my arrival, I stayed in a 4-star hotel in Switzerland. Although the room was much bigger in Switzerland, the service was rather disappointed.

Imperial Rooms is right next to the Colosseo and the ticket booth of ATAC (Note: one way ticket to travel within Rome costs €1 via metro/bus/tram, you can either buy ticket from the ticket booth or at the metro station), 5-10 minutes from the metro and a few bus stations, the Roman Forum, the Palatine Hill, the Imperial Forum, the Basilica San Clement and the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano (the oldest and ranks first among the 4 major basilicas of Rome), 10-15 minutes from Piazza Campidoglio and Piazza Venetia, and Tesco is right at the back of the hotel (you probably won’t notice if you do not pay close attention).

I arrived the night before Good Friday and avoided the hassle to drag my luggage around by paying €30 per person for Imperial Rooms to arrange for shuttle from the Fiumicino Airport and you know what, the boss himself and one staff picked us up from the airport. I had considered taking Leonardo Express earlier, the fare per person to Roma Termini is approximately €14 but decided against it since this was our (I travelled with my sibling) first free & easy trip to Rome and I couldn’t imagine dragging our heavy luggage to Stazione Termini in order to take Metro (at one-way fee €1) to Colosseo or take taxi in the middle of the night (at approximately €10) to the Imperial Rooms.

I was given a room with en-suite bathroom (I think not all rooms have Jacuzzi as advertised) on the 1st floor facing an ancient ruin (the view from my room could not be better, Colosseo is on the left and ancient ruin is just in front). The staffs were friendly and very helpful (they helped me to get a taxi at 6am to Roma Termini for my onwards trip to Florence and the taxi arrived within 3 minutes. Also helped me to clean after the mess I’ve made with genuine smile as I accidentally pull down the loose cereal container......my brother said he wished he brought our camera to take photo of my facial expression then). The room was spotlessly clean, fully furnished with a small TV, air-con, heater, mini bar, built-in the wall safe with free WiFi (I was really grateful that Imperial Rooms provided free WiFi because one 4-star hotel I stayed in London charged up to £15 per day to access high-speed internet) and free breakfast.

I enjoyed my stay and would recommend Imperial Rooms to you, if you are looking for a value-for-money hostel which is close to all the major sights, offers personalised service, do not mind to climb stairs (the hostel is located in an old building hence no lift to go up and down, but need not worry about bringing your luggage up as the staff will help you to send all to your room upon arrival) and can sleep well regardless of what condition since the bars downstairs open till 1-2am and people stay on the street until 3-4am and are really noisy even the double glazed window can’t block-out the loud noise entirely (I didn’t mind at all because I was either dog tired after my hard day out and fall sound asleep almost immediately after I lie down or worked late updating photos in my facebook. If you do, ask for an inner room but then you will not be able to enjoy the view outside and check the weather daily), this hostel would be the right fit for you as it was for me.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank daphydo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Florida, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

I would reccomend this Hotel to everybody. It is the best place I've ever been!
I woke up watching the Coloseum and felt asleep vith the wonderful view of Nero's Park!
IThe room was spotlessly clean, comfortable, romantic and I could use the wi-fi for free which is something hard to find.
Moreover brekfast was delicious. Pastries and fruit, cereals, and cappuccino was the best!
Staff was friendly and always at reception. They arranged a pick.up from the airport and also way back. Great value for money!
I've found my place in Rome!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Normann N
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

Great rooms, very friendly staff and a sweet breakfast room completely ruined by the bar/club next door running ( I am told) an unauthorised disco until 2am. The street noise continued on till about 3am. We stayed on the first floor. The night manager tried to talk to the bar and got some success of volume reduction the first night but had no luck the second night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room well away from the bar/disco
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank PrimroseHouse
PERTH
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2010

