All reviewsmassage chairfoot massagertoaster oventorre argentinacat sanctuarycoffee machineflights of stairsjet showerfully stocked fridgespa showerunique hotelno elevatorroman historywithin walking distanceheart of romecentral locationevery amenity
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The reviews we read were totally justified. The location is ideal and you're well placed for several of the main locations.......Pantheon, Trevi etc. It's possible to eat really well around these attractions too....the tourist menus are excellent value . The hotel gives you some guidance on this as well. The hotel owners and staff are extremely courteous and helpful and Michele sat us down and pointed out some hidden treasures of this amazing city about which he's clearly well informed. The rooms are amazing.......so much effort has gone into their design and my daughter and partner both loved the back massage chair......a serious bit of kit! Breakfast making facilities are in place as well as a mini bar. How many hotels do you stay in where you can get a beer in your room for under a pound and a prosecco for just over? The reviews are correct. This place is superb. Book without hesitation. You'll love it!

2  Thank StuartGGalston
Reviewed 25 October 2013

If you want a central location in Rome, an extremely knowledgable host that is generous with information and assistance, a clean room and bath at the end of a long day touring, and a reasonable price then Pensione Barrett is perfect.

If you are juggling work demands requiring seamless Internet and cell phone coverage for working in your room this is not a good option. (unfortunately, I found myself in this frustrating situation - I know, stupid to take work on vacation but it was an emergency requiring privacy) Also, the lack of an elevator will limit guests to those who can climb stairs.

The hotel, including the rooms, are decorated in a heavy boroque, quirky style that is very charming.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mbchalk
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We were welcomed with a map and an introduction by our most gracious host he showed us where to go to check out art work and sculptures hidden by most of the tour guides. Fantastic information, we also managed to pick up tickets for the coliseum in the no wait line. When we went there was over 500 people in line, we zipped right by. The rooms are decorated in the roman fashion and overlook a dig in the centre of Rome dating to 700 BC . We watched from our window. Even though our room was on the main drag after closing the shutters and the windows it was dark and quiet. A great place to stay when you want to walk everywhere, nothing was father than15 minutes very central, good restaurants right near by. Room are little small but we were only there to sleep.

Room Tip: If you want more quiet you can ask for an inside room.
Reviewed 23 October 2013

It is a most unusual hotel. They occupy a few few floors in an old buidling with a courtyard. You must head up to the second floor for reception but do not worry because their staff will bring all your belongings upstairs. The rooms all have the feeling of ancient Rome. Exposed beams, beautiful artwork and statues in your room. The rooms have a massage chair, massage machines for your feet as well as water jets in their showers. The rooms are loaded with snacks and crossiants which inlcude a toaster to heat them as well as a refrigerator for your use. The reception area though small is loaded with fine art and statues. The owners are the best. We had trouble calling our van service as they gave us the wrong numbers. The owner sat on the phone for close to 15 minutes trying all different ways to dial it. We felt bad but they didn't mind at all. They were ready with information as to where to go and eat, as well as directions to all sites. The hotel is located in the heart of the ancient district and there are most bus lines are located within a block and they take you all over the city including a few short stops to Termini which is their main bus terminal. I msut also say thanks to Alberto, their overnight person who also was most helpful. You can take a taxi for about 60 Euros. You can also take a train from the airport to Termini and from there it is a very short ride to the hotel.
The entrance is different from other hotels. There are two big wooden doors which lead to a courtyard. You buzz the front desk and they will let you in. As you enter the courtyard there is an iron gate on the left. Buzz again and you are in the stairway leading up to the reception area. There is always someone on duty 24/7 and they hold the room key which was a plus as I didn't have to carry it all day.
Would I stay here if I visit Rome again? I wouldn't stay anywhere else! We were here from Oct.4-7

Room Tip: We had a room facing the front of the hotel. The windows are brand new and double paned. We had no problem with noise at all. A/C is extra at 10 Euros a day. We used it and it worked fine
1  Thank Alan S
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Why Pensione Barrett Is rated so highly on Tripadvisor is a mystery to me. Their quirky website should have warned me off. I am thankful that I only stayed one night there, during a break in a train trip from Sicily to Bologna.

First, the good point: the location is great--it is close to the Pantheon, Forum, and Campo di Fiori. Within a few steps, there are two fine bars for a great cappuccino and breakfast pastry.

Now, the drawbacks:

To begin with, I requested a quiet, non-smoking room and asked for directions by public transport from Termini, Rome's central station. I struck out on all counts. The directions the B&B provided were from the airport or a regional train line. In other words, the directions were totally useless for someone arriving from the main train station. Even more aggravating was that a bus I could have boarded at the station stopped in front of the hotel.

In addition, not only was my room clearly intended for smokers--an ashtray was one of the many items on the cluttered desk--it was also anything but quiet. The room (and window) was directly above Torre Argentina, a busy square with busses, sirens, conversations of passers-by, and music from buskers. The noise level was very high. The weather was still quite warm and the room was uncomfortably stuffy and humid, so closing the window without some circulation was out of the question.

When I arrived, I was processed in--and I use the word 'processed' because there was little welcome or warmth in the way I was received. The woman who took me to my room spoke only Italian, which I understood fairly well, but I could not make her understand my questions.

Shortly after I arrived, I returned to the reception desk to ask about air conditioning and web access. No one was there, so I looked around the area for the exit to the street, thinking I could rouse someone by using the buzzer on the entry door, down two very long flights of stairs (there is no elevator). That was when I realized I wasn't sure how to get out--the reception area was so confusing when I initially came in that I simply couldn't remember the direction from which I came. A door was marked 'Emergency Exit' but I was afraid it might be intended ONLY for emergencies--many doors marked like that in the US have alarms that go off if you try to use the door for non-emergency exits. Clearly no one was around to answer questions, so I went back to my room to call the reception desk and night number--and still couldn't get an answer--this was around 7 pm. Finally someone from the reception called me back, just as I was beginning to wonder how I was going to get out of the place to find dinner.

When I asked for the air conditioning, I was informed that I would have to pay an extra 10 euros, which I forked over just to assure a decent night's sleep. Frankly, that was highway robbery considering that I had requested a quiet room and did nothing to improve my rapidly souring opinion.

Although the room was small, it had great potential--which was not achieved. Its exposed wood rafter ceiling and Baroque architectural elements were overwhelmed by clutter--most of it associated with supplies for breakfast. The B&B doesn't offer a proper breakfast. Instead, rooms are equipped with a pod-style coffee maker, tea bags, plastic containers of UHT cream, and enough pre-packaged junk food to put a healthy person into a diabetic coma. Baskets filled with the packages cover the desk and most available surfaces, so don't expect any space to put your own toiletries. The prices on the 'food' are cheap, but who comes to Italy to eat that kind of swill? (Should you be unlucky enough to stay here, go to one of the aforementioned bars and have a couple of cappuccini and a fresh, baked-on-the premises pastry for under 3 Euros.)

Back to the room: The small entrance way was made even smaller by a pants press that stuck out into the narrow area left for passage--and the only place to put my small suitcase was on the floor between the window and bed, thereby blocking access to one of the night tables.

The wifi was free and supposedly available in the room--but I couldn't pick it up; so much for that amenity. I didn't try to access WiFi in the reception area--which was also as cluttered with tchotchkes as my room.

Do yourself a favor and steer away from this place. The price may look good, but you are not getting very good value for your money. You can find pleasanter, more comfortable digs for your stay in Rome that will leave you with pleasant memories--not feeling cheated and uncomfortably cramped.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo