“Excellent location, 2 min walk from Roma termini.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Tokyo Hotel

Tokyo Hotel
Ranked #2,683 of 3,752 Rome B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“Excellent location, 2 min walk from Roma termini.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

From train station, exit via Marsala, cross the street then turn right about 2 min, hotel door is always closed for safety so tell the staff by using the answering machine on the wall.Breakfast is a cup of coffee and croissant. Show your coupon to the coffee shop ,2 blocks on the right side.Please don't go to the cafeteria next door, the women waiter will be very upset when she sees your coupon and drives you away without any information. It's heartless manner you will never get in my country, Thailand.All facilities are Okay for a budget hotel but the old man receptionist is very warm. I do appreciate him.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank พรศรี ป

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Located right opposite Rome railway terminal the hotel is well situated for all Rome has to offer.
The hotel entrance is a rather grubby affair with the hotel actually located on the 4th floor. The entrance way from the street is only to access the lift as the hotel reception is on the 4th floor.
The room we were allocated was nicely decorated and clean.
Breakfast which was a croissants and tea or coffee was taken in a cafe next to the hotel.
Not the Ritz but all in all clean and comfy and totally adequate for the price paid.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank MuzznKaff
Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Beware to all single or female travelers out there.

Before checking in, I emailed and called multiple times to remind the hotel that we will check in at about 12am to 12:30 since our flight will arrive late at night.

At about 12:15nn, we arrived at an old building across Termini station and found that the actual "hotel" was a single floor, fourth floor, of the whole building. What's more was we had a lot of luggage for a Europe trip and we had no idea how to operate the old, cage like, old school elevator that can hold up to five individuals.

So I ran to the fourth floor to ask for assistance while my companion was left to guard our luggage. At 12:20am, I arrived to find the "manager" closing up the "hotel", even though I specified to wait for us till 12:30am. As soon as I got near him, I could smell the stench of alcohol and old unwashed clothes.

In the hotel industry, everyone knows that how you present can make or break your business. Unfortunately, the latter seems to be the case. I asked the guy to assist us with our luggage before we check in and he, rather slowly, insisted that I check in first. So I did. And he, with a glacial pace, checked me in while openly (and disturbingly) checked me out.

Now, we were two females travelling and it frightened me out to think that we would be staying in an establishment of an old balding man, who at first meeting, was already giving me the red signal.

We then proceeded to the elevator where he kept eyeing me up and down while leaning with one hand to the wall, asking if I need a masseuse for the night, hinting he was an expert at the Swedish massage. Ew.

As if to make things more suspicious, after checking in, he informed us that after January 2012, the Italian government imposed a hotel tax on all professional establishments, excluding hostels. (which is funny because this seems to be one) The tax is 2 euros per person per night. We traveled as a pair and we were staying for two nights so that's the additional 8 euros. Having paid in advance via agoda, it irked us that we were not informed beforehand. Had we known, we would have booked a much more decent place to stay in.

Service aside, the room itself was larger than the rooms we stayed in London and Paris. Shabby decor and modestly clean. Towels were provided. The shared bathroom was old, questionably clean if you do not count the old brown stains on the wall and the shower door that won't close properly. Bed was large and comfortable.

The following day, while preparing to check out, we were surprised to find the cleaning lady had keys to our room because she WALKED in on us while dressing up. To make matters worse, she glared at us then left without even apologizing.
Yes,cleaning lady with keys to your room would normally be okay in a PROFESSIONAL hotel but the staff seemed to be untrained kind and to be honest, I was paranoid to leave my personal belongings with them.

It was nine thirty in the morning when I decided to take a late shower. I then heard somebody knock on the door five times. With each passing knock, it became louder and louder. So, in fifteen minutes, I was fully dressed and done with my business. I opened the door, ready to make a full but honestly unnecessary guest who wanted to use the bathroom after me. Turns out, it was the cleaning lady/manager. She was mad that I decided to take a bath when she wanted to clean the bathroom. Yikes.

Definitely checking out for good. Somebody had to teach this people a thing about service and manners.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OrangeinTraveller

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Poznan, Poland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

I took it this one, just because wanted something cheap for one night. Unfortunately, today I just wish I spent a bit more and stayed in a bit more expensive place, but with higher standard. First, my reservation wasn’t there when I came, so I had to wait 30 minutes to prepare the room. Then when I was taking a shower, the person working there switched off the light in the bathroom on purpose, because apparently it wasn’t the shower I was suppose to use… The rooms were extremely basic, more like a hostel. I wouldn’t call it a hotel, but a poor hostel. The only good thing about it was its location.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Jerzy N
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

we stayed here 3 nights, great location, very clean, quite, priced right, breakfast included, staff was very helpful, also a lift for suitcases. I will go back if in Rome again. I recommended this place to everyone I spoke with on our cruise, that was going back to Rome.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank deeneli
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

Finding a reasonably priced hotel in Rome that is relatively close to the sites was difficult. Tokyo seemed like an okay stop (it had 3 stars when I initially checked it...) Yikes. They use the word "hotel" very loosely here. It was definitely more like a hostel, and I would never stay there again.
1. Questionable cleanliness (hair, dirt on the floor; shower drain contained mysterious white substance...)
2. Water in the shower was freezing (learned that we had to run the faucet on the sink for a few minutes and then we would have about 1 minute of hot water in the shower)
3. Like many hotels in Europe, they don't have a 24 hour reception area. We arrived at about 9:30 and nobody was there to let us in or help us out. It was a bit scary and we had just come off of traveling to Rome, and wanted to get rid of our bags. It was kind of disconcerting as there was no indication of when they would return.
The positive was that it had air conditioning and it was a close walk to the train station so we could get the hell out of there!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family