This place is an absolute scam. My husband and I booked the hotel through Kayak a couple weeks in advance of our arrival in September 2013. Somehow, we apparently booked the room for one person as opposed to two. When we arrived at the hotel, the check-in initially went fine: we got our room keys and went up to our room. About 10 minutes later, the receptionist calls our room and tells us that the room was only booked for one person, so we have to pay an additional 50 euros per night for the "additional person." We told the receptionist that we would call Kayak to find out what had happened with our reservation, but he wouldn't even let us stay in the room to make the call. We had to come back down to the lobby with our luggage and make the call from downstairs.
So we're sitting in the lobby trying to sort things out with Kayak and got nowhere (as a side note, don't ever book through Kayak either, they will provide you with no safety guarantee whatsoever). The (extremely rude) receptionist then basically told us that we would have to dish out the extra money or leave and lose the $1,000+ we had already paid for the reservation. My husband asked to speak to the manager, but he wouldn't even come out of his office to speak to us; my husband spoke with him on the lobby telephone, and could hear him talking in the room next door! He couldn't even face us as upset customers.
So we were left in the vulnerable position of either paying the extra money, or losing the money that we had already paid and try to find a different hotel. We paid the additional amount the hotel demanded and went back to our room. That night, we looked up the room rates on the hotel's own website to see if there was in fact a price difference for a one-person reservation as opposed to a two-person reservation. Lo and behold, the price was the exact same, even for a last minute reservation (see attached photos). We took screen shots on our cell phone of the prices so that we could take the issue up with the manager (again) the next day. When we spoke to the manager (this time in person), he basically told us that this was the hotel's policy, and didn't "believe" that we had found the identical rates online. He wouldn't even look us in the eyes. It was ultimately evident that we weren't going to be getting our money back, and decided to take the issue up with our credit card company and Kayak when we got back home, instead of letting this scam of an establishment ruin the rest of our vacation.
Please, save yourself the headache and don't book a room here. You will be scammed for extra money or will be left with no reservation. There is absolutely no sense of customer service here: we were customers who booked a reservation weeks in advance, and made an error in booking a room for one person as opposed to two. If the hotel did in fact have a "policy" of charging for extra people, then the price difference would have been reflected online on the hotel's own website. But when we looked at the prices for a same-day, last minute reservation, the prices were identical, irrespective of how many people were staying in the room. We had stayed in 5 different hotels on this trip, and this was by far the worst!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Relais Trevi Fountain RomeWelcome to the Relais Trevi Fountain in the historical centre of Rome, the ideal accommodation for an unforgettable romantic break in one of the world’s oldest and most spellbinding cities. Our luxury rooms & suites in the historical centre of Rome has undergone recent refurbishment to make it an immaculate yet personable accommodation in which you can set your mind at ease and make the most out of the cityThe Trevi FountainOne of Rome’s most popular landmarks and probably the most famous fountain in the world, the stunning Fontana di Trevi was immortalised in the 1960 classic Fellini film La Dolce Vita, starring Marcello Mastroianni and Anita Ekberg - who famously frolics in the fountain on a balmy Roman night. Needless to say, frolicking in the fountain today will probably land you with a hefty fine to pay, but if you can resist diving in, this beautiful Renaissance masterpiece is generally regarded as one of Rome’s most romantic spots.Our LocationTaking our name from the fountain, which is just a few metres away from the entrance to our luxury rooms & suites, the Relais Fontana di Trevi puts guests deep in the cobble-stoned heart of renaissance Rome, with other landmarks such as the Spanish Steps and Piazza Barberini within easy walking distance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Priceline, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Relais Fontana Di Trevi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Relais Fontana Di Trevi Hotel Rome
- Relais Fontana Di Trevi Rome