We didn't even get to stay at the hotel, due to the volcanic ash problem we could not even fly out of Australia to get to Italy.
I cancelled our reservation with Imperial Rooms on the 19-4-10 we were to stay with them from the 23-4-10 to the 28-4-10.
They still took $517.00 AUS from my credit card and I can not get it back so far!!!
I have gone to Consumer Affairs over this matter.
All I can say is if this is the treatment I am receiving from the Hotel and we didn't even get to stay there, god only knows what the place is really like.
Very disapointed with Imperial Rooms

Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank WALDOPERTH
Gloucester, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2010

We've just returned from a short break in Rome, and stayed in the Imperial Rooms. The location could not be better, with the Colosseum just over the road, and the Forum and Palatine Hill just a tiny bit further. There were also some good restaurants nearby, and the train station a couple of minutes walk to make further exploration of the city.

On arrival the receptionist noticed that my partner had a birthday during our stay, and on the evening before the birthday a complementary bottle of wine was left in the room with glasses and opener! It's things like this that, for us, turn a good place into a great place. Our room, although small, had everything we needed, and we especially liked the jacuzzi bath. I should point out that we had a room at the back on the first floor, and during the evening we could hear the bar downstairs, but not so much that it prevented us from sleeping. Our room was spotlessly clean. Breakfast was OK, mostly sweet pastries, and I'm a savoury kind of person, but it's the Italian way, and when in Rome...

In all, we loved this Hotel. The staff were really friendly and helpful, the room comfortable and the location is fabulous. We stayed in January and had a room at the back, maybe if you're staying during the warmer months it would be prudent to request a back room, as I would imagine it could get quite noisy out front.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Montyspaw
Rotterdam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2009

This hotel is located right next to the Colosseum above a couple of loud bars. Even at the third floor, the single glazed windows at the front did not at all keep the noise out of the tiny room. The bars below were open till 2 AM and the public stayed on the street till about 4 AM. Live music is featured on Wednesdays. Don't stay here if you can't sleep in a noisy environment (even on the third floor).

The location is great, right next to the Colosseum and very close to the metro. However, if you like to visit the other main sites by foot, you have to walk around the Foro Romano every time, which is a pain. Hotels near Termini might then be a better, cheaper pick.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank UnlimitedRotterdam
Boston, San Francisco, London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2008

I was in town for a conference and needed to be near a metro station. The hotel is about one block from the Colosseum station. The fact that this hotel was practically across the street from the Colosseum was a huge bonus. And the fact that there is a super lively gay nightlife street scene downstairs was an extra bonus...a perfect place for a nightcap before going to sleep. My colleague and I met and chatted with some interesting locals at one of the streetside cafes.

From this hotel, you have the Colosseum and the park holding the Domus Aureus within sight. Within 8 minutes walk, you have the entrance to the old Roman Forum, the Palatino, and Emperor's quarters. And within 15 minutes walk you are at the Piazza Campidoglio, Piazza Venetia, and monument to Vittorio Emmanuel.

The night scene on the street below is very loud. I was up on the third floor with a room facing the street, but with the double glazed windows closed, the room was quiet and I had no problems sleeping. I imagine the noise to be a little louder on the first floor (reception is on the ground floor) so if you are a light sleeper, then you should request a room in the back if you end up on the 1st floor.

The rooms were always very clean and are of a decent size and the bed was very comfortable. Mine had an en suite bath. My colleague's room did not, so he had to use a bathroom that was just down the hall.

The hotel offered a good price that included breakfast at a cafe around the corner. Many other hotels in Rome cost much more, and give you far less. The front desk is also staffed 24 hours each day. There is free wireless internet but you can only really access the signal from the ground or 1st floors; you need your own ethernet cable if you need internet in your room (but I dont know if it is free or not). I would definitely stay here again. But I would not recommend this hotel for elderly people who cannot navigate stairs (the building is from the 1500's and has no elevator) or for people who cannot tolerate the idea of there being several lively cafe/bars and gay nightlife just outside the hotel.

• Liked — Location with view of Colosseum, lively bars and restaurants down below
  • Disliked — No stairs, wireless internet signal didn't reach to the upper floors
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Donny918